ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Install thoughts

I have bought some new parts and wanted to run by you to get your opinion. I bought the camber bolts because my tires were chunking on the shoulders. I also bought sway bars for the front and rear to take out body roll until I upgrade to coil overs. And I also bought some used 18" track wheels with tires from someone. The tires are street tires but for now they will have to do.

My question is, since I need to get an alignment after the camber bolts and sway bars, does it matter if I get the alignment before mounting the new rims? The ones on the car now are 19" and I was afraid the change in diameter would throw off the alignment.

Also, how long would it take to do the camber bolts and sway bars for your average indie shop?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Going from 19" to 18" wheel doesn't change tire diameter that much. Tire size changes diameter, not wheel size. For example, a 225/40/18 and 225/35/19 are only 2/10ths" different in diameter. A tire calculator can help. http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

It's about 1/2 hour labor for the camber bolts IIRC and probably 1 hour for the ARBs. Unless you plan on driving a lot of miles before installing the suspension upgrades, it's probably fine to wait and get the whole thing aligned once after the install of the suspension pieces.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-14-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0