ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Replacing Z4M seats with recaro pole positions

Anyone changed their M seats for racing seats (recaro/cobra). Am considering doing it myself but was wondering what kind of hurdles I'd have to jump through first (airbag issues/base frames fitting/squeaks rattles etc).

What kind of price could I get for my oems?...trying to offset the cost of the upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

Pretty sure Recaro makes bases for the Z4, as well as VAC motorsports http://www.vacmotorsports.com/ .

The airbag light will be on, I don't know if you can get the dealership to turn it off or not.

And if you were in the US, I'd gladly take the M seats off your hands. Good condition, common colored leather would probably go in the $500-1000/pair range.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Yeah I'd pay $1k for your OEM M seats anyday. Too bad shipping would be absolutely brutal though.
      05-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I'm in the process of putting in some Cobra Suzuka's. I'm building my own base plates instead of the VAC ones so I can make them perfect for what I need ( 3/4" thick aluminum plate like the VAC's, but only with the size / holes I need to keep weight down). I made some mock ones out of Oak first to make sure I got the perfect size / fit / seat placement.

It's a pretty labor intensive job so far, but I'm really looking forward to getting it all together. Hopefully I'll have the plates finished this week so I can get them anodized and put in.

As far as the Airbag SRS light. From what I've learned so far the only way past that is to either get a resistor wired in somehow ( I've heard this doesn't work tho ) or to get a passenger seat occupancy mat out of a stock Z4 M Sport seat and place it under the passenger seat padding / plug it in. That said, I asked the dealer about getting one, and here in the US they only sell it with the base of the seat / leather & foam included for $1500.00.... Yikes. They said I could try to get it separately in EU, but I haven't asked anyone about that yet.

All in all tho, I'm really excited to see the total weight dropped in the end... I'm optimistic it's going to be between 75-100 lbs after the addition of the mounting plates / harness bar and seat belts. I've heard the stock seats weigh 70 lbs a side, and they do feel super heavy, but I haven't weighed them yet to confirm.

As far as selling your seats.. I'd keep 'em, because you never know what you'll do in the future, and the OEM price of them in the US is $4k each if you need to replace them.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

The z4M seats are pretty light compares to other BMW seats. I don't think you will see much reduction in weight. Maybe 10lbs a seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

no way, expect a huge weight savings
      05-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
The z4M seats are pretty light compares to other BMW seats. I don't think you will see much reduction in weight. Maybe 10lbs a seat.
Going from a stock Z4M seat to a fixed cabon or FRP backed bucket seat will save much more than 10lbs, in most cases you'd gain that alone in the mounting brackets. I'll likely tackle this in the future in an effort to save some weight as well, but can tell you that in our 996tt which also "Felt" light during removal, we where able to save a net savings of over 70lbs by switching to Status Ring seats with appropriate hardware, I'm willing to bet the Z4M will present a similar savings. Anything lighter than factory is an improvement in my books.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
I'm in the process of putting in some Cobra Suzuka's. I'm building my own base plates instead of the VAC ones so I can make them perfect for what I need ( 3/4" thick aluminum plate like the VAC's, but only with the size / holes I need to keep weight down). I made some mock ones out of Oak first to make sure I got the perfect size / fit / seat placement.

It's a pretty labor intensive job so far, but I'm really looking forward to getting it all together. Hopefully I'll have the plates finished this week so I can get them anodized and put in.

As far as the Airbag SRS light. From what I've learned so far the only way past that is to either get a resistor wired in somehow ( I've heard this doesn't work tho ) or to get a passenger seat occupancy mat out of a stock Z4 M Sport seat and place it under the passenger seat padding / plug it in. That said, I asked the dealer about getting one, and here in the US they only sell it with the base of the seat / leather & foam included for $1500.00.... Yikes. They said I could try to get it separately in EU, but I haven't asked anyone about that yet.

All in all tho, I'm really excited to see the total weight dropped in the end... I'm optimistic it's going to be between 75-100 lbs after the addition of the mounting plates / harness bar and seat belts. I've heard the stock seats weigh 70 lbs a side, and they do feel super heavy, but I haven't weighed them yet to confirm.

As far as selling your seats.. I'd keep 'em, because you never know what you'll do in the future, and the OEM price of them in the US is $4k each if you need to replace them.

Hope this helps...
Which Suzuka's did you go for? Im really tempted by the techs but realistically Ill go for the standard pros in alcantara. Hopefully they wont wear badly as this will be a DD too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

It's gonna be ALOT more than 10lbs a seat... the stockers supposedly weigh 70 lbs EACH, these Cobra's weigh 20 each. Like I said, I'll weigh it all when I get the brackets done. We have a digital shipping scale here at work so it'll be accurate.

I weighed the stock battery and it was 49lbs !!!! I just got a Braille BB2317 battery that weighs 17lbs ( no not the poser carbon one either... hahaha ) to replace it that they said would be OK for DD use... guess we'll see.

I just got the kevlar Suzuka S with the Rock fabric... Got them used, but they look BRAND NEW, and I got them for a steal ! Looking at recovering them in Alcantara and having some White top stitching done. One thing at a time tho.... If I got them new, I def woulda gone the Pro route like you're saying. These seats are so comfortable... can't wait to get it all in !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

first pair I've seen in a Z4 with painted backs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

That looks amazing - more pics and info please
      05-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
first pair I've seen in a Z4 with painted backs
NO WAY. I was thinking of doing mine just like that... and the diamond stitching as well like a DBS... hahahahahaha

That looks pretty sick ! Any idea of more pics or whose car it is ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

the car belongs to forum member sixspeed
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Well, I guess I won't be doing that then... glad you posted it. hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

WOWOWOWOWOW. that looks incredible.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

The main benefit is added side support for aggressive track and canyon driving, and the ability to run harnesses. Comfort will be less than stock unless you have custom cushions made. Weight savings over stock M power adjustable and heated seats will be huge but not terribly significant over full-manual non-power M seats.
      05-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I find racing seats to be pretty comfortable. I've driven 21 hours non stop in sparco torinos with no back pain
      05-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sparco Torinos aren't race seats, they're more like sporty OEM seats. The Pole Position is a pretty hardcore race shell with relatively little padding. Not necessarily uncomfortable, but not as nice as stock seats in that department. I ran Recaro SPGs in my last car, which are a more aggressive, narrower version of the Pole Position and I was ok with spending all day in them. My passengers though, had a very different opinion...
      05-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I almost put a set of these in the car.

Just under 6lbs without hardware, surprisingly they're not as uncomfortable as they look. I'm 5'11 /160 and they held me in the seat quite well, real ergonomic.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #21
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep

Help again! Im tearing my hair out trying to figure how to bolt the seats (pole positions for example) to my car. Recaro dont make a subframe for the Z4. Most tuning workshops have no idea about the Z4...only the more mainstream models.

Grrr...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #22
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rage View Post
Help again! Im tearing my hair out trying to figure how to bolt the seats (pole positions for example) to my car. Recaro dont make a subframe for the Z4. Most tuning workshops have no idea about the Z4...only the more mainstream models.

Grrr...
There's a company here in the states called VAC Motorsports that makes seat mounting plates that you need to get. EAS also sells one by Macht Schnell... I'm not positive they have a Z4 fitment for them tho, you have to ask. I know VAC have a Z4 specific plate.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/in...78e1926a25eb50

So you need the mounting plates, AND the recaro side plates... The EAS ones look nice because they also have that bolt on plate for your lap harness.

So you bolt in the plates to your car, then the seat side plates down to the floor plate... You need to use 12.9 Socket Head Cap screw Allen Head Bolts, and make sure you get hardened steel washers for them all as well.
Appreciate 0