ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 & E90 335i 6MT MSport

Code out seat airbags with NCS Expert

Hi,

Both my belt tensioners are throwing codes for high resistance. The stock seats have the worst bolster support so I'm planning to get a bucket seat or a seat with a better bolster. How would I code out the seat airbags so I do not have a light? I have taken out the passenger seat and i did get errors which I coded out. However there is still one error popping up for the satalite b pilllar right:

98FB coding, firing circuit, safety battery terminal (E85), or belt tensioner, rear right (E6x), at variance.

The passenger seat belt tensioner was set to not installed as well as the rear right seat belt tensioner. Not sure why I am still getting this code.

Last edited by Dynamics99; 09-08-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

There is a twisted pair wire going to BST cable connection to battery…. If you follow this back you will find a connector. That connector can get dirty causing a high resistance error which will show as the code you have in some of the hand held code readers. That is exactly the code I got many years ago when I first purchased my '04 roadster. As I had just bought it from a dealer they sent it to BMW who diagnosed and fixed the issue… which is why I know what caused it and the fix used by BMW Tech as written on my work order remarks. I loaded INPA on a laptop and when it happened again it showed up and gave the high resistance error. The resistance needs to be between 1.8- 3.2 ohms. INPA and it's replacement INSTAD both allow you to delve into the error and give you the ability to actually measure the resistance in real time. I cleaned the connection and all was good after clearing the error. Happened to me another 3 times over the next 8 years. I ended up cutting out the connector this summer and replacing it with a new connector. Use a good electrical cleaner….
      11-09-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

I know this is an old thread...... but any chance of snapping a pick of where that connector is for the rest of us ?!?!?

My air bag light is on.... would like to check this out. Although I feel its more along the lines of the Dukes of Hazzard entry style into the passenger seat by some hoonigans I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

The original connector has been replaced… but it is in the same position (clipped).

You can see my yellow heat shrink where I cut out and replaced the old connector.

The twisted pair to the right goes to the BST/battery cable….or the one on the other end.
Attached Images

11-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
I know this is an old thread...... but any chance of snapping a pick of where that connector is for the rest of us ?!?!?

My air bag light is on.... would like to check this out. Although I feel its more along the lines of the Dukes of Hazzard entry style into the passenger seat by some hoonigans I know.
The connector should be on the belt tensioner if you are talking about that. Sadly my driver seat cannot be removed as one of the bolts is spinning without backing out. Did you diagnose with ISTA or INPA for the airbag light?

I just got some free time because of winter break. So while this car is garaged for winter I can diagnose this and hopefully get rid of that light (I have OCD).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Name:  BMW_Z4_codes.png
Views: 1181
Size:  159.9 KB

I scanned the car with ISTA. These are the codes I got. Im not worried about the nozzle heater or the Multifunction. The SBSR and SBSL are the issue. Should I recode the module again with NCS Expert?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:32 AM   #7
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

The SBSL and SBSR error codes are set if you disconnect the connectors under the front drivers and passenger seats if I remember correctly.

I would disconnect each one in turn… inspect/clean with spray electrical cleaner. Check for corrosion/bent pins etc.

Reconnect and clear error codes with your software.

If they clear… you are good to go. If they don't… using ISTAD… you can dig down further in the software. ISTAD should propose likely causes/test procedure if appropriate to fix the issue.

The SBSR code also references the battery terminal open circuit as a likely cause. It is likely caused by issues with the connector that I sent the picture of. I would disconnect/clean also with electrical contact cleaner.

The code I got with that connector issue was high resistance… which is not the same as open circuit…. but I believe that your code is also related to that connector and the wire from it to the BST on the battery cable connection to the battery. So check the connector connection and wire to BST.

If you can get a copy of ISTAD … it's much better for diagnostics….vice INPA. INPA can do the same but the upgraded software is better/easier for diagnostics.
      11-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #8
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

I do have ISTA. I have the standalone version 4.32.15. The image I posted comes from ISTA. I have not done the diagnosis procedure but thanks for the starting advice. I'll try cleaning the connectors out and post an update.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Smile

UPDATE: Got some time to track down the errors. Used ISTA to see the resistance between different airbags. Tracked it down to the Driver side front steering wheel airbag stage 2 connection was at 0.8 Ohms. It was below the threshold. The accepted levels for that specific airbag are between 1.4 Ohms to 3.2 Ohms. I'm running a quick-release steering wheel OMP setup so apparently, the resister became disconnected from the yellow stage 2 clip. Once I secured it back in the resistance reading was at 2.9 Ohms and fell between the threshold.

The second code was the Battery Safety Terminal. The resistance was too high showing at 5.9 Ohms. The accepted values for the threshold are between 1.4 Ohms and 3.2 Ohms. So I cleaned up the BST connector with an air duster and plugged it back in. Then carried out a test with ISTA which showed 2.4 Ohms. So I then cleared out the codes and now my dash is lights free.

I was reading online about how the BST can be finicky but mine was not blown, it just needed a cleaning.
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50