ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

yellow brake and dsc warning lights on.

So after i got my winter tires mounted, or sometime around then, I had two indicator lights appear: "BRAKE" in yellow and the dsc light staying on. i looked in the manual, and apparently when those two are on together, it indicates a dsc malfunction.

i am under warranty and have an appt. next week, but i was curious if anyone had a better idea what the actual problem may be or how to ressolve it?

Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
So after i got my winter tires mounted, or sometime around then, I had two indicator lights appear: "BRAKE" in yellow and the dsc light staying on. i looked in the manual, and apparently when those two are on together, it indicates a dsc malfunction.

i am under warranty and have an appt. next week, but i was curious if anyone had a better idea what the actual problem may be or how to ressolve it?

Thanks,
Dave
That indicates that the traction control system is no longer able to function, due to a hardware failure, or an inability to find the normal state of operation through it's sensors.

In short, either one of the wheel speed sensors has gone bad, or your new tires threw the car so far out of alignment, the difference between the wheel speeds is causing the computer to give up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
That indicates that the traction control system is no longer able to function, due to a hardware failure, or an inability to find the normal state of operation through it's sensors.

In short, either one of the wheel speed sensors has gone bad, or your new tires threw the car so far out of alignment, the difference between the wheel speeds is causing the computer to give up.
very interesting, thanks for the response. i just put some 235/40R18 blizzaks on my stock M wheels, so i dont think i could have messed up the alignment with those too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Did you have your tires mounted and balanced at a BMW dealership?

If I had to guess, whoever did it knocked one of the sensors loose. Be prepared to eat the cost even though the car is under warranty.

Edit: This also happened to one of my friends with his Acura. I don't remember if he was getting new tires or brakes, but in the end his traction control wasn't working properly. He brought the car back and they plugged in or fixed the sensor, and everything worked again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Did you have your tires mounted and balanced at a BMW dealership?

If I had to guess, whoever did it knocked one of the sensors loose. Be prepared to eat the cost even though the car is under warranty.

Edit: This also happened to one of my friends with his Acura. I don't remember if he was getting new tires or brakes, but in the end his traction control wasn't working properly. He brought the car back and they plugged in or fixed the sensor, and everything worked again.
I got it done at an independent shop. thanks, i will text this info over to the tech
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

What was the fault after fella? My Z4 had developed the same fault. Could it be a faulty wheel sensor? I have just replaced a sensor on the rear left hand side so i am wondering if the rear right hand side has decided to play up?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy_1978 View Post
What was the fault after fella? My Z4 had developed the same fault. Could it be a faulty wheel sensor? I have just replaced a sensor on the rear left hand side so i am wondering if the rear right hand side has decided to play up?
yes sir, it was the wheel sensor. mine was just disconnected, guess it got knocked loose during the process. i guess it is possible that your other sensor may be bad now as well. keep me posted when you figure it out. good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I have replaced the other ABS sensor just in case the sensor has gone bad and still no luck. All be this wheel sensor is a OEM part made in Germany, but I can not imagine this would still cause conflict. In short my rear wheel sensors have no been changed, 1 is a BMW part £106 and the other a non BMW part made in Germany for £55!

Any ideas? I local mechanic has told me that the ABS DSC module would need replacing but this problem has been intermittent and at some point over a few days the lights disappear, but return after a few minutes?? I have heard so many possible problems, faulty steering sensor, faulty ABS DSC module or even a 4 wheel re alignment?

I have been contemplating a BMW main dealer diagnostic check, and hopefully ask them for a print out of the error codes. Looks like that is the only way I can be sure?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I have had the car booked into BMW and they have diagnosed 2 faulty pressure sensors. They have also found a broken rear spring. Since then I have had the spring replaced and only just come back form Holiday to notice that the lights have not come back on? I have now driven the car on 2 short journeys, 10 minutes and so far touch wood no reoccurrence!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I've noticed that the yellow brake light comes on at the track under heavy braking. The following code is logged:

5E30:
Wheel speed sensor rear left: Line defect or short

We replaced the left rear sensor but the error returned at the last track day so we will have to keep looking...
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
robert16
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 SI 36,000

So I’m having the same issue

Dsc steering angle sensor

The yellow triangle with circle around it
And the yellow word brake

My scanner says

Dsc steering angle sensor

5E40 what does this mean, which wheel is it ?
Thanks
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
robert16
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 SI 36,000

By code,reader cleared the codes
Appreciate 0