ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Hellooo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Exclamation Used Z4 Coupe - Suspected Crash Damage

Hi,

I’ve recently been to view a 20007 Z4 coupe. I like the spec of the car, but I’m suspicious about a few things. As owners, I was hoping you could tell me whether this looks ‘wrong’ or common.

Specifically, the paint around the LH front suspension top mount looks very different (and not OE). This is coupled with some damage to the inner arch on the same corner. There is also a cooling warning light on the dash which the owner states is just the level sender.

There are also other misc issues such as scratched side windows, kerbed wheels etc.

View post on imgur.com

[I tried attaching and uploading images to no avail ]

Would this put you off a car? Would you still consider it at a reduced price?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I think thats how mine looks, non crashed of course... but looks like he didn't take care of the car... i would skip..
      06-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Looks like a previous owner ran wider or taller than stock tires up front. I run 275/35/18s up front and my fender liner looks 10X worse than that.

The shock towers don't look like they've been replaced? Usually you'll see weld marks rather than the adhesives, because they'll need to be cut and re-welded if there's damage in that section. It does look like the front bumper and the bumper support has been off the car, since the two bolts on either end of the support looks like they've been removed and reinstalled (two looks new). However that is not normally indicative of crash damage, as SOME repairs to engine may require the removal of the front bumper/radiator support. For example, if the main pulley and the harmonic dampener needs to be replaced, the shop need to remove that entire front structure to attach a hammer pull to get it off the engine.

I can't tell conclusively from the pictures. I'm inclined to think that it's normal based on what I see. The coolant low light is more of a concern as it is a cheap, and easy to replace part...If the current owner didn't bother to have it swapped out by a mechanic, it really goes to show how much he "cared" for the car.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0304

It's a $20 part.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

The pics make it hard to tell but it certainly looks like over-spray on the radiator support bolts, and did the owner mention the missing secondary air pump?

Sketchy car seems sketchy, plenty of well cared for clean examples out there if you're willing to wait, I'd walk.
Appreciate 0