ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Ready to upgrade my brakes. Need ideas.

So I have been tracking this car for 4 years now (about 12-15 days per year). I have OEM rotors and calipers, with SS lines, and tried many different pads.

I am now using Performance Friction 06
Used DTC60, HP Plus, HT10... I like the PF06

Now my front rotors have those pesky little cracks around the holes.

I track with NT01s

Now what should I do? BBK? so many to choose, or just upgrade calipers and rotors like Racing brake kit. Front only or all for corners?

Need something soon. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

For the type of driving you do, I'd just go all out with a BBK at that point. It's worth the money in fade resistance

AP, Brembo, StopTech...They're all good choices for the Z4M.

BTW, those were just listed in alphabetical order. Doesn't mean one is any better than the other. I hear 4pot front and rear is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Should i use a slightly less abrasive compound in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Based on my previous experiences with our OEM brakes on the M Coupé, I still have a feeling that these brakes are good, and all I should do is upgrade the discs.

I don't have brake fading problems like I used to the first year I was tracking this car. Experience and brake pads upgrade have helped.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The cracks are par for the course. No matter what you do, you'll see those cracks develop. As long as they're not deep enough to catch fingernails, you're fine.

I've got upgraded rotors from RacingBrake and they started to develop microscopic surface cracks (only visible under the right lighting condition) fairly quickly. Surface cracks develop from the rapid heating and cooling cycles we typically see on track, so even BLANKS will start developing them.

If it really bothers you, brake ducting is probably the most likely solution to keep the cracks away. This way, the brakes can heat up to operating temperature, but they'll be kept cool enough where the temperature delta between the constant heating and cooling cycles aren't big enough to stress crack the surface.

I'm picking up RacingBrake's 4 piston aluminum caliper upgrade for the OE system next week, will install prior to Auto Club Speedway (one of the MOST brake intensive tracks out in California) on May 3rd and report back, although I've never had brake issues with track pads on the MZ4 Coupe (knock on wood), this is mainly to see if I can get more consistent brake pedal feel for better modulation, and avoid the dreaded uneven brake pad deposit that ALWAYS seems to crop up no matter how smooth I try to be on the brakes.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Based on my previous experiences with our OEM brakes on the M Coupé, I still have a feeling that these brakes are good, and all I should do is upgrade the discs.

I don't have brake fading problems like I used to the first year I was tracking this car. Experience and brake pads upgrade have helped.
I don't know enough to really say, but if you're happy with the stock brake performance you could always just start with racing break rotors: front, rear.

Then if you decide you need more, get a BBK.
      04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If it really bothers you, brake ducting is probably the most likely solution to keep the cracks away. This way, the brakes can heat up to operating temperature, but they'll be kept cool enough where the temperature delta between the constant heating and cooling cycles aren't big enough to stress crack the surface.

I'm picking up RacingBrake's 4 piston aluminum caliper upgrade for the OE system next week, will install prior to Auto Club Speedway (one of the MOST brake intensive tracks out in California) on May 3rd and report back, although I've never had brake issues with track pads on the MZ4 Coupe (knock on wood), this is mainly to see if I can get more consistent brake pedal feel for better modulation, and avoid the dreaded uneven brake pad deposit that ALWAYS seems to crop up no matter how smooth I try to be on the brakes.
DSC_OFF and Exdos have done some nice work with ducting. DSC's is for the 3.0, but the the same concepts apply to the MZ4. Exdos thread is over on the UK Z4 forum--he mentions it here.

Hack, are you getting both the front and rear caliper upgrade? Either way, interested in hearing what you have to report back. I have the front RB rotors, probably getting rears too, and I'm considering the caliper upgrade for the same reasons you state.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
DSC_OFF and Exdos have done some nice work with ducting. DSC's is for the 3.0, but the the same concepts apply to the MZ4. Exdos thread is over on the UK Z4 forum--he mentions it here.

Hack, are you getting both the front and rear caliper upgrade? Either way, interested in hearing what you have to report back. I have the front RB rotors, probably getting rears too, and I'm considering the caliper upgrade for the same reasons you state.
Just the front. I have a feeling that's all this car needs anyway. If the pedals still aren't consistent and I'm still getting uneven pad deposit, then I'll seriously think about the rears too. But from 6+ years of using track pads, I've only seen the deposit pattern on the front rotors, not the rear, which suggests to me that the front brakes do the majority of the work ANYWAY the way I brake.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

We are more than likely getting the PFC 4-piston front for our race car (3.0si coupe). They aren't crazy in price for what you're getting and from what I've read have the best pedal feel of any caliper on the market since you're getting the true motorports version of the brakes.
They also have 23mm pads so you won't have to worry about track pads for most of the season. We're going to try to get 12 hours out of one set of pads, which should be doable. Lighter cars have gone a full 24 hours on one set of pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

PF06 is an awesome pad. Ran them all day at PIR and Thunderhill on stock brakes on my M3, never faded. If you don't mind a short rotor life they are the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
The HACK
Rep

Just picked them up from RacingBrake. Will install this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Just picked them up from RacingBrake. Will install this weekend.

Awaiting impressions eagerly.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Awaiting impressions eagerly.
Well, you won't get impressions until after May 3rd when I have had a chance to shake it down.

You WILL get pictures of the install though. I plan on documenting the entire process as thorough as I can.

RB did give me a set of XT970 pads for the front calipers to try out, let's see if these will measure up against the DTC60s I've been using. Not entirely scientific, I know.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Hack, so you're using the RB calipers with the OEM rotors? I was thinking of going that route as I have an unused set of OEM rotors in my closet that I could use with RB calipers. I'm also interested in the install as well as how well they work. Good luck.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Hack has RB rotors. Stock diameter though IIRC (except new they're a bit thicker). I believe you can run the RB calipers with OEM rotors, so that's an option if you want to improve feel, etc. while using what you have on hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
The HACK
Rep

I can show you what the stock rotors look like with the 4 piston fixed caliper, since I took the RB rotor off the car to have them install the new rotor ring (and the car is currently riding on my spare stock rotor). But the plan is to install RB rotors front and back with the RB calipers for Auto Club Speedway in May.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

I would go BBK if I were you. I have PF BBK right now
and it's one of the best mod I did to the car. Feeling is awesome, pedal is firm and precise. Simply love it.

I had Stoptech St-40 before and they were good but feeling is way better with the PF. But PF are hard to find used vs Stoptech.

If running the stock wheels, maybe they won't clear the BBK.
Appreciate 0