ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Hoosier R6 - pressure & temp?

Looking for advice on the best pressure and temp for Hoosier R6 tires.
Running 245x40x18f and 275x35x18r.
The car weighs 3100lbs with gas, no driver.

This past week after just three track days I corded the outside edge of the front tires. I did rotate left/right between days. Pacific Raceways is tough on the front right but I did not expect this type of wear.

We dialed in -.5 degree additional camber to -3.6 degrees and put on a fresh set of fronts. (Toe is set to almost neutral at 0.11 degree toe in but we will zero this out soon). On Saturday the new fronts showed signs of the same edge wear pattern after the first session.

Coming off the track the outer, middle, inner temps were 142, 146, 154f.

I was used to running the R888s at around 42psi hot and set the Hoosiers for about the same but on the advice from other experienced people at track I lowered it to about 36psi hot.

After lowering the pressure and re-chalking the wear started to look much more even. So it seems that the Hoosiers are very pressure sensitive and need to run at a much lower pressure.

Does anyone have experience running these tires & have advice?

Thx
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Just from autocross experience from my friends E36 M, he runs his Hoosiers are around high 20s cold and low 30s hot IIRC.

But you are right on they are very pressure sensitive. He was running high pressures one day and dropped the rears 1 psi and ran 0.2s quicker
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Approx 3100# w/driver, -2.9 frt camber. I usually start the R6's @ 30 psi on a cold track and maintain about 34 psi hot. This is on a 3.0 roadster with frt strut brace. An understeer condition would probably increase wear substantially. joel
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
Approx 3100# w/driver, -2.9 frt camber. I usually start the R6's @ 30 psi on a cold track and maintain about 34 psi hot. This is on a 3.0 roadster with frt strut brace. An understeer condition would probably increase wear substantially. joel
Thanks Joel
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I wouldn't run so much stagger on this car on the track. Also check for play/compliance in your suspension. If you have rubber bushings, they can be suspect under load. I had some real strange tire wear issues on another car and they all went away when I switched to GC camber plates (at ran about the same static camber) with spherical bearings. You might also be forcing the car to push by carrying to carry too much speed into the turn or not using the brakes effectively to keep the fronts loaded. R6 is a sensitive tire; doesn't take much to destroy it (ask me how I know!) Finally, you might want to check this out: http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf

Last edited by lucid; 06-28-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome thx for the link
Appreciate 0