ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

caster adjustment

Hey guys,

Car is on the alignment rack right now.

I have KW Clubsport with the KW camber plates. The right front wheel, when turned full lock to the left, contacts the front of the fender liner. The left wheel, does not.

How doe we adjust caster?

Spare me the "your mechanic should know how" stuff please for now! Doing this with a friend just to get the car home.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

some camber plates are not caster adjustable. depends on the plate really
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
some camber plates are not caster adjustable. depends on the plate really
Yeah I've gathered that. Not being sarcastic.

Still, I'm so confused as to why the right front wheel will touch the fender liner, and the left will not... Any issue ANYONE can think of??
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post
Hey guys,

Car is on the alignment rack right now.

I have KW Clubsport with the KW camber plates. The right front wheel, when turned full lock to the left, contacts the front of the fender liner. The left wheel, does not.

How doe we adjust caster?

Spare me the "your mechanic should know how" stuff please for now! Doing this with a friend just to get the car home.

Thanks!
As far as i know, the KW Camber plates are non caster adjustable.
Can you snap some pics just to take a look before forming an analysis?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
As far as i know, the KW Camber plates are non caster adjustable.
Can you snap some pics just to take a look before forming an analysis?
I'll get some tomorrow, yes. Was so flustered today I didn't even bother. Can't believe the one wheel is in a slightly different spot than the other.

Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
I'll get some tomorrow, yes. Was so flustered today I didn't even bother. Can't believe the one wheel is in a slightly different spot than the other.

Thanks for the reply!
I say you have a bent front control arm or hopefully a broken front control arm bushing, letting the car extend caster on full lock.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Yeah I've gathered that. Not being sarcastic.

Still, I'm so confused as to why the right front wheel will touch the fender liner, and the left will not... Any issue ANYONE can think of??
I know my caster is a bit off from my left and right...but sometimes camber is the same so I can't really help

I'd personally check your suspension components and make sure everything is straight, and unbent...etc
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I say you have a bent front control arm or hopefully a broken front control arm bushing, letting the car extend caster on full lock.
I would be lying if I said I hadn't already run through this scenario in my mind... But the issue is that it was "fine" with the TCK DAs. I still had more rubbing on the right side, but it was not *pressing* against the front of the fender liner at 3/4-full lock on the left as it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I know my caster is a bit off from my left and right...but sometimes camber is the same so I can't really help

I'd personally check your suspension components and make sure everything is straight, and unbent...etc
I guess I'll have to... Any tips here? Some of this stuff can't be seen straight on. What would you look for first? Maybe remove the "scuff" plate and check the control arms/FCABs?

My car only has 61k kms on it now. Was lightly tracked before it was owned by me. "Lightly" lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
I would be lying if I said I hadn't already run through this scenario in my mind... But the issue is that it was "fine" with the TCK DAs. I still had more rubbing on the right side, but it was not *pressing* against the front of the fender liner at 3/4-full lock on the left as it is now.

I guess I'll have to... Any tips here? Some of this stuff can't be seen straight on. What would you look for first? Maybe remove the "scuff" plate and check the control arms/FCABs?

My car only has 61k kms on it now. Was lightly tracked before it was owned by me. "Lightly" lol.
One more thing to check is if the TCK top mount is mount in a different direction in relation to the coilover. If the top mount is symmetrical to its center, it could be creating an different caster.

Be sure that the left shock is used for left side, right shock is used for right side and the top mounts is appropriate for it's side (left for left and right for right)

Be sure to check if the car has been in an accident and the wheel used is a different width or the control arm is the same length as the other side.
you need to measure it in comparison to the other side from all mounting points. It's a triangle so basically 3 measurments.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One more thing to check is if the TCK top mount is mount in a different direction in relation to the coilover. If the top mount is symmetrical to its center, it could be creating an different caster.
The car now has KW topmounts on the KW CS kit fitted to the car.

Quote:
Be sure that the left shock is used for left side, right shock is used for right side and the top mounts is appropriate for it's side (left for left and right for right)
I don't see how we could have screwed this part up... aren't the mounting locations for the brake lines, etc + the endlinks only correct if you have the correct shock on the correct side?

Quote:
Be sure to check if the car has been in an accident and the wheel used is a different width or the control arm is the same length as the other side.
you need to measure it in comparison to the other side from all mounting points. It's a triangle so basically 3 measurments.
The wheels are not an issue. They are nearly brand new CCW C14s with very new tires.

I will however, measure the control arms when I get a chance. I am worried now.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
The car now has KW topmounts on the KW CS kit fitted to the car.

I don't see how we could have screwed this part up... aren't the mounting locations for the brake lines, etc + the endlinks only correct if you have the correct shock on the correct side?

The wheels are not an issue. They are nearly brand new CCW C14s with very new tires.

I will however, measure the control arms when I get a chance. I am worried now.
Don't be, it's not like you have a bent chassis. couple of hundred dollars and you're back drifting ... take it easy bro life is good
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't be, it's not like you have a bent chassis. couple of hundred dollars and you're back drifting ... take it easy bro life is good
Thanks for your help dude! I'll report back with my findings.
Appreciate 0