ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #45
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
-c-, another question for you. As an alternative, do you think it would be possible to mount a conventional battery sideways in the box (more towards the center-similar to picture), narrow the battery box, and go with a muffler which was smaller then the oe design? Maybe a 6-7" dia cylindrical without moving the charcoal cannister? Would it be possible to relocate the cannister to the center and leave the battery box in the floor if you were creative with the hose routing?
regurdless of what is done the canister has to be moved as its right in the way of things the battery may work sideways but its going to be tight. its possable to splice the tubing for the fuel canister and mount it wherever, as i had to do that with my scavange line as the "M" and "I" have different engines i had to use only the rear part of the line, so i cut both peices and then re-attatched the line so anything is possable in that reguard.

if you want dual exhaust your going to have to move that emission canister to the center of the car and then re-rout the lines where you can, if its tru as was stated ealier and the canister can be removed and just cap the lines with no ill effects then id go that route as it saves major headache.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #46
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
regurdless of what is done the canister has to be moved as its right in the way of things the battery may work sideways but its going to be tight. its possable to splice the tubing for the fuel canister and mount it wherever, as i had to do that with my scavange line as the "M" and "I" have different engines i had to use only the rear part of the line, so i cut both peices and then re-attatched the line so anything is possable in that reguard.

if you want dual exhaust your going to have to move that emission canister to the center of the car and then re-rout the lines where you can, if its tru as was stated ealier and the canister can be removed and just cap the lines with no ill effects then id go that route as it saves major headache.
Thanks
      03-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #47
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

images up of the car finnaly outside of the garage!!!

will be posting images soon of sound clips of M-exhaust on non M car ....... tee hee!~
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #48
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Done Done and Done!!!!

car now 100% operational and drives wonderfully, i cant even start to explain how happy i am. the sound is perfect no drone no ill effects just perfect quiet untill i dont want it to be, also noticed it lacks the metalic sound of the S54 M engine, the sound is more lower pitch!

all around A+ upgrade~~

i will now be taking sound clips and video, how do you post a video on the forum?

thanks guys~
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #49
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Done Done and Done!!!!

car now 100% operational and drives wonderfully, i cant even start to explain how happy i am. the sound is perfect no drone no ill effects just perfect quiet untill i dont want it to be, also noticed it lacks the metalic sound of the S54 M engine, the sound is more lower pitch!

all around A+ upgrade~~

i will now be taking sound clips and video, how do you post a video on the forum?

thanks guys~
best bet is to probably use a site like photobucket...
      04-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #50
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Can't wait to hear the sound clips and for you to get it tuned with the 3 stage.. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised at your numbers!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #51
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Good job. Looks nice and clean!
      04-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #52
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
Good job. Looks nice and clean!

thanks guys!

sorry i havent posted anything as of yet, still waiting on my bumper from the body shop as its had to be painted 3 times already as they keep goofing it up, and their the best in town! sheees!

anywho i will post all the goods when i get it finally taken care of and all things done, last stuff to do is get the brake convertion done and the 19" wheels and i should be almost their.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #53
pantydropper
Registered
Rep
Drives: Scion

nicely done
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

you can also upload to youtube very easily
      04-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #55
bemel2
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Smile Charcoal canister relocate

Quote:
ok its all done just need to paint the rear bumper now.

if anybody wishes to see more pics please let me know i have hundreds lol.

i can email them if needbe.

thanks to everyone for your help in making this possable without your valuable pictures this would have been wayyyyy harder than it was.

a VERY big speacial thanks to crfine88 and nofear for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!

Hi. I'm doing the dual exhaust & have already relocated my battery to the trunk but I still need to relocate the canister towards the middle of the rear portion of the car behind the differential. What did you do to yours? Did you relocate it also behind the diff? If so, I would appreciate if you could share the parts that I need like hoses, etc. & it's sources. Pictures would also help. PM me at melnavato42@gmail.com Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #56
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemel2 View Post
Quote:

thanks to everyone for your help in making this possable without your valuable pictures this would have been wayyyyy harder than it was.

a VERY big speacial thanks to crfine88 and nofear for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!

Hi. I'm doing the dual exhaust & have already relocated my battery to the trunk but I still need to relocate the canister towards the middle of the rear portion of the car behind the differential. What did you do to yours? Did you relocate it also behind the diff? If so, I would appreciate if you could share the parts that I need like hoses, etc. & it's sources. Pictures would also help. PM me at melnavato42@gmail.com Thanks.
You need all the M hoses and you need to locate it to the M location in the middle of the trunk. Theirs a frame piece in the way so just need to run it where the hoses tell you. Just look at any M and you'll get the idea. I'll try and find some pics. It's been almost 9'years lol.

Just realized all the pics don't work any more. I'll have to redo everything
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #57
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

a VERY big speacial thanks to [SIZE="4"]crfine88[/SIZE] and [SIZE="4"]nofear[/SIZE] for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!

You need all the M hoses and you need to locate it to the M location in the middle of the trunk. Theirs a frame piece in the way so just need to run it where the hoses tell you. Just look at any M and you'll get the idea. I'll try and find some pics. It's been almost 9'years lol.

Glad to see you're still around! Much respect for paving the way!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #58
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

a VERY big speacial thanks to [SIZE="4"]crfine88[/SIZE] and [SIZE="4"]nofear[/SIZE] for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!

Glad to see you're still around! Much respect for paving the way!
Always ! I ain't going nowhere

Just need to find time to data mine all the old pics and repost.

I'll do it as soon as I have some time.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #59
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
So after seeing some of the dual exhaust setups available as bolt on, and working with my local exhaust shop, I tried something a little different. I didn't relocate anything and instead got some heat shielding from the junk yard and formed it to fit into the channel where the second exhaust is routed. I've had it in place for a year with zero problems. Even after long drives in 90 degree heat I haven't had any issues.

PS pics are prior to heat shielding installation
Attached Images