ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 & E90 335i 6MT MSport

Smile Compass and Homelink Rear View Mirror Retrofit Guide

Hi,

I ended up retrofitting an E93 convertible mirror with Homelink, Compass, AutoDim, and Keyless entry working without any splicing or cutting any materials. This retrofit requires knowledge of what the rearview mirror on your Z4 has(auto-dim, you could check with a vin decoder I think). The e46, e85, and e93 to my knowledge all share the same mirror clip connection and mounting bracket( I reused the trim and it closed without any issues).

My Z4 came with auto-dimming so I pulled up the RealOem catalog to see which parts would potentially fit. So our E85 being a convertible the FZV (keyfob transmitter) sits inside the mirror.

This is very important because in coupes for e46 and e92/e90 the FZV module sits in the C pillar but convertibles have it inside the mirror. The part number for the mirror I got on eBay was 51169192321 which came off an e93 LCI 335i. In my Z4 the male and female mirror clip had all 10 pins wired up. So the mirror I got also had the female clip filled with wires from pins 1-10.

This is what I looked at on RealOem:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_5830

This will tell you which mirror had which options. My Z4 does not have a High-beam assistant (Idk if it was an option on our chassis). So I went with a mirror with EC/LED/GTO/Compass/RC which was 51169192321. You can find these on eBay but make sure you check with the seller to ensure that the part number is correct because sometimes the seller might put in the wrong part number or not show an image where you can see the part number (On the mount of the mirror backside). I paid around $74 shipped.

Now the hard part. If you plug in your e93 mirror directly the HomeLink, compass, and auto-dim will work but the keyless entry system will not work aka no keyfob access. You need to transfer the FZV module on your Z4 mirror to the e93 mirror.

To remove your mirror there are tons of guides out there since the Z4 mounting is shared with the e46 and e90/e91/e92/e93 series (might be more but that's all I know so far). Basically, you need to remove the mirror trim and then rotate the mirror 120 left or right (I chose right since it was easier) then pop the clip off. PLEASE DO THIS AFTER YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

There is a guide that helped me out:
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...entry.1301892/

After you transfer your FZV module into the e93 mirror plug the e93 mirror in and test all the functions (HomeLink, compass, auto-dim, and keyless). The mirror will power on in position 2 for the compass. You will need to recalibrate the compass and pair the Homelink (there are guides for that online also). The auto-dim should work.

To calibrate the compass you need an empty parking lot. There is a reset button underside which you need a pick. Hold for 7-9 seconds until C comes up. Then drive in circles then the compass should start changing directions. After that stop driving and hold the button again for 3-4 seconds until a number comes up. The number corresponds to the areas around the world. I'm in the tri-state area so I chose 11. Once you select the number leave it alone and drive and it will start the compass again.

Homelink can be paired to your garage. Hold the 1 and 3 buttons till it starts blinking. Take your garage door remote and hold it close to the mirror. Now you need to press the garage door remote button which opens the door and at the same time press the HomeLink button (I choose the first button so button 1). It should pair when the HomeLink starts flashing fast. If it does not you might have to get a HomeLink repeater and pair it that way (there are guides on YouTube for that).

This is the finished result. Of course, I'm in the garage. Heehee. I need to get a HomeLink repeater though since the HomeLink version in my mirror cannot communicate with my LiftMaster which uses security 2.0 I believe.

Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  171.4 KB

Notes:

This is a clean way of adding Homelink on a budget and being reversible. I know there might be a cheaper way but it's not reversible I saw. Please be careful when opening the mirrors. Use a plastic pry tool and NOT a metal one. You could scratch or damage the openings. Be careful when transferring the FZV transmitter. The wire clips in the e93 all detach but the only wire in the Z4 mirror which detaches is the FZV clip. Torx 10 bit can be used for the E93 mirror screws FYI. Make sure when you reattach the face of the mirror to the body to be careful with closing it. Close it gently until it clicks.
Appreciate 2
wdb4695.50
AK72286.00
      09-30-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
sna77
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I'm going to do this same retrofit in an e46 convertible (same thing, needs the door lock mirror module moved over). My donor mirror came from a 2013 X1--which was the latest model year mirror I could find that fit the Z/e46 chasis. The hope was the newer mirror's garage door opener will work with my new garage door opener.

Would you mind showing how you:

1. opened the mirror housing
2. moved the module over.

Or link a reference to do so...

Thanks!
Steve
2011 E70 X5 SAV
2004 E46 ZHP
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Thanks for doing the great writeup! I'd be tempted except for the fact that the HomeLink mirror in my E93 constantly loses synch with my garage door opening system. HomeLink tech is old enough that it requires an adapter receiver inside the garage, and that loses its brain every time the power blinks off. Plus the programming process itself is fussy. I finally gave up and clipped a battery powered opener on the visor.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #4
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I did not have to change the FZV module when i installed a e46 'vert mirror i bought off ebay.(i just wanted a bigger mirror)
God knows why my key fob worked, however i've never been able to use the homelink function.
Attached Images

10-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I wanted bigger mirrors too.. lol that looks good