ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Sticky & Pealing Interior Plastic

Recently added a 2008 Z4 3.0si to my garage and car is in pristine overall condition (only 33K miles after all). I looked forever for the right color (Hellrot), low mileage, condition, packages, and of course 6MT.

The only requirement I wasn't able to score was the interior color. Beige. Not a fan of beige. I budgeted some cash (from negotiating the price down) to swap out some of the interior bits over time to black.

Long story short - I discovered that BMW has unfortunately discontinued most of the black trim pieces (they still sell beige). I bought 3 used black pieces for "phase 1" (top of center console) but most of their surfaces are either already pealing or sticky enough that they'll start pealing soon.

Question I have for those of you @n@l like me that care about these things, how have you addressed sticky & pealing interior trim pieces if you happen to own a 2000's BMW? I know Audis and MBs had similar issues during the same time period.

Vinyl wrapping is absolutely out of the picture. It's not for me.

I got Wurth Trim Satin Black paint (along with SEM's Soap, Prep, and Adhesion Promoter). Impressed with the quality and durability (just testing), but absolutely hated the sheen. No where near as "dull" as original parts or rest of car interior.

I just ordered SEM's Flat Black Trim - we'll see how it pans out.

But curious as to what others have done with their cars when original replacement interior parts are no longer available. There must be business capitalizing on professionally resorting these things that I just haven't found.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Currently have 5 e9x’s in the immediate family. Three of them have suffered from the sticky door pulls. Turns out you can buy replacement door pulls from Amazon and install them in about 20 minutes. Cannot tell they are not BMW parts. Less than $30 each last time I checked.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:22 AM   #3
rawiyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Recently added a 2008 Z4 3.0si to my garage and car is in pristine overall condition (only 33K miles after all). I looked forever for the right color (Hellrot), low mileage, condition, packages, and of course 6MT.

The only requirement I wasn't able to score was the interior color. Beige. Not a fan of beige. I budgeted some cash (from negotiating the price down) to swap out some of the interior bits over time to black.

Long story short - I discovered that BMW has unfortunately discontinued most of the black trim pieces (they still sell beige). I bought 3 used black pieces for "phase 1" (top of center console) but most of their surfaces are either already pealing or sticky enough that they'll start pealing soon.

Question I have for those of you @n@l like me that care about these things, how have you addressed sticky & pealing interior trim pieces if you happen to own a 2000's BMW? I know Audis and MBs had similar issues during the same time period. how to screenshot on windows

Vinyl wrapping is absolutely out of the picture. It's not for me.

I got Wurth Trim Satin Black paint (along with SEM's Soap, Prep, and Adhesion Promoter). Impressed with the quality and durability (just testing), but absolutely hated the sheen. No where near as "dull" as original parts or rest of car interior.

I just ordered SEM's Flat Black Trim - we'll see how it pans out.

But curious as to what others have done with their cars when original replacement interior parts are no longer available. There must be business capitalizing on professionally resorting these things that I just haven't found.
Why? I love black color
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

justdashes.com

I saw this on Jay Leno's Garage.

may not be what your looking for but its's fun to know what's available.

https://www.justdashes.com
Appreciate 0