ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #23
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
I admittedly don't know a lot about suspension but I'm looking for something better than stock but still not too harsh, is that possible?
What do you guys think about the H&R setup that Turnermotorsport sells?
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...er-suspension/
H&R are valved very aggressively, plus the rates are also hi, they are very harsh out of the box. What makes them harsh is the gas pressure which is too high 40-60 pounds. So you need more than that to initiate damper travel and that is what translate to jittery motions.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #24
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
H&R are valved very aggressively, plus the rates are also hi, they are very harsh out of the box. What makes them harsh is the gas pressure which is too high 40-60 pounds. So you need more than that to initiate damper travel and that is what translate to jittery motions.
Thanks, I talked to Turner and they said the progressive springs on the H&R kit are 20% firmer than stock.
Is there a way to adjust or modify the pressure in the shocks for a more compliant ride or can you recommend a different shock that would do the job?
      12-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #25
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Thanks, I talked to Turner and they said the progressive springs on the H&R kit are 20% firmer than stock.
Is there a way to adjust or modify the pressure in the shocks for a more compliant ride or can you recommend a different shock that would do the job?
There is a guy in Cali who does it but charges and arm and leg, I do not know TBH if other shops would do it. Is not rocket science but you need someone whi has a shock dyno and the spares to seal them up.

Btw, they quoted me 3k
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #26
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Tckline or ground control use Koni yellows which should be less harsh, if you can figure out how to use stock shock mounts I'd imagine that's the best you could do without going to a custom job
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #27
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
I believe a lot of the NVH in the front comes from the much stiffer FCAB and strut mounts. The Z4M FCAB is solid rubber vs the very soft oil filled standard bushing.

If you notice the KW V3 uses an E39 strut mount which has the entire spring and strut supported in a rubber bushing, like most other BMW models.

The Z4M and other M cars use a different strut mount style which hard mounts the spring to the chassis on a wide bearing and has minimal rubber in the centre for the shock. This is obviously more durable for heavy track loads but not as comfortable as the standard BMW strut mount style.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
Tckline or ground control use Koni yellows which should be less harsh, if you can figure out how to use stock shock mounts I'd imagine that's the best you could do without going to a custom job
I’ll just add TCK and GC’s kits are both “custom valved” so slightly different from regular Koni Yellows. And in general, my experience has been Koni tend to be more comfortable (both Sport and FSD) while Bilstein (B6/8) were the worst for everyday driving, just really not practical for tri-state roads. And re H&R kits, anyone I know that’s used it never gave it glowing reviews in either the performance or ride quality categories. Progressive springs with no adjustability… it’s basically a cheap solution to get the exact preferred ride height.

It’s too bad Dinan never offered springs. I ran Dinan springs on my 135is with BMW Performance shocks and that was hands down the best street performance setup I owned.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-14-2021 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 1