ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Squeaks and loose rear end

So my rear end is squeaking. It makes a squeaking when I enter and exit the vehicle. Obviously makes a noise when I push down on the car. It's located mainly on the driver side.

Also when driving the rear end feels loose. I don't know how else to describe it. It's kinda like a floating feeling. I've looked underneath the rear end and the bump stops are rotted, a lot of the bushings look old (but may just need some grease, and the spring pads do look decent (but obviously may be old).

After seeing the bump stops and hearing the squeak I'm thinking the entire suspension may need an overhaul. I was thinking of shocks/struts and new RTABS. I would like to go with something that could hold up to possible lowering springs in the future.

Now that I think about it, the condition of the bump stops and the squeaking may indicate that the entire car maybe sitting on the springs possibly and those may be worn.

I'm really looking to get opinions on this. I don't want to just throw parts at it and hope it fixes it. But the wife and I are trying to save up to purchase a house so I'm not wanting to spend an enormous amount.

Driving style is relaxed yet spirited. I've spend 4 years overseas in Germany so I'm still getting used to driving in the states again.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Wotfun
Wotfun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si

There are quite a few folks with a lot of expertise in this forum. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert. But, I would think the way you described the bump stops as "rotted" indicates you need to replace the rubber parts - bump stops, bushings, etc - probably front and rear. (You may get questions about the year and model of the car and the mileage.) One other thought re the expense...shop around for parts. Prices can vary significantly. Pelican Auto Parts has been less expensive for several parts I've needed. Also, between forums like this and YouTube, you can learn to do most maintenance yourself. The biggest part a repair cost is typically the labor. Good luck!

Last edited by Wotfun; 03-04-2017 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0