ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Can't think of a time when I wanted to sell my Mcoupe. I mean seriously what else looks this good?
Attached Images

WickedNy225.00
gds52886.00
Mirko182.00
      01-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
+1

I bought my first one in August 2007. A year and half later, at the outset of the great recession, I found myself jobless with an $812 car payment. So I put her up for sale. Lots of alleged interest, no takers. Then I realized I didn't want to part with it, and paid it off. That's one way to eliminate a nasty car payment! Kept it till 2015, when in a moment of weakness, I let it go in favor of a super-clean E39 M5, something I'd wanted for ages. I never could fall completely in love with the M5, and missed my Z4MC almost immediately.

Fast forward to last November, and I decided it was time to rectify the situation. Found the perfect car and pulled the trigger. Not making that mistake again!

Kids, think LONG and HARD before deciding to sell. These cars are rare and nothing like them is EVER coming back. They are the last of the "analog experience" M cars. The last of the naturally-aspirated M cars. The last cars without iDrive or a buttload of fancy (and unreliable) electronic driving "aids". Hang on tight!
gds52886.00
Finnegan701.00
      01-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I miss mine often, but feel the same way about my 993. Great cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
+1

I bought my first one in August 2007. A year and half later, at the outset of the great recession, I found myself jobless with an $812 car payment. So I put her up for sale. Lots of alleged interest, no takers. Then I realized I didn't want to part with it, and paid it off. That's one way to eliminate a nasty car payment! Kept it till 2015, when in a moment of weakness, I let it go in favor of a super-clean E39 M5, something I'd wanted for ages. I never could fall completely in love with the M5, and missed my Z4MC almost immediately.

Fast forward to last November, and I decided it was time to rectify the situation. Found the perfect car and pulled the trigger. Not making that mistake again!

Kids, think LONG and HARD before deciding to sell. These cars are rare and nothing like them is EVER coming back. They are the last of the "analog experience" M cars. The last of the naturally-aspirated M cars. The last cars without iDrive or a buttload of fancy (and unreliable) electronic driving "aids". Hang on tight!
Quote:
+1

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...JDm8hVR-XL.jpg[/img]

Couldn't agree more! 😎
      01-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
+1

What didn't you like about the E39? I've driven them multiple times, and while I think they are the perfect all in one daily drivers, I don't see myself paying the prices that some of them are going for now.

On another note, I adore my Z4M Roadster, but I need to sink a bunch of money into maintenance and repairs.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What didn't you like about the E39? I've driven them multiple times, and while I think they are the perfect all in one daily drivers, I don't see myself paying the prices that some of them are going for now.
The numb recirculating-ball steering was a big turn-off, and while they handle quite well for a huge 2-ton-plus barge, it's still not stellar overall. Also the lack of factory Bluetooth and the absolute awfulness of the M-audio "upgraded" OEM infotainment was driving me crazy. I was not interested in replacing any of it with modern gear (cost, lack of originality, hurting resale value, etc) so I fixed what I could - Mk4 nav brain upgrade, Intravee, Moto Bluetooth dongle on the sun visor - but at the end of the day, the nav was still unusable, M-audio sounded awful, and my Bluetooth solution sucked. Also despite buying a super-clean turnkey example, it was still a money pit in the year that I owned it. I also had a ZHP coupe at the time and found myself preferring to drive it - that was the clear signal that it wasn't something I wanted to hang onto. So I sold it and bought a new Golf R, which scratched all my itches along with providing far greater fuel economy and practicality. 2 years later I sold the ZHP, and a few months after that, decided that I needed another Z4MC to go with the Golf, and now my life is complete again.
      02-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The numb recirculating-ball steering was a big turn-off, and while they handle quite well for a huge 2-ton-plus barge, it's still not stellar overall. Also the lack of factory Bluetooth and the absolute awfulness of the M-audio "upgraded" OEM infotainment was driving me crazy. I was not interested in replacing any of it with modern gear (cost, lack of originality, hurting resale value, etc) so I fixed what I could - Mk4 nav brain upgrade, Intravee, Moto Bluetooth dongle on the sun visor - but at the end of the day, the nav was still unusable, M-audio sounded awful, and my Bluetooth solution sucked. Also despite buying a super-clean turnkey example, it was still a money pit in the year that I owned it. I also had a ZHP coupe at the time and found myself preferring to drive it - that was the clear signal that it wasn't something I wanted to hang onto. So I sold it and bought a new Golf R, which scratched all my itches along with providing far greater fuel economy and practicality. 2 years later I sold the ZHP, and a few months after that, decided that I needed another Z4MC to go with the Golf, and now my life is complete again.
Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. I've always had a soft spot for an Imola Red E39 M5, with the two tone red interior. But I could never justify getting one. If I wanted an M sedan, it would have been the E90 M3 or E60 M5 personally. The S62 is a good engine, but I never thought it was as special as the S65 or S85, or even the S54.

What kind of maintenance went wrong with it, and what was your mileage? My friend bought one that was not in great shape and I remember I was always helping him with the small stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Recently, I drove following cars...
E36 M3 3.2
F90 540i (new 5)
X3 M40i
M2 Competition 6MT

I know all are different cars but I did not miss any of them after I got out.

Z4M steering feel is the best. The chassis stiffness and overall fun, no car (I've driven) can beat it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What kind of maintenance went wrong with it, and what was your mileage? My friend bought one that was not in great shape and I remember I was always helping him with the small stuff.
I bought it with 59k on it. The headlight adjusters were busted (they ALL break on E39's with xenons - 100% of them) and the later lights can't be "baked" open to replace them. So I wound up buying new OEM replacements from Schmiedmann. The stock dampers were tired so I put Bilstein B8's on it. Maintenance-wise it was up to snuff otherwise. I also threw some money at the lousy infotainment (Intravee & Alpine iPod adapter).

Don't get me wrong, there were many things I loved about it. Still best-looking sedan on the road IMHO. Comfortable high-speed cruiser. Fast. Sounded great. Just didn't turn my crank like the E86 did.
W///7468.50
      02-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

I actually floated the idea of selling and replacing with an RCF - it was more about differing priorities with my cars than which car is 'better,' though.

To me, when it comes to a proper/true sports car, E85/86 is one of the best platforms available, with classic proportions. Front engine, RWD, 6 speed only, adequate power, seating is behind a long hood, almost over the rear wheels, all with great handling dynamics. The spiritual sister (with arguably better handling, according to many), would be none other than the Honda S2000!

I also love the idea of an M2/M2C to replace the Z but I fear I'd miss the small/compact feel of the Z4 that adds to the overall driving experience.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Can't think of a time when I wanted to sell my Mcoupe. I mean seriously what else looks this good?
I almost did. A guy walked in the place I work and saw the vehicle on the floor. Ended up wanting to buy it. We agreed on the price and history of the vehicle.

I changed my mind and explained my decision. I don't regret it and I don't plan to change it with another. I just don't see the point and a vehicle I like, I am inspired by.

I mean I would like to own a 911 but it's a bit of a snobbish brand.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPower View Post
I mean I would like to own a 911 but it's a bit of a snobbish brand.
Some would say the same to BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Some would say the same to BMWs
You think so?

I suppose if you compare it to Japanese tuning vehicles.

I wish BMW makes one sports vehicle that teaches Porsche a bit of humility. Just one.

Don't want to thread jack.

Love the Z and in fact I think I will get the clown shoe at one point. It's a matter of time.

G
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
I actually floated the idea of selling and replacing with an RCF - it was more about differing priorities with my cars than which car is 'better,' though.

To me, when it comes to a proper/true sports car, E85/86 is one of the best platforms available, with classic proportions. Front engine, RWD, 6 speed only, adequate power, seating is behind a long hood, almost over the rear wheels, all with great handling dynamics. The spiritual sister (with arguably better handling, according to many), would be none other than the Honda S2000!

I also love the idea of an M2/M2C to replace the Z but I fear I'd miss the small/compact feel of the Z4 that adds to the overall driving experience.
As much as I love the M2C, it wouldn't come close to being able to replicate the Z4M's. I personally think they're hands down the best M car available at the moment by a long shot, and would be a good replacement for say an E46 M3. It's a fun car, right size, right price compared to competition and looks great, but it's no Z4M. If it's the one new car I could have in my garage, it would be the one. However, the only replacement I see for my Roadster would be something liek a Porsche GT4, which gets destroyed the value department compared to our cars.

I wouldn't even consider the old M2. Nice chassis, but while the N55T sounds good, it's a let down at the top end. I left my day long test drive pretty disappointed.

If you want a comfy DD, I'd highly recommend the E9x M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #15
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M black saphire / imola

Quote:
+1

Best statement of the year... +2
Appreciate 0