ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

E85 front and rear brake upgrade

Hi,
I have an 04 roadster and am considering upgrading the front and rear brake set up to go along with upgrading the stock 17" rims to 18".
There is lots of good info about the upgrades on here but has anyone successfully upgraded using stock BMW parts that actually work together.
A compilation of all this great info would be invaluable.
I am researching as I go and will post my findings also.

Thanks
Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

You want a proper bbk? Or just install the larger front disc/caliper from the FL 3.0si model?

As for 'OEM' bbk goes: ECS tuning has a set made up form OEM BBK parts which is a straight bolt on and looks the part:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-3.0i...OEM/ES2215444/
It's basically the front BMW performance calipers from a m3/130i and a performance disc from an e46 330i (325mm).

This kit is also a good streetworthy set: a lot of aftermarket BBK sets are very track oriented. That means that the pistons in the calipers have no dust shields. For track/race applications that's OK because after every race you should completely refurbush your calipers (and you clean away the dust and if the piston wall is scratched, you buy a new caliper), but on the street that means that dirt and dust finds its way into the pistons with risk of scratching the piston wall resulting in brake fluid leakage (the o ring in the piston can't seal scratches), and that's very dangerous. So always pick a BBK with dust shields around the pistons when using it for street applications.

I don't know if there are any rear bolt on BBK's on the market and if they preserve the e-brake. I made my own rear BBK consisting of matching rear performance 130i calipers and rear x3 brake discs. But you'll need a lathe (to adjust the discs and make spacers) and a welder (to make custom e-brake pads).
See this topic:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751080
It works very well in combination with the ECS kit.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Brembo's have dust boots - a great inexpensive route is using brakes from an E46 330...
      05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Well, if you've got you mind set on bigger brakes there are a lot of options. But, if your just interested in better street stopping, upgrade your pads. Not as sexy but just as effective for street use. That being said I have purchased a couple of BBK's more for the ability to quickly change pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist View Post
a great inexpensive route is using brakes from an E46 330...
They do not fit. Front disc is different (different offset) and in the rear the disc (again the offset) and e-brake are a problem.
see my post in http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442217 with explanation and specs/drawings.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
They do not fit. Front disc is different (different offset) and in the rear the disc (again the offset) and e-brake are a problem.
see my post in http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442217 with explanation and specs/drawings.
The calipers are the same between the 3.0si and the E46 330, rotors, pads are all the same too. What you need to do is get ALL the brake hardware from a donor car if you've a non si Z4. Looks like the rear is still non 330 though...
      05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Front will porbably swap (still the z4 3.0si has different discs (part numbers) and once I spoke someone who did/tried the 330i front swap and he said it didn't line up properly, so don't put your money on that!), but rear definately won't fit!

Just read the thread in the link and more closely my post with the dimensions from the calipers. They hold the proof.

The rear calipers won't line up and the e-brake won't fit (different diameter). A 330i has a completely different trailing arm/bearing hub, so you have to swap that too. And even then you can mount the brakes, but still it doesn't fit properly because then you have wrong track width! (z4 has different track width than a e46). The z4 achieves this by a different drive flange hub. And if you swap that... you've guessed it.... the calipers won't line up. So there is no correct 1:1 swap.
To make it work you'll have to make something like adjusting washers between caliper carrier and trailing arm/bearing hub (which you still have to swap). Or do something like I did (make your own e-brake shoes and remanufacture/remake parts etc). Then you have complete technical freedom.

Quote:
Brembo's have dust boots
Actually it's more of a scraper ring, but it performs the same job. The bmw performance calipers are brembo made, and have the same parts (they're brembo 6 piston calipers in a custom bmw design). I don't know if all brembo sets have these scraper rings, but considering it's Brembo and Brembo price, I imagine that you can get what you want and that real track sets wont have scraper rings (they can melt because they're closer to the pads and discs)

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-20-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Fronts will swap (you need everything incl caliper mounts)... rears will not. Front's do most of the braking and will result in a huge increase in braking ability.

EDIT: I took the liberty of checking the only other component to affect fitment, the kingpin. The part number between the E36 330 and the Z4 is the same. I checked my 2006 SI and an early 2.5l fitment, they are all the same.

Last edited by norcal_cyclist; 05-20-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
. The part number between the E36 330 and the Z4 is the same.
You mean the E46 I presume
I also don't know why the z4 3.0si has a different OEM brake disc part number. BMW somehow saw the need for that.

But as I said, once I spoke a guy who tried the 330i-z4 front brake swap and he said that his mechanic said that it didn't line up properly. He got the parts used, so maybe he got wrong parts or so. I wasn't there. I haven't done the swap myself, I have the ECS BBK set.
If you look at dimensions from brembo the front discs should be the same, and as you said: kingpin and caliper/carrier are the same for the e46 330i and e85 3.0si.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You mean the E46 I presume
I also don't know why the z4 3.0si has a different OEM brake disc part number. BMW somehow saw the need for that.

But as I said, once I spoke a guy who tried the 330i-z4 front brake swap and he said that his mechanic said that it didn't line up properly. He got the parts used, so maybe he got wrong parts or so. I wasn't there. I haven't done the swap myself, I have the ECS BBK set.
If you look at dimensions from brembo the front discs should be the same, and as you said: kingpin and caliper/carrier are the same for the e46 330i and e85 3.0si.
Uh yeah THAT E46

For the front all the part number match, there's no difference. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work... unless he took parts from an E36 330..