ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
Ascanio
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX-5, BMW Z4 M Roadster

OPINION Rebuilt S54 engine - Auto Clinic of Ormond

Hello I am soon (I hope) going to be the proud owner of the car of my dreams, an e85.

I am looking at a sale ad for a Z4MR with a rebuilt engine (by Auto Clinic of Ormond Inc in FL), with 140k miles on the clock.
Does anyone know that shop? Can I expect the engine to have been rebuilt better than stock?

I am not new to rebuilds, for example if I were to buy a Ducati motorcycle, especially something special like a 1098R, I would have the engine rebuilt before ever cranking it up, to make sure no fat rod bearings have been installed due to lax tolerances in the street bike assembly line. And I would have it done by a MR. Nobody, whom I know personally and has built and driven rally cars and racing bikes all his life.

So… given the S54 engine has known.. quirks.. would you rather get a stock one, with low mileage, or a rebuilt one by these folk?

Thank you for your answers and happy drives!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Ascanio
Private
Rep

BTW, the seller has receipts for the work, nearly 10k USD for the engine work.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
Thats a reputable shop, but I've never dealt with them personally.
      09-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
Ascanio
Private
Rep

In general, would you prefer a stock S54 with the risk of it being a “bad” unit due to lax tolerances in the assembly line, or a rebuilt one that (if done properly) should be bullet proof?

It’s clear the current owner has taken proper care, and spent over 13 grand on it a couple years ago, bringing the mechanical parts back to new (also brakes and control arms, for example, on a 146k miles car).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

What is a rebuild engine?
It's a nondescript term
Without a list of checks or list of components swapped/work done it says nothing.
Also the reason why it was rebuild can be very very important.
It could have been just worn, it could have a spun bearing, It could have had a money shift, but the block could also have been cracked and welded...
All very different.
But if the 10k spent was all necessary, that engine was in a very poor state I imagine.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-28-2021 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
1messedupZ4M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 2003 E46 M3

As someone who is rebuilding a used engine for their Z4M

I am ~7k deep in parts alone.. so.. these motors are offensively expensive.

That being said, if it was done by a good shop and it has good compression, I would say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
Ascanio
Private
Rep

Well the receipt #1 (2019) cites items such as
- Water pump
- Oil pump
- Different types of bearings
- Timing guide rails
- Head bolt set
- Head gasket set
- Crankcase gasket set
- Clutch kit

Comments: "R+R Engine Overhaul, Adjst valves, salvage parts from spare"

Receipt #2 (2020) cites items such as
- Oil change (Redline 10W60)
- Crank position sensor
- Thermostat
- Coolant
- Front left control arm

Called up the garage, boss told me he remembers about the car, they "rebuilt the engine from the ground up", they didn't want to share details over the phone, since I am not the owner of the car, I can only imagine there was another engine from which they have scavenged the parts (there are circa 3500 USD of new parts, circa 5000 USD of labour).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
Ascanio
Private
Rep

OK so the owner had the engine rebuilt as a precaution, because he wanted a “bullet proof engine” and not having to be concerned with rod bearings nor valves.
He says there wasn’t any issue with the engine to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:37 PM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

That list of replacement parts isn't a rebuilt engine, that list is consumer usable items (possibly oil pump aside) on the S54, possibly a warped head, And if they payed 10k US to do that, I'll hold the rest of my comments right here as they rest would include a shit load of swear words..

Also of note... Front left control arm.. what happened to the right?