ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Advice needed - tire rubbing metal fender

2006 Z4M Roadster
---------------------

Hi guys - after my last track day on Saturday at Atlanta Motorsports Park I heard an odd noise coming from the rear driver side wheel arch. The noise sounds like metal groaning and being pulled. It was only happening if I accelerated hard in sports mode, took a right turn, or went over a bump on the road. After a while I stopped by the side of the highway and noticed some bumps on the wheel arch fender. See video attached.

The car went into the shop today and they have said the following:

- Tire's/rims might be too large. I am running Yokohama Advan AD08r's (F:225/40/18, R:255/40/18) - installed in September 1'6, and have the Beyern Mesh wheels (Front: 18x8.5", Rear: not sure, either 18x8.5" or 18x9.5", from previous owner)

- Shock is busted. They are recommending I replace all shocks. Looking into OEM. Are there any aftermarket options available that are a direct swap for OEM? Might want to replace springs as well?

- They are convinced that the tire is 100% rubbing against the fender liner and the metal fender, there are rubber marks everywhere

I'm not sure what to do about this. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The car is basically undrivable till I get this sorted out and I really don't want to spend too much money (quit the corporate job to run a start-up...low on the $$$$'s)

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Need to know what the offset is on your wheels. The tire sizes and wheel widths by themselves aren't out of bounds, but if the wheels have too much positive offset you can definitely get a rub issue.

Last edited by dc_wright; 04-15-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

There appear to be a clear line on the tire where the fender is rubbing on the tread?

If that is the case, then the offset is wrong on the wheel, although that does not answer the root cause. If the tire only started rubbing the fender this weekend after an event, something BROKE allowing the rear suspension to compress uncontrolled. Fixing the size/offset of the wheel isn't going to address what is more pressing, whatever that broke to allow the rear right wheel to compress into the fender where as before it wasn't.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cheap solutions:

- Dial in more negative camber so that the wheel tilts in more and clears the fender.

- Get the fender rolled to allow for clearance.

Other thoughts:

Your tire size my not be the best match, but I'm not familiar with z4m's I feel like the 40 aspect ratio at that width may be making your overall diameter larger than stock, but not sure by how much. Search for the Z4M Wheel and Tire spec thread for more information. More info is definitely needed about the offset of your rims to know how much they "poke".

There are plenty of options for dampers out there aside from OEM. Just search and look for name brands and what you're looking for. IMHO if you're replacing all the dampers why not just accumulate more funds and invest in a coil over setup, since you're going to the track anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Hi all - update on this.

So i've taken the car to another indy for a second opinion, their notes are:
- Definite rubbing issues, can be seen clearly on the tire
- Rubbing on right AND left side (passenger side paint being burned off and now flaking)
- Do not want to proceed with any suspension changes without a body shop first looking at the car and fenders

Took the car to my body shop guy:
- Suggested we first check tire alignments, have them double check suspension and then take it as it comes
- Suggested to first pull and roll fenders slightly and repaint (I do not want to touch the body work if it can be avoided)

Took the car to the tire guys:
- Found that the rear tires were misaligned by 1deg (could be caused due to 2 track days, tail of the dragon, regular driving), aligned back within OEM spec neg. camber by -1deg
- Test drove the car, no rubbing or metal groaning issues
- Took at look at the suspension, said it all looks fine

Seems like the alignment fixed the issue. We are going to watch it and see if the rubbing noises and issues come back.

Thoughts welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

It sounds like you were nearly at zero camber in the rear and they set it to -1 degree? That would definitely move the tire away from the wheel arch and zero camber would be a terrible setting anyway unless you were big into drifting.
I'd be really looking into how it wound up there and if it was the same on both sides then I'd say that was an error from a previous alignment as it would be pretty unusual for both sides to drift the exact same amount.