ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Return of the Notorious N52 Lifter Tick!

Has anyone had their lifters replaced and the ticking has gone away only for the ticking to return 1-2 years later? Well, that's exactly what has happened to me. I started her up about 2 weeks ago to move her into the driveway and wash her but she didn't tick back then. Having the car basically sit for about 3 weeks due to vacation, work and slowly detailing the car, I finally started her up today for a drive. Lo and behold, the ticking has come back.

I've moved away from the Rochester, NY, where I originally purchased the CPO car from a BMW dealership. Will I have any problems getting this repaired here in Charlotte, NC?
      08-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hey Aries - I would think that your CPO warranty, unless expired, is good at any US BMW dealer. Just make sure you take your car to the best dealer in your area. As you know, some (like my local dealer) are really good to deal with and others - not so much.

Good luck!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Had the lifters replaced in the 328i but that was only recently and it was done under warranty. It sounded like a tractor when I started up the car so I took it in. Hopefully the fix last longer than 1-2 years.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
That's the problem, I believe the warranty has expired. I read somewhere that once a dealer has addressed an issue during the warranty period and it still isn't resolved after the warranty period, they'll still fix it. Any truth to this?

Has anyone here gone as far as getting the next step done after the warranty period after their lifters were replaced during the warranty period?

I have seen on e90post where ticking has returned as long as 1-2 years after lifter replacement.
      08-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

According to the service manager at the dealer where my car came from, my car was addressed for this before I bought it in 2009. Its been fine since and fingers crossed, I don't forsee it recurring now. So a proper repair should fix the issue for you permanently.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
iErik
Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, RRS SC

Fill those lifters up!

Not a big deal really... but if you want to read more about this here is a link.

http://www.rtsauto.com/bmw-e90-valve...ter-ticknoise/

Mine is fine after changing to Motul oil and adding more spirited driving.

The cylinder head fix that was supposed to be the real fix, may not be the ultimate fix (and still extremely expensive). You can still get the same problems after a "while". The lifter change; the updated hydraulic lifters basically have an orifice alteration, may help some... still costly.

It boils down to the lifters zero valve clearance that is maintained hydraulically to ensure quiet operation. Its not likely to cause a total breakdown during the vehicles lifetime. But your ego might be hurt (or damaged) when it sounds like you are hauling around in a DIESEL sports car from time to time.

If you let it sit... you will most certainly get "the sound" because of what is described in the link.

We bought our car new (2006) in Germany when we lived there (now it has >50,000 problem free miles), never had any problems since we were driving it up and down the autobahn, which would be spirited driving all day long. It started to occur when returning to the states a few years ago. Also, if you read the manual... don't let the 3.0si sit and idle to get warm, you should start it and drive off moderately. It will help squeeze that air out of the lifters quicker and heat it up to working temp quicker.... and all is good.