ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
mziggy16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '01 911 C4 Cabriolet

Question on Diff & MT Oil Change Plugs

Hey All -

I'm getting set to do several of the Inspection II fluid changes in a few weeks. I ordered just about everything, but want to double check on two items that haven't been super clear in my searches:

1. Diff Oil Plugs - Are these both the exact same, including the metal gasket?
Plug
Gasket

2. Manual Trans fluid - same question...just two of this plug?
Manual Trans Plug

Thanks!
      06-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Memory serves, yes. Although you don't need new diff plugs if you are going to get the metal gasket.

BUUUUUT. Again, if memory serves, the new diff plugs have rubber seals integrated into the plug. So you really shouldn't put the metal gasket on top of the rubber seal if you ask me.

I can probably confirm later if I can find my old plugs that I haven't discarded in the tool box.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziggy16 View Post
Hey All -

I'm getting set to do several of the Inspection II fluid changes in a few weeks. I ordered just about everything, but want to double check on two items that haven't been super clear in my searches:

1. Diff Oil Plugs - Are these both the exact same, including the metal gasket?
Plug
Gasket

2. Manual Trans fluid - same question...just two of this plug?
Manual Trans Plug

Thanks!
I'm going to be doing the same thing at the end of this month. From what I have dug up, the diff and tranny plugs need to be changed out. They have an integrated seal, so you should not need a gasket. Two each plugs, fill and drain. Pelican Parts has DIY guides on these for the Z4.

I'm considering getting magnetic drain plugs when I do my fluid change out.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Just looked at my ECS order the last time I did tranny and diff. Tranny plugs are the same, replace both. Diff plugs are both the same (but different than the tranny plugs), replace both.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Rombbb
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I just got them, and article numbers in original post are correspond.

Funny that price is higher form ECS than getting them from the BMW dealer (although I'm not in US but in Amsterdam).

Both have an integrated sealing washer.

I asked for the workplace manual and that states 65Nm / 48 ft-lbs for the diff plug with sealing washer.

Am currently trying to figure out the torque spec for the trans plug. Pelican DIY doesn't mention this and the tech book extract I got lists several torque specs for several gear boxes. I could eliminate 2 of them (7-speed and the K/I gearbox which supposedly has a steel bolt without washer). But that still leaves 4 options :
B / C gearbox : 50Nm
D / E gearbox : 52Nm (but I saw a pic somewhere showing a hex bolt instead of Allen bolt)
G / H gearbox: 35 Nm (this states "M18x1,5 Allen bolt" behind it so probably it's this one)
H / I gearbox : 25Nm (this one states M12x1,5 behind it so I doubt it's this one because don't think it's M12)

So it's either 50Nm or 35Nm if you ask me. It could be 35Nm because of the Allen bolt mentioning, but also 50Nm because that's closer to the 65Nm for the diff and the bolts look pretty similar (althought the trans is a nudge smaller).

Someone made a pretty comprehensive torque PDF for the E46. In that the D type gearbox is mentioned with 52 Nm, but the plugs are hex bolts in the PDF not Allen.

Edit: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...d_mount_parts/ mentions that the trans plug is M18x1,5 and it looks to be the Allen type plug in their picture so that would indicate 35Nm per above.

Last edited by Rombbb; 07-12-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

it is 35nm for transmission drain/fill plug. Make sure get a stubby allen socket for transmission fill plug. There is very little room to fit a socket for the fill plug.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E86 Z4 M Coupe Specs.pdf (56.4 KB, 396 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
it is 35nm for transmission drain/fill plug. Make sure get a stubby allen socket for transmission fill plug. There is very little room to fit a socket for the fill plug.
Nice guide. I assume that everything is the same for the E85 Z4 M Roadster.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Rombbb
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Thanks man ! You have no idea how much time you saved

I was already heavily inclined to go with 35nm, but was endlessly looking for confirmation and that's pretty hard. Nowhere a breakdown on the A B C D E F G H I gearboxes mentioned in the official workshop extract.
Many DYI tutorials, but mostly on (slightly) different boxes with hex bolts instead of Allen type.

While we're at it, diff is 60Nm / 44 ft-lbs right ? Just like with gearboxes this description is also overly confusing; 'with O-ring on the housing' 60Nm with sealing ring 65Nm.
I'm not sure for which my plug qualifies (it has like an O-ring embedded in the head) but at the former it states 'replace plug' and at the latter it states 'replace ring', and given that I can't easily remove the ring I take it mine is the first one, 'with O-ring in housing' so 60Nm. Small difference 60 vs 65Nm, just call me OCD

I must say, getting consistent technical info on the Z4M is quite hard. Nowhere an official full workplace manual or like a Haynes or something covering basic elements like torque settings.
One dude did a hell of a job compiling many torque settings into a PDF, but that's for the E46 so not always applicable.

Again thanks for your help

Edit:

Just saw your guide, so please disregard the above diff q. Super handy ! Your sheet states 62nm, almost in the middle of the values I was doubting between 60-65, good enough for me.

One thing that did pop up is that spark plugs are stated as 22 ft-lbs, while the NGK carton states 22Nm. Shouldn't we go with what's on the NGK box or can car manufacturer specs override those of the part manufacturers ?

Edit 2: for info, Z4 owner's manual prescribes some differing values compared to guide for trans and diff capacity; 1.8 and 1.1 liters respectively.

Last edited by Rombbb; 07-12-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Nice guide. I assume that everything is the same for the E85 Z4 M Roadster.
Same for both.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

+1 for the stubby hex socket for the tranny. A must have.

Tranny fluid swap on my first Miata years ago taught me a lifelong lesson: make sure you can fill before you drain. Early Miatas were known to have some sort of gorilla sealant on the fill plug and the plug was a strange square head. Had to flatbed it to the mechanic where excessive heat was needed to free up the fill plug.
Appreciate 0