ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

First wash...and first waterspots

Really frustrating as I've been looking forward to my first wash of my new G87 for months now.

My process:
- Pressure washer rinse
- Foam with Gyeon Foam
- Rinse
- IronX spray down
- Rinse
- Gyeon Tar spray down
- Rinse
- Bucket wash with Gyeon Bathe
- Rinse
- Dried with Griot's PFM

I noticed the water spots all over so I ran and got some Gyeon water spot remover and it did the trick for the obvious spots. There were so many I'm sure I missed a few as it got late and dark out. I may go get some CarPro Descale and start over.

I don't feel like I waited too long to dry. Is it possibly I used to much concentrated soap (Gyeon Bathe)? Or do I just have crappy hard water? (Going to test it today)

I do not have a deionizer.
      06-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

probably crappy water. from what i read ph balanced shampoo has nothing to do with water spots rather keeping your sealant/ protectant unharmed.
      06-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Probably hard water. Especially if it was sunny and you didn't get to it in time. "In time" can be measured in like single digit seconds, it can be really frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 03:05 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have never had a problem with water spots.

I use Groit’s best of show soap in their brilliant finish foaming sprayer.
Then I use a microfiber mit and scrub the car.
Then I rinse.
Then I dry with a Groit’s PFM.
      06-03-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
probably crappy water. from what i read ph balanced shampoo has nothing to do with water spots rather keeping your sealant/ protectant unharmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Probably hard water. Especially if it was sunny and you didn't get to it in time. "In time" can be measured in like single digit seconds, it can be really frustrating.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I have never had a problem with water spots.

I use Groit’s best of show soap in their brilliant finish foaming sprayer.
Then I use a microfiber mit and scrub the car.
Then I rinse.
Then I dry with a Groit’s PFM.
The Northwest has some of the best water in the country so that makes sense. I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
      06-03-2023, 05:20 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Were you outside in the sun?
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

If possible do your final rinse with deionised water or after drying go over the paintwork with Koch Chemie Fse detailing spray.

Koch Chemie Fse - Finish Spray Exterior
All-round detailing spray for fast care of all external vehicle surfaces such as paintwork, glass and plastics. With its special formula even stubborn limescale stains are removed quickly and without leaving any residue. Cleans, maintains and preserves in a single step. Depth of colour is returned leaving a smooth brilliant high gloss free from streaks. Finish Spray exterior is quickly removed, is easy to use and protects the surfaces against new dirt.

You can also use Optimum No Rinse as a quick detailer which will also remove water spots, mix ONR with deionised water at a ratio of 16:1
Appreciate 1
Game7402.50
      06-03-2023, 06:00 PM   #8
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

I have hard water, but water spots are only ever a problem if I wash the car in sunlight and don't blow or wipe the water away fast enough. Doesn't matter what products used.
DocL1930.00
      06-03-2023, 11:13 PM   #9
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Were you outside in the sun?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
If possible do your final rinse with deionised water or after drying go over the paintwork with Koch Chemie Fse detailing spray.

All-round detailing spray for fast care of all external vehicle surfaces such as paintwork, glass and plastics. With its special formula even stubborn limescale stains are removed quickly and without leaving any residue. Cleans, maintains and preserves in a single step. Depth of colour is returned leaving a smooth brilliant high gloss free from streaks. Finish Spray exterior is quickly removed, is easy to use and protects the surfaces against new dirt.

You can also use Optimum No Rinse as a quick detailer which will also remove water spots, mix ONR with deionised water at a ratio of 16:1
Does it leave any protection? I do have Griot’s speed shine I can use as a drying aid. Avoiding any product with protection as the car will be getting PPF’d this upcoming week.

Purchased Descale and going to rewash tomorrow.
      06-04-2023, 07:10 AM   #10
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Hard water... Get a deionizer for the rinse cycle. I also use detailing spray on the final wipe. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18179.00
      06-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Were they there before the wash?

I doesnt seem like the process should cause it unless you allowed the water on the car to dry before drying it off.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #12
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Good point. Could have parked nearish a sprinkler or something like that in the past. Depending on the car color and level of dirt it may not have even been noticed until after the actual wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Hard water... Get a deionizer for the rinse cycle. I also use detailing spray on the final wipe. Good luck
I may have to look into getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

I doesnt seem like the process should cause it unless you allowed the water on the car to dry before drying it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Good point. Could have parked nearish a sprinkler or something like that in the past. Depending on the car color and level of dirt it may not have even been noticed until after the actual wash.
Nope, not there before the wash.
      06-04-2023, 06:01 PM   #14
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Here's a great little setup, nothing big, but good for a car at a time. Works well as long as you understand how to use it, ie, final rinse only... I use it, recommend it. And for the cost, it's a deal. If doing multiple cars, some setup from Obsessed Garage might be in order.

Here's the deionizer...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H8...b_b_asin_title
Appreciate 1
Game7402.50
      06-04-2023, 09:04 PM   #15
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Here's a great little setup, nothing big, but good for a car at a time. Works well as long as you understand how to use it, ie, final rinse only... I use it, recommend it. And for the cost, it's a deal. If doing multiple cars, some setup from Obsessed Garage might be in order.

Here's the deionizer...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H8...b_b_asin_title
That’s awesome. I’ll definitely look into it.

Also update: Hand washed the car with descale, rinsed, dried and more water spots. Tested my water with an at home tester and it is indeed very hard.
      06-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #16
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Yeah, knew as soon as I read the op that it had to be the water. Didn’t wash my car when I lived in Chicago, never had to experience that problem.
Appreciate 1
Game7402.50
      06-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #17
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Update:

Took care of it for now with Gyeon water spot remover and then CarPro reflect polish.
Attached Images

06-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #18
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

I use this stuff on water spots, not sure if you can get it over there, but it’s brilliant

https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/prod...ecta-2-0-500ml
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #19
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
I use this stuff on water spots, not sure if you can get it over there, but it’s brilliant

https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/prod...ecta-2-0-500ml

I get quite a few of my products from Clean And Shiny (I'm in the UK too)
Appreciate 1
RichF90M5C1630.50
      06-15-2023, 10:13 PM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Update:

Took care of it for now with Gyeon water spot remover and then CarPro reflect polish.
Rinse with de-ionized water and you won't have that problem.

You can buy de-ionized water at the grocery store bulk water section like at whole foods:

I gotta say, your wash process seems super product heavy and you might be (for sure will be) better off ditching the buckets and doing something more like this:

* Spray down with rinseless solution: de-i water + a good rinseless (ONR, McKee's, P&S)
* Use the Garry Dean method
* Dry with a good drying towel or blow dry

I've gone through an ass-ton of different iterations of wash technique:

99% of everything in this pic is an unnecessary toy

The above 3-step "rinseless" process is BY FAR the safest & least marring; goes fastest with the cheapest Hydroshot (in the pic above) with the watering wand
Appreciate 2
Game7402.50
      06-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post

One thing to be mindful of with KC Fse. It uses a decent amount of 2-Butoxyethanol, which is a solvent that can degrade many polymer sealants and ceramic coatings. A few applications won't hurt, but repeated use will definitely affect sealants and coatings.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #22
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=GrussGott;30224826]
Quote:
Rinse with de-ionized water and you won't have that problem.

You can buy de-ionized water at the grocery store bulk water section like at whole foods:

I gotta say, your wash process seems super product heavy and you might be (for sure will be) better off ditching the buckets and doing something more like this:

* Spray down with rinseless solution: de-i water + a good rinseless (ONR, McKee's, P&S)
* Use the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the"]the Garry Dean method
* Dry with a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a"]a good drying towel or blow dry

I've gone through an ass-ton of different iterations of wash technique:

99% of everything in this pic is an unnecessary toy

The above 3-step "rinseless" process is BY FAR the safest & least marring; goes fastest with the cheapest Hydroshot (in the pic above) with the watering wan

My wash process in the first post is definitely not my norm, it was my first wash of my new car and it was for PPF prep. But you’re right, it is product heavy but I’m a weirdo and love trying new products. Normally it’s just the typical two bucket method with a couple of TRC wash mits and high quality drying towels to pair with my air blower S.

I definitely need some deionized water for my final rinse. I just can’t justify the nice deionizers just yet…if I lived in a warmer climate sure. Do you purchase bottles and use them in your wash bucket?