ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
klaussca
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Past Oil Change

I could not find this topic anywhere, but is there a way to tell when or how many miles ago the last oil change was done. I just bought a 2004 BMW Z4 and there is no documentation about maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

With unknown maintenance it would be good due diligence to change all fluids and applicable filters.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaussca View Post
I could not find this topic anywhere, but is there a way to tell when or how many miles ago the last oil change was done. I just bought a 2004 BMW Z4 and there is no documentation about maintenance.
If they reset the service interval you’ll see a count down for mileage to oil change at initial start on the dash then it goes away like after 5sec or so from key turn. That’s a big IF. When I got my e86 from a non bmw dealer they changed the oil pre sale. I changed it as soon as I got home with not knowing what oil/filter they used. Just that anal to not want to take any chances. It’s one of the easiest and cheapest things for our cars to do yourself for piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaussca View Post
If you are going to keep the car for a while then it is a good idea to invest in changing all the fluids.
If the PO didn't do dealer maintenance you can bet the rear diff and transmission oil have never been changed before, same with flushing the brake fluid.
It might just be me but when I get a new toy I want to start fresh from a known base, new sparkplugs, coils, filters, injector cleaning, flush all fluids/oils.
At least then you know that none the cars systems are wearing out prematurely.
      03-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #5
klaussca
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Thank You everyone, I am planning on doing the liquids anyway, but always nice to find the little tip and tricks.
Appreciate 0