BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Diesel or Petrol?

10-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Stu667
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D F30

Diesel or Petrol?

Hi all, I am on the market for a replacement car for the wife. She is quite jealous of my 320d and wants a little 1-series to park next to it

We've settled on an LCI model, so 2015 onwards, probably a 2016 or 17 plate. She's not a petrolhead or fussed about blazing performance so a 116 or 118 would probably be fine.

The question is, do we go for the diesel or petrol engine? My wife does minimal miles, her daily commute is probably 3 miles, if that, and she rarely ventures out of town so I worry this would cause problems with the DPF on a diesel engine. On the other hand, I have an aversion to BMW petrol engines after a bad experience with a 2009 320i which was an absolute lemon. There also seems to be far less choice with the petrol engines on the used car market.

I'm aware of the problems of DPF's clogging and potentially being an expensive fix. However I've also read that modern BMWs can force a DPF regen by adding fuel to burn the soot off. I guess what I'm asking is, do modern BMW diesel engines negate the problem of not driving on long runs, or is it still very much an issue? Would a weekly or monthly run keep the DPF happy?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

With very few miles traveled, and short trips, she is better off with the petrol car. It will run smoother, quieter and overall better for her.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

And the B38 engine seems to be a lot more reliable than the engine you had in the 320i.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
With minimal miles I suggest petrol as well. With only 3 miles commute how about a hybrid? Can't imagine 3 miles being great for the engine. A 125e will be launching sooner or later. Currently you could also get a X2 25e or 225e Active Tourer (if you like the design).

Other than that BMW is throwing the 118i after you with like <100 pound leases, you probably can get a great deal on one of those. Unfortunately they come with the 1.5l three-banger which I find a chore to endure in start/stop traffic, but that's something you can live with. Depending on the cost of the F21 it could be an option to get the newer model instead of a used one. Edit: Well seems like there are no such deals in the UK after a quick search, in Germany you can get them for 99€/month without a deposit so I thought maybe there are similar deals in the UK as well...

You're not making a mistake with buying a F21 though, it's a great car!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
Stu667
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
With very few miles traveled, and short trips, she is better off with the petrol car. It will run smoother, quieter and overall better for her.
Thanks Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
And the B38 engine seems to be a lot more reliable than the engine you had in the 320i.
I hope so, I vowed never to buy a BMW petrol after the N43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
With minimal miles I suggest petrol as well. With only 3 miles commute how about a hybrid? Can't imagine 3 miles being great for the engine. A 125e will be launching sooner or later. Currently you could also get a X2 25e or 225e Active Tourer (if you like the design).

Other than that BMW is throwing the 118i after you with like <100 pound leases, you probably can get a great deal on one of those. Unfortunately they come with the 1.5l three-banger which I find a chore to endure in start/stop traffic, but that's something you can live with. Depending on the cost of the F21 it could be an option to get the newer model instead of a used one. Edit: Well seems like there are no such deals in the UK after a quick search, in Germany you can get them for 99€/month without a deposit so I thought maybe there are similar deals in the UK as well...

You're not making a mistake with buying a F21 though, it's a great car!
Leasing is expensive in the UK for some reason, it might suit businesses but I wouldn't consider it a great option for personal use. Only way we'll get £100 monthly repayments is with a cheap personal loan and a 4/5 year old car. It's great you can get those kind of deals in Germany, I really envy you
Appreciate 0