ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Separate Track Pads Yes, but Rotors?

For HPDE events, for those running track pads do you also use another set of rotors? And while on topic pads, what are you running front and rear? Would stock pads in rear work with say Hawk DTC 60?
      08-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Same rotors is fine, just make sure to bed the hell out of your track pads, and your street pads as well after each swap. This car tends to like equal bias on the pads, or very close to it from what i've found by trial and error. I've been running the DTC-70s for the past 4-5 events, and while the inital bite is awesome, trailing off leaves much to be desired, have a pair of 60's to throw in next but may look into other options as well.

What tires are you running ?
      08-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Same rotors is fine, just make sure to bed the hell out of your track pads, and your street pads as well after each swap. This car tends to like equal bias on the pads, or very close to it from what i've found by trial and error. I've been running the DTC-70s for the past 4-5 events, and while the inital bite is awesome, trailing off leaves much to be desired, have a pair of 60's to throw in next but may look into other options as well.

What tires are you running ?
I'm waiting for my Hankook V12's to wear down, but I plan on replacing with the R-S3's.
      08-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

I do not change rotors.

DTC-60 in front with stock rears would give you too much front bias.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
I do not change rotors.

DTC-60 in front with stock rears would give you too much front bias.
Thats what I figured, any suggestions for rears? Would HP+ be ok or would you suggest using the same pads on both front and rear?
      08-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Thats what I figured, any suggestions for rears? Would HP+ be ok or would you suggest using the same pads on both front and rear?
Same pad front and rear.

Check out this months issue of Grassroots motorsports, they have a great review on E46 M3 track pads, and also address the different compounds front to rear. A worthwhile read.
      08-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

If you're running Hawk for track only, my experience on the Z4 indicates SLIGHTLY less pad in rear; yes, I did read the article. That would be DTC70/DTC60 or DTC60/HT10.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
The more I've read up on pads, the more I'm leaning towards PFC 06's, good price, and they last forever without killing your rotors. I may run PFC 06's on both front/rear.
      08-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Mcoupe06
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

PFC 06's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
The more I've read up on pads, the more I'm leaning towards PFC 06's, good price, and they last forever without killing your rotors. I may run PFC 06's on both front/rear.
I'm on my second set of PFC06 pads - I got 24 days on track out of them last year - really impressed with the pads - good bite and I haven't been able to over heat them (yet anyway) - rotors are wearing as expected - I run them front and back.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Stoptech Friction on OE rotors for me.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I keep the same rotors on but bed in the track pads during the first set of orientation laps.

I've found that with my driving style this chassis does not like different pads front and rear. I drove for about 1 year with Cobalt XR3s up front and Cool Carbons in the rear and the combination SUCKED. Well, suck is a harsh word, but when I swapped for Hawk DTC60s all around, despite the Hawks not having the same initial bite as the Cobalt, I was having far more consistent laps and time with the Hawks. What I found, was that while having different compounds for a handful of laps were okay, they became a liability in the later laps. The front brakes will require the front tires to work harder and I would end up with the front tires being anywhere from 4-6 psi higher than the rears, and the harder I pushed the quicker the onset of "understeer" due to the fronts being overwhelmed. With equal compounds front and rear, I've not seen anything even remotely approaching the same weird issues with uneven temperature and pressure increases. The fronts and rears are never more than 1/2 psi apart (depending on what track and how 'frisky' I feel).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0