ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #45
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

In the garage at Christmas, roll on Spring!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Mirko182.00
Vanne1620.50
3GFX722.50
      01-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #46
Sliktop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2skiddy View Post
Almost completed the project, just waiting to get the ABS talking to the Motec, and it's off to the track next spring! I'll get some more photos out when I get chance, as they are all over the place!
When I look at my Z4MC in the driveway, in my head I visualize your car... Such madness, I love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #47
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

THERE.ARE.NO.WORDS.
Where will you track the car?? Silverstone? Brands Hatch?
      01-02-2020, 03:36 AM   #48
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Hopefully, the next track outing will be at Blyton Park, a track fairly local to me, nice and smooth and not too large. The other major tracks are great, I love Donington Park, which is also local, but I need to make sure that the most important thing is working correctly, THE BRAKES!!! Everything else needs a good checking too, as this was quite a complicated build. The electronics are not easy to sort out, for me, but hopefully I will get the ABS unit addressing the Motec ECU next week. Work in progress.......
I bet you have some great tracks in the USA, I haven't been around any of them, yet. Once went to PIR for a British car meet years ago, in a previous life!

Happy New Year to all fellow Zed Heads.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #49
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully, the next track outing will be at Blyton Park, a track fairly local to me, nice and smooth and not too large. The other major tracks are great, I love Donington Park, which is also local, but I need to make sure that the most important thing is working correctly, THE BRAKES!!! Everything else needs a good checking too, as this was quite a complicated build. The electronics are not easy to sort out, for me, but hopefully I will get the ABS unit addressing the Motec ECU next week. Work in progress.......
I bet you have some great tracks in the USA, I haven't been around any of them, yet. Once went to PIR for a British car meet years ago, in a previous life!

Happy New Year to all fellow Zed Heads.
Blyton Park:
https://www.blytonpark.co.uk/the-circuit

Looks like an awesome track! Were you referencing PIR (Portland International Raceway) in Portland, Oregon? I've attended races there, including the 93 Indy Car race which I'll never forget; it's the year prior Nigel Mansell retired from F1 and came to the US to race Indy Car; I had a chance to meet him and he autographed my Williams F1 hat and t-shirt. Portland is about 150 miles south of Seattle.

There is a great track close to me - Pacific Raceways:
http://pacificraceways.com/road-course/

The road course has an awesome downhill culminating in a 180 degree very tight right hander; I really want to track my beloved Z4M Red Roadster one of these days, but am concerned about the obvious (damage).

Last edited by racerbruce; 01-08-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #50
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Hi racerbruce, Yes it was up at Portland, I was living down in Orange County at the time, in 1992/93, but travelled up and down the PCH quite a few times. I didn't get much further than just into Washington State, before travelling back south. I am hoping to do the memory lane trip again in the next couple of years, and will check out Pacific Raceways, looks awesome. Blyton looks a little bit small in comparison, but every track is a challenge/fun, so I hope you get your Zed on your local track. My almost standard ZMC was excellent on the track days, sometimes I wish I still had it, bought a modified 2009 135i instead, which is also a blast, and easier to use as a daily driver too!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #51
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Up in the air....again, a few photos while I'm at it. Not sure why some of the photos have gone upside down, but I don't think it matters too much! The mesh for the arch vents is available from Motorsport BTW, a pain to fit, but finishes it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #52
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Awesome!
The small bits to finish up a most incredible build.
      01-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #53
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

This is the stuff of dreams
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #54
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Been busy trying to sort out ABS programming, eventually got something through from BMW Motorsport, and hoping to get my electronics guy to install this week. This has been really frustrating, but it is very necessary to have ABS on this car, I missed it not working on the maiden track outing. It will be great to get back out for a definitive shakedown, before possibly putting it on the market. Hoping for good weather to get the slicks warm soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #55
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Worked on the splitter hook up today mate, not exactly the same as yours, how /where it hooks up, but pretty close.

Did you say "possibly selling????" What??? Why??? For the love of God...

Lovely pics, please keep em coming at a steady rate.

I've heard our DME is easy to hook up with the Motorsport abs/traction.. some guys can do this at a third of the cost of the Motorsport package. Or so I've heard...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #56
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Vanne, the car's ECU is all bespoke, I chose Motec for reliability and compatibility. The ABS ECU has VLN programmed into it, but I needed the software to operate, Motorsport are presently helping out with this. Hopefully all will be sorted soon. This project has taken so long, other things have come into my life, taking me in other directions, hence the possible sale. the challenge has been in the build of the car, hopefully I can find a careful new owner in due course? I'll post more photos when I retrieve them off the PC. Keep up the excellent work on your project, starting to look the biz!
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #57
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Ready for selling to the next custodian, I'll get an advert together, time to move on unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #58
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Wow, that’s a shame after all that effort! Perhaps the best E86 track/race car out there. I certainly hope it goes to a good home. Maybe one state side so I can see it on track...��
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #59
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh no!

Quote:
Ready for selling to the next custodian, I'll get an advert together, time to move on unfortunately.
2skiddy
First, hoping all is well in your new direction life is taking you; we have all "lived the dream" of your BMW Motorsport Z4 full-blown race car; if you do not get the opportunity to be on-track with this car, you will always have the pleasure of negotiating to purchase a BMW Motorsport race car from its archives....

If possible, keep us apprised of this car's next steps.

Wishing you the best -
Bruce
      02-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #60
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Michael, I hope it does go to a good home, maybe it would be more appreciated in the USA, who knows? This build has been my passion for far too long, I have enjoyed the challenges of the build, most of the time, and has given me a great sense of achievement. I do like driving on track, done it for many years, but don't get as much time now, due to other interests. The car really needs a younger driver with possibly a small team of helpers to benefit the most. It might be more desirable as a race car with a normally aspirated engine, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I have another waiting project and a couple of storage issues for that car, so needs must!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #61
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Bruce, as well, yes wrestling the car out of Germany was quite prolonged, to say the least! I think that negotiations began back in the spring of 2012, when I had my GT4 Z4MC. I will be back on track soon, to make sure all is well with her, before she finds a new home.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #62
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you -

Quote:
Thanks Bruce, as well, yes wrestling the car out of Germany was quite prolonged, to say the least! I think that negotiations began back in the spring of 2012, when I had my GT4 Z4MC. I will be back on track soon, to make sure all is well with her, before she finds a new home.
All of us would love to be included in #14's race-track outing via pics and narrative.

Additionally, please continue posting when you can on this site so we can be in touch with your next race car venture.
      05-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #63
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Nothing new, just waiting for things to get back to normalish, then maybe a track outing/shakedown. I can only go into the garage and kick the tyres! Hopefully someone will make me an offer for the beast one day, and liberate some space!
Happy Zedding everyone and good health.
Appreciate 2
Vanne1620.50
wdb4695.50
      05-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #64
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thanks for the update mate, and I get it, sometimes you have to choose between things, and cars do suck up a lot of time. Let me know when that shakedown happens, ill come watch. (and drool a little too )

Hope your keeping well mate in these crazy times..