ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2023, 06:59 AM   #23
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I'm the biggest fan of the principle of ceramic coating - it's fun for the less informed to call it a "scam", but part of the reason they come to that conclusion is the ridiculous claims that professional detailing shops like to make in order to lure you in. There's something about the detailing industry that just loves the outlandish claims and gimmicks....it's like one step below "ShamWOW" as seen on TV stuff.

Regardless, I would never pay a shop thousands to apply a ceramic coating. Take the time to learn how to DIY (it is not hard, at all), or if that's out of the question, just stick to sealants/waxes. Consumer grade coatings have gotten so good that there's no reason to have a backup warranty when your initial investment in a DIY job will be a few hundred dollars max.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7188.50
      06-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think ceramic can do a better job than wax at filling in small imperfections, last a little longer than wax while also provide a slightly slicker surface to prevent hurting the paint. However, I still prefer the glow or warmth you get from carnuba wax. Ceramic isn’t bad and does allow depth and clarity but the thing to remember when you see all these ceramic coating photos is 90+% of the time the paint has been corrected first. So I’d argue you’ll get nearly the same result if you follow a similar process for wax.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7188.50
      06-03-2023, 01:40 PM   #25
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think ceramic can do a better job than wax at filling in small imperfections, last a little longer than wax while also provide a slightly slicker surface to prevent hurting the paint. However, I still prefer the glow or warmth you get from carnuba wax. Ceramic isn’t bad and does allow depth and clarity but the thing to remember when you see all these ceramic coating photos is 90+% of the time the paint has been corrected first. So I’d argue you’ll get nearly the same result if you follow a similar process for wax.
On it being “slightly” longer lasting and slicker…I just can’t agree with you there. Liking the look of a wax is definitely a preference that many have, but to say a ceramic is basically a wax 2.0 (if that) is just inaccurate.
Appreciate 2
TboneS541043.00
      06-03-2023, 08:48 PM   #26
bandook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I used Ceramic for the first time about 2 years ago. This weekend I went back over the paint, clayed, polished and reapplied ceramic. This time when I clay barred, I noticed a huge difference. The paint felt like it was clean. There was hardly a need to clay bar. I'm a believer in it for sure. I'd say it's probably a good idea to redo the horizontal surfaces more frequently because they are the first to lose the hydroscopic qualities, but it's pretty amazing to me, personally, how well it holds up. I used the Sonnex kit. Might try something different next time.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7188.50
      06-03-2023, 09:00 PM   #27
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

i was a long time user of menzerna powerlock. switched to ceramic (a few different brands) and never looked back. ceramic lasts much longer, which much better hydrophobic properties. that being said nothing has ever outshined my auto finesse wax.

my current protection is adams graphene ceramic topped wirh turtle was flex wax. shine and longevity!
      06-04-2023, 07:54 PM   #28
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

If one just wants protection…. Youd be surprised how resilient finish kare 1000p and collinite 476 are. Get a couple layers of that on your car and youre likely good for the better part of a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #29
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

I too have gone to the dark side. I've loved using carnauba over the years; love the application/wipe, smell, "glow".

But the durability/longevity of ceramic, the self cleaning/water beading and super shine/gloss are just too good. And it's not like you have to spend big $ anymore, even a $50-$60 bottle now will last a year or 2.

But I agree with the above, the look is mostly down to the paint prep beforehand, no matter what LSP you use. I was a bit deflated, actually, after my first application of a true ceramic because the car didn't look way better than it did with polishing and wax. It does look better, mind, just not as much as I led myself to believe I guess. It's more about the protection/water behavior, self cleaning for me. Slightly better optics is just a little bonus.
      06-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #30
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

The fact that they advertise that is a reason I would never go there for anything bc anyone who knows anything about coating know this is crap. And either they are clueless or crooks. Neither is good !
Appreciate 1
chicagox7188.50
      06-15-2023, 09:53 PM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
I continue to contemplate a ceramic coat, though am curious what happens towards the end of its life. Does it look spotty as it disappears, does it just look horrible- or does it slowly go back ‘normal looking’?
Unpopular opinion:

Ceramic coating for a car that's not fully PPF'd is a pretty wasteful move, here's why:
  1. Coatings don't prevent marring, i.e., swirls
  2. Unless you or your detailer are an exceptional maintenance washer AND nothing ever touches your car you're going to get swirls
  3. Once you get swirls you need to polish them out; this is fast & easy even for a noob but it removes the coating
  4. Most daily drivers will have swirls in 12-18 months, ceramic coating or not, which makes duration irrelevant if you don't like swirls
  5. Water-based sealants does everything ceramic does for 1/100th of the cost EXCEPT duration which, as above, doesn't matter / can be achieved w quarterly applications of a sealant
There's simply no reason to ceramic coat an un-PPF'd vehicle given one can achieve the EXACT same results with a water-based spray sealant applied 3 or 4x / year for $10.

And before anyone says "Ceramic has chemical properties you don't understand ...": yes I do understand them, I know what polydimethylsiloxane is, I know you can buy it for super cheap on Amazon and no I don't think it's useless or snake oil, it's just the very wrong tool for the job 99.9% of people are trying to accomplish. I ceramic coat my wheels; great stuff! The right tool for that job. I don't ceramic coat my paint because it's the wrong tool for that job.

Ceramic's core benefit is durability, i.e., multi-year.

But that benefit is obviated by applying a water-based sealant 3-4x/year since the objective is a hydrophobic sacrificial layer.

And finally, unless you're good at washing your car and do it every 2-3 weeks OR you have your detailer do it, in 1 month a ceramic coated car will look just as crappy as a non-ceramic coated car.

So what's the answer?

* Do a good strip wash
* Chemical de-con
* Wipe down with panel wipe, i.e., IPA or something like Car Pro Eraser
* Apply a great water-based sealant like Turtle Wax Seal-n-Shine or spend 4x on some water-based hybrid/ceramic/graphene/nuclear brand name thingy

You'll get the EXACT same results as a $3,000+ ceramic coating and won't be upset in 2 years when you have to polish with your baller setup that was still way cheaper than 1 pro-coat.

Last edited by GrussGott; 06-15-2023 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
chicagox7188.50
icj_45e108.00