ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Z-8

I just saw a 2002 Z-8 on the BaT website. Just GORGEOUS!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Even nicer in real life; there is one in my town and it’s just amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
I just saw a 2002 Z-8 on the BaT website. Just GORGEOUS!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-25/

When I was Z4M shopping, one of the cars I was looking at was in a garage/storage location with 2 Z8s, a Z1, Z3Ms and Z4Ms. What a thrill!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmrbee View Post
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-25/

When I was Z4M shopping, one of the cars I was looking at was in a garage/storage location with 2 Z8s, a Z1, Z3Ms and Z4Ms. What a thrill!
it's unbelievable to me that someone would own a car like this for so long and have no more miles on it than the 4K shown. So much enjoyment, gone. Of course, the owner will make lotsa $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
it's unbelievable to me that someone would own a car like this for so long and have no more miles on it than the 4K shown. So much enjoyment, gone. Of course, the owner will make lotsa $$$.
Lotsa $$!!! well, not really. I just did a bit of a search and found the original MSRP was in the $130,000 up price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'd stay clear of the one on BaT just now. Original owner, lien needs to be paid off to release title?!? It's not the car loan anymore, so what is it? No seller responses to the discussion thread, never a good thing on BaT. I'm watching the thread to see if the whole thing explodes in drama.

As far as Z8's in general, I'm one of the apparently very few people who don't get what all the hoopla is about. At first I thought maybe it was because I had not seen one in person; nope. I've seen several, including the Alpina which people go even more gaga over. The wheels on the Alpina are unique -- that's the best thing I can say about them. As far as the rest of the design, it looks like the bastard child of an E Type and a whale shark. It's not ugly, it's just not all that pretty. And the gauges in the center of the dash are trite. On the plus side it does sound as though it's quite fun to drive. After you fix the front struts etc. to correct all of the engineering shortcomings.

Flamesuit on. I know I'm nearly alone in my thinking.
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

^^^^Lynch him for the blasphemy
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 2
wdb4695.50
WickedNy225.00
      07-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'd stay clear of the one on BaT just now. Original owner, lien needs to be paid off to release title?!? It's not the car loan anymore, so what is it? No seller responses to the discussion thread, never a good thing on BaT. I'm watching the thread to see if the whole thing explodes in drama.

As far as Z8's in general, I'm one of the apparently very few people who don't get what all the hoopla is about. At first I thought maybe it was because I had not seen one in person; nope. I've seen several, including the Alpina which people go even more gaga over. The wheels on the Alpina are unique -- that's the best thing I can say about them. As far as the rest of the design, it looks like the bastard child of an E Type and a whale shark. It's not ugly, it's just not all that pretty. And the gauges in the center of the dash are trite. On the plus side it does sound as though it's quite fun to drive. After you fix the front struts etc. to correct all of the engineering shortcomings.

Hey, it's your opinion...even if it is wrong....Jk

I like them, but not in awe of them
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
^^^^Lynch him for the blasphemy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
Hey, it's your opinion...even if it is wrong....Jk

I like them, but not in awe of them
What's really funny is that I think the 508 is drop-dead gorgeous. It leaps into the eye, and down the road.

How can I love the 508 and be so 'meh' on the Z8. What up with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's really funny is that I think the 508 is drop-dead gorgeous. It leaps into the eye, and down the road.

507/8 dream BMW
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

507/8 dream BMW
Because they are in fact sexier cars then the z8...no comparison
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The Z8 was unique in that it was the FIRST mass produced car with an all aluminum space frame. Truly a pioneering technology spearheaded by BMW. It was also produced during the “golden age” of BMW design, with the might E38, E39, E46, and the Z8 all designed and produced during the same 1999-2004 period. Nothing BMW produced after comes even close to the complete collection of industry leading, classic designs BMWs were known for at the time.

It’s also unique in that it was the first BMW designed to be a homage to an older BMW, the legendary 507 Roadster (AKA the BMW that nearly killed BMW). Again, none of the subsequent BMW “homage” cars are all that good looking or successful.

It was designed to be a halo car for BMW, with a ton of unique features at the time, like the aforementioned aluminum space-frame for a mass produced car. I believe it’s the first BMW with a start button. It had the S62 V-8 from the E39 M5, so at the time it had one of the best weight to power ration BMW produced at the time.

The knock on it has always been that, if BMW was going to make a halo “super car,” why the Z8? A front engine Roadster geared for cruising more than canyon carving. And despite ALL the aluminum used for the car, it’s still around 3,400 lbs. And it being all aluminum, and with advance for the time technology to bond with adhesive rather than weld, there’s a lot of issues with the frame bending on earlier builds.

But like all low production BMWs from the early 2000s, it’s the last of the great BMWs built during the hay day of BMW being the Ultimate Driving Machine. It didn’t sell well, but when it first came out, most dealerships were asking for $50,000-100,000 ABOVE MSRP for the car for about 12 months. But since only manuals were offered, once those that wanted the car bought it, the demand dried up and they needed to partner up with Alpina to make the Alpina Roadster to entice those that must have an automatic.

It’s an unique car during one of the most successful period of BMW history. I can see the allure. I can’t see me buying one and only put on 4,000 miles in almost 20 years though.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #13
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I got to take a ride in one when they were still in production. A few years before I came a car nut unfortunately but even then it felt special. If anything it's better looking now than it was then and it was always pretty.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I know a couple, friends of mine, who, when their investment portfolio wasn't doing so well a few years ago, decided to just cash out everything and invest in a vintage BMW. The price of 507s got so high it was out of their range, so they bought two Z8s. One (hers) was pristine and doesn't get driven much. The other (his) not quite as much. He drove his from San Diego to Greenville, SC and back last October. Pre-pandemic, I used to see it quite often at local BMW events.

If you're a BMW CCA member and a regular reader of the Roundel, you may know whom I'm talking about. He used to have a white Z4 M Roadster, Alpine White, a relatively rare color, with red aftermarket wheels. His license plate was "WOADSTER". Not sure if he still has it or not.

Years earlier, they should have bought that E30 M3 that recently sold for $250,000.

Also, little known fact, the Z8, not the Z3, was the inspiration for the Z4, designed at a much lower price point for a larger market.

Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #15
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
If you're a BMW CCA member and a regular reader of the Roundel, you may know whom I'm talking about.
I don't know him personally but we've bantered back and forth on BaT over Z8's in the past. He owes me a ride in his!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

mmmmmmmm......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I'm right there with you. I never saw the attraction of the Z8. The first few years had to be recalled to fix cracking front aluminum strut towers. The car was okay fast, but was expensive.

To me the Ford GT was the better choice at the same price point.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-28-2020 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
If you're a BMW CCA member and a regular reader of the Roundel, you may know whom I'm talking about.
Satch Carlson? He has 2 Z8s?

I have some story to tell. Back when the Pacific Region used to hold DEs at Auto Club Speedway almost annually, during an instructor session, I happened upon a "Dinan" E90 335i in front of me. That thing had torque to the end of the day, and ACS having that massive front straight and banked oval, he would just pull away and disappear from my view on the straights, and then I would ride his @ss for the rest of the lap. It got to a point where 3 laps in, he finally got sick of me riding his @ss, and gave me a point-by on the front straight...

Then proceeds to floor it.

It took me another lap to get by. I was furious by that time. 4+ laps @ ACS is like half the session. Once the session was over I made it a point to find the jack-hole that held me up, only to be confronted by a pink shirt wearing Satch laughing hysterically. "You should see the look on your face! And the steams coming out of your ears!"

Guy has a warped sense of humor that's for sure. Always a party and a half whenever he's around.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      07-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Satch Carlson? He has 2 Z8s?

I have some story to tell. Back when the Pacific Region used to hold DEs at Auto Club Speedway almost annually, during an instructor session, I happened upon a "Dinan" E90 335i in front of me. That thing had torque to the end of the day, and ACS having that massive front straight and banked oval, he would just pull away and disappear from my view on the straights, and then I would ride his @ss for the rest of the lap. It got to a point where 3 laps in, he finally got sick of me riding his @ss, and gave me a point-by on the front straight...

Then proceeds to floor it.

It took me another lap to get by. I was furious by that time. 4+ laps @ ACS is like half the session. Once the session was over I made it a point to find the jack-hole that held me up, only to be confronted by a pink shirt wearing Satch laughing hysterically. "You should see the look on your face! And the steams coming out of your ears!"

Guy has a warped sense of humor that's for sure. Always a party and a half whenever he's around.
Yup, you got it! He and Kelley bought 2 Z8s probably 2-3 years ago, can't remember exactly. Hers is in mint condition and gets shown and he drove his to the BMW CCA 50th Annual Oktoberfest in Greenville last October.

Everyone that has met Satch probably has some kind of story because he's just that kind of character! He actually wrote a column about me in the Roundel, after I bought my Z4 M Roadster in 2012 and then went out of my way to find all of the obscure accessories, like the European warning triangle and rubber hold-down straps that fit in the trunk, as well as the ///M floor and trunk mats. His column was about "that guy". He's owned his Roadster for years and didn't now about any of this stuff.

I last saw him and Kelly at the San Diego Chapter holiday party in January. They had a new-to-them car that he was showing off, a mid-60's Austin Mini Panel Van, kind of like the one below, from BaT. Like this one, it was highly modified, with an engine swap, lowered, fat wheels and tires, etc. He still wears striped pink shirts with (tan casual suits), and of course, a fedora-style hat.

I've never done an BMW CCA HPDE at Auto Club Speedway. When I joined, we were doing them at Chuckwalla Raceway, now at ButtonWillow Raceway, but I've also done them at Laguna Seca and Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV.

Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #20
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Yup, you got it! He and Kelley bought 2 Z8s probably 2-3 years ago, can't remember exactly. Hers is in mint condition and gets shown and he drove his to the BMW CCA 50th Annual Oktoberfest in Greenville last October.
His has over 100K miles on it. I think he bought it that way, which to me is really cool because Z8's all seem to languish in "collections" and never get driven. Hers is an investment, and I wish them luck with it. (Hint: don't look at Hagerty price guide for them.)

I conceived a child in a back of a Mini Countryman! Nice to see that Satch has one. I think I read a thing in Roundel about him using to cart bits back and forth among storage facilities.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      07-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
His has over 100K miles on it. I think he bought it that way, which to me is really cool because Z8's all seem to languish in "collections" and never get driven. Hers is an investment, and I wish them luck with it. (Hint: don't look at Hagerty price guide for them.)

I conceived a child in a back of a Mini Countryman! Nice to see that Satch has one. I think I read a thing in Roundel about him using to cart bits back and forth among storage facilities.
Dude... TMI

Just sayin'
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      07-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mmmmmmmm......
Can you say pHotOShoPpeD?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0