ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #23
Garik
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

I also finally replaced the motor this summer. I got new motor off of ebay and it worked out nice (clean the wire connections and test to make sure you connect the new motor correctly). I used lower half of the rubber cover and relocated the motor in to the trunk (picture attached).

Also, since I didn't have second set of hands, I pulled the roof out of its place and just slid it about a foot to get access to the motor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Convertible...72.m2749.l2649
Attached Images

09-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #24
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Nice.. I got from that same guy.. now ill have a spare electrical motor..

my screw that holds that motor in was so badly rusted and rounded.. when i have more time ill cut the bolt off.. for now Im just waiting for my mustang motor and be done with it.
      09-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

My mustang motor comes tomorrow, do you guys know if there is anything to do, ie clean out the old fluid from pump, assuming it comes either full or drained.
      10-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #26
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Tomorrow's the day... mustang pump here.. ebay motor, convertible repair kit.. old pump.. can't wait

10-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #27
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Done ! mustang motor in.. first time opening since 2012.. now to redye the top

10-05-2020, 05:03 AM   #28
Mike 1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Does anyone have the ebay link for the motor and pump? Can't find motor and pump as one unit. Does the pump go or is it always just the motor. Looks like the way to go.
Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by Mike 1; 10-05-2020 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #29
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Depends on how rusted it is. Mine was so bad, I still haven't gotten the pump separated. Going to borrow my neighbors cutter and cut through the bolts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2014-F...AAAOSwDtRe848k
      10-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #30
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Heres the bolt, m5 .8-30mm
Not sold separately or listed in the bmw catalog

They have titanium ones too

http://www.amazon.com/M5-0-8x30mm-Av.../dp/B07VNRMM7J

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/cap-head-s...-SSCF-M5-30-A4

01-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #31
1messedupZ4M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 2003 E46 M3

I am confused by this thread.

Why can I not reinstall the new Mustang pump in the old location? am I understanding that it is due to the hoses connecting at a different location?

My pump made a cavitation noise - it is running out of fluid. Same noise a similar pump made on my E61's hydraulic lift gate, so I know it all too well. Want to replace the pump while I am in there since it is slowing down, but, don't want to lose trunk space.

Thanks guys!

Edit:
I guess people are relocating it to get it out of the OEM location prone to soaking in water. I was just going to cover it in a thick plastic sheet and drill out the drain hole bigger lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #32
bradz41987
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 2.5si

If you can’t get the screws out that are holding the electric motor and bracket on to the hydraulic pump because they’re too rusted if you’ve stripped the thread in them try using a pair of locking vice grips. I was able to spray some WD40 on them then get them off using a pair of those. I was just about to buy a whole new unit including the hydraulic pump top part, although I managed to get the two M5 30mm screws out so I only had to order the electric motor and bracket. I also ordered two more M5 30mm screws with 80 pitch and 22mm thread stainless steel to replace the ones that were in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #33
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I sprayed wd40 in mine for first week.. with no luck I move to one from store, penetrating oil for week 2.. literally every few hours ill spray the screw. By third week, I bought this free all off amazon. Every day i spray it at least once and on days Im home, ill spray it 4-5 times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022VY74/

Gave up after third week.. just cut it off since I have a replacement electrical motor side.
      08-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #34
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

I recently completed this swap on my 04 3.0i. I've been meaning to put together a video showing what I did and where I relocated the components but here's the headline:

Top now runs like a top. It is quick, consistent, and I no longer need to worry about water damage to the pump. Given the cost I would definitely recommend this mod to anyone whose top has gone kaput.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #35
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
My top currently works just fine, but I always follow these threads so I have an idea what to do if and when I should start experiencing problems.

In researching this, I found lots of posts on UK forums and lots of videos on YouTube. One of these posts led me to eBay and it appears that there is someone (in Germany, not China!) producing new replacement motors, complete with the bracket, and multiple people are selling them. Do a search on eBay for "BMW Z4 top motor" and you'll see a bunch, ranging from ~$60 to a little over $100. Some include the bracket and some don't.

Here's one result: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...motor&_sacat=0

This seems like a pretty good alternative to finding a used Ford Mustang top motor. I'm thinking of proactively buying one while they're available since the cost is relatively low and it's probably inevitable that the motor will fail sometime in the future, even though I live in an area with low humidity, little rain, and hardly any trees with leaves. Any good reason why not?

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #36
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I bought that but some times the top pump has issue also issue was the 2 bolt were stuck so bad, I didnt want to wait to see if my pump was bad vs the motor. I got my mustang motor for 125, wasnt that much more than a motor itself. I guess depends on time and issue, pump vs motor..

I think top hydraulic does some pump rebuild, there was another place that will rebuild your unit, it was $350 for rebuild. You only need rebuild if the motor is good but pump is gone
      08-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #37
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
My top currently works just fine, but I always follow these threads so I have an idea what to do if and when I should start experiencing problems.

In researching this, I found lots of posts on UK forums and lots of videos on YouTube. One of these posts led me to eBay and it appears that there is someone (in Germany, not China!) producing new replacement motors, complete with the bracket, and multiple people are selling them. Do a search on eBay for "BMW Z4 top motor" and you'll see a bunch, ranging from ~$60 to a little over $100. Some include the bracket and some don't.

Here's one result: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...motor&_sacat=0

This seems like a pretty good alternative to finding a used Ford Mustang top motor. I'm thinking of proactively buying one while they're available since the cost is relatively low and it's probably inevitable that the motor will fail sometime in the future, even though I live in an area with low humidity, little rain, and hardly any trees with leaves. Any good reason why not?
I tried buying a replacement motor only (though mine was likely chinese courtesy of Amazon) and it went poorly. Pulled the entire top, replaced the motor, reinstalled and it ran for about 4 or 5 up/down cycles and died. The drive shaft/gear interface was not great and I think it stripped the gear under use. After that I went the mustang pump route.

If you can find a high quality replacement pump it's not necessarily a bad idea. But after going to the mustang pump and seeing the increased speed and how easily it can be tucked away I wouldn't go any other route.

That's just one guy's opinion though and YMMV.
Appreciate 3
      09-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #38
jgood1020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5L

Hi everyone, just read through this thread and I'm in the same boat. The roof unlatches from the windshield mount when I press the open button but doesn't move. We had removed the roof and manipulated the pump a bit (cleaned it, added hydraulic fluid, etc.) and got it back in where it worked probably 5 times up and down but then slowed and slowed until finally no movement at all.

I'd like to do the Mustang roof motor swap and found a couple of used ones off eBay, but I have probably a pretty basic question. How do you make the electrical lines from the BMW wiring harness work with the Mustang pump? On the old BMW roof motor it's just two tabs on the bottom of the motor that the two electrical wires plug into. All the Mustang motors I've seen have what looks like their own electrical connector. Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #39
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

They dont show you but under that black cover, its the same positive and negative spade. Just plug in
      09-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #40
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

ie www.ebay.com/itm/304106742436 that black cover unclips and its the same 2 spade as the bmw one
      09-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #41
jgood1020
Registered
Rep

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I've ordered a motor from eBay, looking forward to testing out this swap and relocating the motor to the trunk.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #42
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

no prob.. good luck when i first got mine, i thought i had to use the pigtail connector they had.. luckily i just open that cover...
      09-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #43
jgood1020
Registered
Rep

Good news, the new motor works great! We were able to relocate it to the trunk fairly easily and it quickly opens and closes the roof. Total job of removing the roof, replacing/testing new motor, and reassembly probably took 3 hours.

Bad news, looks like the driver side hinge is leaking somewhere. We checked the hydraulic line connections and they looked ok, so wondering if perhaps some of the seals in the hinge have failed. Eventually will either replace or refurbish the hinge, but in the meantime going to keep some hydraulic fluid in the trunk and fill it up whenever the reservoir runs low (pretty easy process with the relocated motor!).

Now on to the A/C system not working...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #44
golfmanpat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

Does the Mustang pump motor have the manual override option like the BMW one does?
Appreciate 0