ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #23
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41250n View Post
I think I’ll order the bluebus first, so for the two cables that is now plugged into the bluebus unit, where did you unplugged it from?

Those 2 cables you're talking about, they weren't plugged into anything. They were loose cables tucked away behind my amplifier. I believe they're supposed to be for your CD changer if your car is so equipped. So if you have a CD changer, you'll need to unplug from the changer, if you don't have a CD changer, they should be loose wires tucked behind the amp just like mine.

You may not even need to remove the amp, I definitely removed more pieces than I needed to b/c it was my first time and I wasn't sure what I was doing. However, if I did not remove the amp, I would not have seen the wires. Also, the amp is secured to a bracket with a velcro strap. I removed the entire bracket but thats not necessary either, you just need to remove the velcro strap and the amp should come out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #24
ClickAndClack
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stw0rldpr0blems View Post
Those 2 cables you're talking about, they weren't plugged into anything. They were loose cables tucked away behind my amplifier. I believe they're supposed to be for your CD changer if your car is so equipped. So if you have a CD changer, you'll need to unplug from the changer, if you don't have a CD changer, they should be loose wires tucked behind the amp just like mine.

You may not even need to remove the amp, I definitely removed more pieces than I needed to b/c it was my first time and I wasn't sure what I was doing. However, if I did not remove the amp, I would not have seen the wires. Also, the amp is secured to a bracket with a velcro strap. I removed the entire bracket but thats not necessary either, you just need to remove the velcro strap and the amp should come out.
Yup, I pretty much did the same. Probably removed more than I needed to, but did that so I wouldn't damage anything. Did you find a loose coax cable in your car? I didn't find one in mine.

As 1stworldproblems mentioned, the connectors that are used are the pre-wire for the CD changer. For me, they were in that hole next to the DSP. Took me a while to find them with my hand.

1stworldproblems, do the auto-lock comfort settings work for you? It didn't work for me and I sent an email off to Ted about it. He said he will be looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #25
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I am not sure the Auto Unlock works for us. I have tried coding it with NCExpert and the option is not there (that I can tell at least)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #26
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
I am not sure the Auto Unlock works for us. I have tried coding it with NCExpert and the option is not there (that I can tell at least)
Hi!

The BlueBus doesn't depend on the ZKEs ability to perform a task in order to get the job done . In fact, the BlueBus emulates the diagnostics system (INPA/DIS) and hijacks diagnostic actions programmed into the given modules (LCM/LSZ and ZKE so far) in order to perform the comfort actions. In this case, the BlueBus is using the "FOB Lock" action (used to diagnose if the lock button on the key is no good, or if the ZKE isn't recognizing the action) in order to lock the doors. For Unlock, I use the diagnostic option meant to test the unlocking of all doors. I do see that there's a ZKE5 S12 variant, and for the Z4 I use ZKE5 jobs, but my 2006 E46 works fine with the ZKE5, so I can't imagine they iterated the ZKE and changed things that much for the last 3 - 4 years of Z4 production.

Anyways, I will have a look through ZKE5 S12 jobs and make sure that the unlock job wasn't removed.

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #27
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
Hi!

The BlueBus doesn't depend on the ZKEs ability to perform a task in order to get the job done . In fact, the BlueBus emulates the diagnostics system (INPA/DIS) and hijacks diagnostic actions programmed into the given modules (LCM/LSZ and ZKE so far) in order to perform the comfort actions. In this case, the BlueBus is using the "FOB Lock" action (used to diagnose if the lock button on the key is no good, or if the ZKE isn't recognizing the action) in order to lock the doors. For Unlock, I use the diagnostic option meant to test the unlocking of all doors. I do see that there's a ZKE5 S12 variant, and for the Z4 I use ZKE5 jobs, but my 2006 E46 works fine with the ZKE5, so I can't imagine they iterated the ZKE and changed things that much for the last 3 - 4 years of Z4 production.

Anyways, I will have a look through ZKE5 S12 jobs and make sure that the unlock job wasn't removed.

Thanks!
-Ted
Thanks for the technical insight Ted!! keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #28
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Thanks for the technical insight Ted!! keep us posted
Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm if long pressing the "Talking Head" button on the steering wheel summons Siri / Google Assistant?

I have a Z4M customer who is reporting that this doesn't work, and I have a feeling there's something wrong with his MFL

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #29
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm if long pressing the "Talking Head" button on the steering wheel summons Siri / Google Assistant?

I have a Z4M customer who is reporting that this doesn't work, and I have a feeling there's something wrong with his MFL

Thanks!
-Ted
I will try it when I get it... sorry I cannot help right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #30
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
-Ted

It does not work on mine either. It summons the regular navigation command, not Siri.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #31
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I can't for the life of my find those 2 cable (6 & 3pin cable). That little cubby from your photo that is empty, i have something there covering it. Is that remove from the front or rear (not sure if you know).. I need to check in there.
I found the alpine 6cd installer instruction and it looks like its behind that center holder. Ill check this weekend
Thanks
      10-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #32
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

The 6 and 3 pin looks like it comes from the front. This is off the 6cd changer install doc. My issue is that panel above the #4 in the diagram is blocked from the trunk. I have my car open, Ill remove that cubby and check this weekend

10-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #33
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
It does not work on mine either. It summons the regular navigation command, not Siri.
On your phone, or on the head unit?

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On your phone, or on the head unit?

Thanks!
-Ted

Lol, on the head unit. But all I have to do is say "hey siri" and it will summon Siri on the phone and play through the speakers, so I'm not upset that the button does not work.

It also is not auto locking the car when I reach the set speed, but the unlock function works when I turn the key off.

I'm still happy with the Bluebus regardless. These issues are not near being a deal breaker. The biggest benefit is being able to get into my car, and the system will auto connect and start playing music with the phone still in my pocket. No more plugging into the aux cord, and I can now skip songs through the steering wheel vs having to skip through the screen on my phone. Still a 10/10 product for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #35
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
I can't for the life of my find those 2 cable (6 & 3pin cable). That little cubby from your photo that is empty, i have something there covering it. Is that remove from the front or rear (not sure if you know).. I need to check in there.
I found the alpine 6cd installer instruction and it looks like its behind that center holder. Ill check this weekend
Thanks

I found my cables through the back of the car, right behind the amplifier. I would not have seen it if I did not remove the amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #36
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Found mine... it was taped under the center storage box. Would not have found it without tearing it apart.. could not get my hand in there under the storage box from the trunk either

10-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #37
t3ddftw
Rep

Quote:
Lol, on the head unit. But all I have to do is say "hey siri" and it will summon Siri on the phone and play through the speakers, so I'm not upset that the button does not work.

It also is not auto locking the car when I reach the set speed, but the unlock function works when I turn the key off.

I'm still happy with the Bluebus regardless. These issues are not near being a deal breaker. The biggest benefit is being able to get into my car, and the system will auto connect and start playing music with the phone still in my pocket. No more plugging into the aux cord, and I can now skip songs through the steering wheel vs having to skip through the screen on my phone. Still a 10/10 product for me.
OH, I think I remember you keeping the OE TCU, which means that you probably set "Handsfree" to "Off", so Siri can't be summoned by the BlueBus.

I'm still working to figure out what might be the problem with the lock function. Definitely found some suspect code when reading back the central locking state, so I may hit you up to try the update.

Thanks!
-Ted
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #38
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OH, I think I remember you keeping the OE TCU, which means that you probably set "Handsfree" to "Off", so Siri can't be summoned by the BlueBus.

I'm still working to figure out what might be the problem with the lock function. Definitely found some suspect code when reading back the central locking state, so I may hit you up to try the update.

Thanks!
-Ted
hmm, you may be right as I haven't made any changes other than installing the BlueBus. I'll check my Handsfree setting to see what its at.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:32 AM   #39
fresch84
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i (E85)

Hi

I have my Z4 for a week now and I want to order the BlueBus module soon. I just wondering what I need to order to have also the telephony function.

On the BlueBus website you could add different adapters (54pin, SES 26pin, DB25) to the order. From my understanding i would need the 54Pin Adapter, is that correct?

My '03 Z4 has telephony prewired. (S640), Navi Prof (S609), CD Changer (S672) and the DSP (S677)

Question to all Z4 drivers who had equipped with the BlueBus, which adapter did you need to used/ordered?

Greetings from Germany

Frank
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #40
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm, you may be right as I haven't made any changes other than installing the BlueBus. I'll check my Handsfree setting to see what its at.
I have set auto-lock with NCS Expert, so this would not be an issue for me. the auto-unlock is the real deal for me... I already have my blinkers to 5 times.

I plan to use my OE BT to avoid any issues in the CAN network... and I have found the OE system does a fine job.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #41
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am receiving my BlueBus tomorrow and today I dedicated the day to prep the car for the installation of the module. In the case of the coupe the installation is pretty easy, or so was in my case. I did not have to remove anything from the interior of the car, just the trunk's bulkhead liner

So what I did was...

1. Remove the bulkhead liner, it is secured by two push pin at the far ends, if you pry from the middle, you can work your way towards each end. Also the liner has molded slots that attach to tabs on the side carpet panels. you can find some reference images here.

http://www.billswebspace.com/bmwmc.htm

2. Once you remove the liner, you have access to the harnesses behind it, in my case I took the amplifier off to be able to fish out the CD Changer wiring. the Amp is just hold in place by a velcro strap, undo this and you can slide it off the bracket. Just set it aside, no need to disconnect the amp

Name:  IMG_0394.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  460.5 KB

3. Behind the bracket, and in between the bulkhead, you will see the two leads with the cd changer connectors, just pull them out carefully, it does not take a lot of effort. in the image below you can see how these leads sneak under the bulkhead, I just literally pulled them out one at a time.

Name:  IMG_0395.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  459.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0396.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  486.4 KB

For now that it is, tomorrow when I get the BB I will see how can I attach it, but I think double-sided tape is the best, I can paste it to the monster bracket that holds the amp. If you want to leave the USB cable plugged and accessible for future firmware updates you will need to route it out from behind, I am not sure I want to do this yet.

Last edited by maupineda; 11-02-2020 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #42
Shigg614
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Wait so what about us with the DSP? I can't seem a coax cable that fits...

I did find one with a black and purple cover around it that I wasn't able to connect directly to the unit.
      11-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #43
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigg614 View Post
Wait so what about us with the DSP? I can't seem a coax cable that fits...

I did find one with a black and purple cover around it that I wasn't able to connect directly to the unit.
What I understand is that our DSP is analog, so you use the 6 and 3 pin connections. We don't have the digital DSP.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #44
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

I just received my Bluebus in the mail and realized that I also need the 54 pin adapter in order to get it to work with my integrated hands-free calling. I find it odd that no one else in this thread has installed the 54 pin adapter since it adds so much functionality. Does anyone know where to find the 54 pin plug in an e86?
Appreciate 0