ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2018, 01:49 AM   #1
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

MSS Flasher cannot read ECU

Hi Guys,

I wanted to find out if anyone else on here had issues trying to read the ECU on their Z4M Coupe.

I tried to access my ECU last night so that i can code M Track mode using my brothers Laptop and INPA Cable which we know successfully works on his 2002 E46 M3 as we have coded CSL SMG software and some other features on the M3 but on my MCoupe, I get the following error when trying to read the ECU: "Trouble IDing the ECU" and it just stays there...

If anyone has experienced this before or have any pointers/tips/advice that i can try, please let me know...

I've also attached a pic of the Error (got it off the net as i didn't take a screen shot when i was trying)
Attached Images

05-02-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Not to worry, Managed to get it to work using NCS...

M TRACK Mode enabled
      05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Did you attach the track mode to a button or is it permanently enabled?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
Did you attach the track mode to a button or is it permanently enabled?
on my M, the traction control button either switches on or off...

Now with MTrack mode, it makes the Traction control button 2 stage... Meaning on stage one Mtrack mode is enabled and it displays DTC and then 2nd stage is full traction off with the Triangle warning sign...
      05-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

sweet as

have you also tried to disable the DBC?
(dynamic brake control) (pre charges the brake when you push it really hard and fast)

The function you need to set to not active is BB_RAB found in the MK60 ecu. (not my findings, but Tom K's from over the pond)

Havent done it yet, but looking at doing both of these, although ive been fine with Traction OFF as it doesn't rain here. Track mode with rain looks like an awesome add-on.
      05-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
sweet as

have you also tried to disable the DBC?
(dynamic brake control) (pre charges the brake when you push it really hard and fast)

The function you need to set to not active is BB_RAB found in the MK60 ecu. (not my findings, but Tom K's from over the pond)

Havent done it yet, but looking at doing both of these, although ive been fine with Traction OFF as it doesn't rain here. Track mode with rain looks like an awesome add-on.
Hey Vanne,

No sir not yet... but it made alot of sense when i was on the Kart track, because the entire thing is 1.22km's long, you on the brakes HARD every few seconds... thats where i noticed the DBC becoming intrusive. thanks for the details, i'll look into getting it done..

I've also been ok with traction fully off, just have to be quick to catch it gets the blood pumping

But I gave M-Track a bash because it cost me nothing and the car was already charging at the time... its a nice to have Mtrack if you want to mess around in the wet or even on a dry track as some have said in online reviews that its handy when the rear steps out and the revs fly into limiter because thats when the car actually starts loosing forward momentum due to the wheels are just spinning, Now DTC(Mtrack) will not kill the power and slow you down like normal traction control will, it will allow you to hold the revs and be quick about it before stepping in (I've experienced this too) .. so it seemed like a bonus, I'll try it out properly next month at gymkhana against full traction off and see whats what... rainy season is over for us now.. winter is coming
      06-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Unfortunately as you've found out both mss flasher and martyn's superb ecuworx tool mss5x binary mod will not work with our ecu (mss60) as they are for programming the e46m3 ecu (mss52,54,54hp).
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/
I spoke with martyn a couple of years back as to whether he could do this for our ecus and he said yes but not yet.
It has some great features like being able to draw in your own throttle sensitivity curve, something which I myself would love.
Thanks to your post I have just looked at his site again it seems he has now done this for e9x m3 which has a very similar ecu. I will get in contact with him and report back
As an aside be aware that our 'm-track' mode uses the rear brakes heavily (I'm not sure of it does on the e46 version or not), I almost killed a new set of rears at a very wet day at Spa a few weeks ago.
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 2
ZAR4MC93.00
Vanne1593.00
      06-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTK View Post
Unfortunately as you've found out both mss flasher and martyn's superb ecuworx tool mss5x binary mod will not work with our ecu (mss60) as they are for programming the e46m3 ecu (mss52,54,54hp).
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/
I spoke with martyn a couple of years back as to whether he could do this for our ecus and he said yes but not yet.
It has some great features like being able to draw in your own throttle sensitivity curve, something which I myself would love.
Thanks to your post I have just looked at his site again it seems he has now done this for e9x m3 which has a very similar ecu. I will get in contact with him and report back
As an aside be aware that our 'm-track' mode uses the rear brakes heavily (I'm not sure of it does on the e46 version or not), I almost killed a new set of rears at a very wet day at Spa a few weeks ago.
Hey Bud, Please check with Martin and report back if possible. it would be awesome if we could get something like ECU works since there's not many options out there for us ...

Thanks for the heads up regarding Mtrack and the rear brakes, it'll be on my radar..
      06-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cool, well I've spoken with him and news seems positive, ish. First it was my bad and we actually use MSS70 (so M5/6 V10 era) ecu, not the MSS60, it's been a while since I've been through this! Good news is someone has sent him a spare one and he has been tinkering.
He's asked me for what features I would like, for me it's drawing the throttle curve, and I would also like to limit revs in all gears to 3k (valet mode type thing, as occasionally I need people to move the car), it's possible to set an individual rev limit for each gear if you like.
Anyway, take a look at what can be done on their website and let me know what is of use to you and I will include it on the feature requests.
Hopefully we can get some traction on this
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Cool, well I've spoken with him and news seems positive, ish. First it was my bad and we actually use MSS70 (so M5/6 V10 era) ecu, not the MSS60, it's been a while since I've been through this! Good news is someone has sent him a spare one and he has been tinkering.
He's asked me for what features I would like, for me it's drawing the throttle curve, and I would also like to limit revs in all gears to 3k (valet mode type thing, as occasionally I need people to move the car), it's possible to set an individual rev limit for each gear if you like.
Anyway, take a look at what can be done on their website and let me know what is of use to you and I will include it on the feature requests.
Hopefully we can get some traction on this
Wow that is Brilliant, I really appreciate it, Thanks Mr...

Setting the throttle curve is a great feature, can allows us to also smooth out Sport memory as my accelerator pedal is like an ON/OFF switch when sport is on...

I'm keen on these ECUworx Features as i want to remove the catalytic converters and the secondary air pump:
- Disable secondary air pump
- Disable fault code / check engine light for physical removal of the secondary air pump
- Disable fault codes / check engine light for cat deletes
- Disable CAT Protection (Disables Enrichment)
- Shift Lights
- Enable Alpha N (for later on )
- Final Drive ratio adjustments (for those who change diff ratios )

Last edited by ZAR4MC; 06-06-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fine, yep I'm looking to do the sap delete also so I will test that when he sends me his spare kess v2 to try I would imagine the cat delete option shouldn't be an issue either.
Agree, the sport throttle map is a joke so I want to look into altering both. The standard mode I find ok, I would just like it a little more linear than it is now.
I'll let you know how I go, hopefully we can get a tool done soon.
Appreciate 2
ZAR4MC93.00
Vanne1593.00
      06-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I'll let you know how I go, hopefully we can get a tool done soon.
Thank you kind sir...

All the best, let us know how it goes with the SAP.
      02-09-2021, 03:39 AM   #13
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

MOTKits been ages buddy, so i wanted to know if you were able to disable SAP and the CAT enrichment process on Your Z4m? or made any progress with ECUWORX?

I have purchased a Turner CSL airbox, So now busy looking for a Aplha N tuner that can assist with SAP delete and disable Enrichment process as well. Evolve say they dont do it so i'm currently chatting to Josh at SevernTuning to see if he can assist.
Vanne1593.00
Steeler2422.00
      02-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #14
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Josh says its Possible so i am most likely going the Severn Tuning Route when the airbox arrives.
Steeler2422.00
      02-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #15
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAR4MC View Post
Josh says its Possible so i am most likely going the Severn Tuning Route when the airbox arrives.
Wise decision.
Won't be disappointed.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0