ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Engine bay black

My car is Sapphire Black but the engine bay paint is lighter in shade and looks like a single stage satin.
You can see the shock tower the paint is a lighter black than what is on the strut bar.
I haven't been able to find a specific colour code for the engine bay so was wondering if anyone could help?
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

04-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
My car is Sapphire Black but the engine bay paint is lighter in shade and looks like a single stage satin.
You can see the shock tower the paint is a lighter black than what is on the strut bar.
I haven't been able to find a specific colour code for the engine bay so was wondering if anyone could help?
Thanks,
Chris
I think that’s the full body dip you can see in the making of video that National Geographic put out I know it’s in a thread somewhere but it’s gotta be majorly buried but might come up in a search about Z4 factory tour. I’m not sure if you’re going to be able to find the paint code for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I thought the engine bay was the same color as the exterior body, just without the clearcoat
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Thanks,
Chris
If there is a piece in the engine bay that is removable you could take it to a paint store and they could do a scan match.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
grannyknot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I thought the engine bay was the same color as the exterior body, just without the clearcoat
Sometimes, but that doesn't work with metallics.
I found this but haven't been able to find a colour that has the code of#10000 which is supposed to be the corresponding colour for Sapphire Black #475/9
Attached Images

04-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #6
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
This was a common thing for 2000s BMWs. Only certain colors got full paint in the engine bay. On the Z4s red, burgundy and white got full coverage while silver, gray, black and blue didn't. What you're seeing in the engine bay is mostly the corrosion protection the whole body is dipped in before paint plus some mild overspray from the exterior paint.

If you want to create a uniform look, I would either get Black Sapphire Metallic to match the exterior, get a basic gloss black matched to the strut bars or get a basic satin black matched to the strut towers.
      04-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
This was a common thing for 2000s BMWs. Only certain colors got full paint in the engine bay. On the Z4s red, burgundy and white got full coverage while silver, gray, black and blue didn't. What you're seeing in the engine bay is mostly the corrosion protection the whole body is dipped in before paint plus some mild overspray from the exterior paint.

If you want to create a uniform look, I would either get Black Sapphire Metallic to match the exterior, get a basic gloss black matched to the strut bars or get a basic satin black matched to the strut towers.
Interesting, never knew that.
      04-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
grannyknot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
So I guess I have to find a paint shop that can read the colour of the engine bay and try and make a match.
Okay, thanks guys.
      06-02-2022, 08:41 PM   #9
driveslikeagirl
Rep
Drives: '06 Sepang Bronze M Coupe

Running into this problem myself. My car is Sepang Bronze Metallic, but the strut towers look more satin charcoal grey than black. I've got a hairline crack that will be welded, so we're grinding some paint off. I may just look for something close enough and hope the strut tower bar covers the small repair.

Has anyone found a commercially available paint that matches well enough?
      06-03-2022, 12:24 AM   #10
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I used this for my strut support bars,worked pretty well
Attached Images