ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Weird Aux-In behavior.

I wanted to listen to tunes on the iPod today on the ride home, but the iPod battery was dead. I plugged in the Aux jack and then the USB-to-power socket adapter and the iPod started charging, but when I went to set the radio to Aux, it wouldn't. It would just toggle between radio and CD. It was like the Aux In plug had failed. When I got home the iPod was charged, so I disconnected the charging plug and then suddenly the Aux option appeared. The system works fine now. So apparently when the iPod is charging there is no Aux option, which is odd because the Aux option will show even if the iPod is not attached.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^+1. i cannot be using my cigarette lighter charger for my palm pre and connect it via aux. apparently, the charger's current affects the aux out on our mobile devices, and this supercedes the tolerances on the head unit and thus aux will default off. running off battery power i have no problems whatsoever and aux simply works.

minor annoyance as i'm not usually having to charge my phone in-car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Ok, thanks. At least it's not something weird with my car. Although I have charged my iPod while listening on Aux in my X5. Just won't work in the Z4. Just have to make sure the iPod stays charged, I guess.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

It kinda makes sense, the radio is made to support AUX, but the option isn't there if the cable isn't plugged into the back. When you use the lighter and the AUX with the right/wrong device I guess it can make it look like that cable isn't plugged in.

Last edited by psygnosis; 04-12-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
My iPod charges while in the cradle whenever the key is on. I have never had an issue with the AUX input. I have this setup on both cars...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
My iPod charges while in the cradle whenever the key is on. I have never had an issue with the AUX input. I have this setup on both cars...
That's what I'm wondering about. The exact same setup in my X5 works fine. Just won't work in the Z4. Not really a big deal to make sure the iPod is charged, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Could you have an odd cable that is causing this?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
delete

Last edited by Shipkiller; 04-13-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Could you have an odd cable that is causing this?
Maybe. The only difference between the two is that the Z4 has DSP and the X5 does not.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't think that is it either.

My ///M has DSP but my Roadster does not and both work the same way with regard to operation.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
06Z4
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4

I have just installed the AUX IN cable about a week ago. When using my Belkin dock to charge my iPhone, my AUX will work but intermittently goes away. So far, I have not used the Belkin dock and have not seen the problem reoccur. Thanks to this thread, I will hold off on checking my pin connections to the existing harness to the radio head.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Uncle Russ
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Garage List
I've had my HTC Evo charging through the 12V plug and playing music through the built-in AUX jack with no issues except wires all over the place. I have the DSP/premium audio package (or whatever you call it) in my ///M Roadster.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

One day, I noticed there was a slight scratchy noise when I plugged the headphone jack into the Aux-in socket. I pulled off the panel to see what was behind it and noticed that the jack was not firmly attached to the panel. I tightened it up. However, I had not experienced anything other than a slight wobble in the connection. It worked fine before and after.

I have the factory installed Aux-In (2007) and a basic business radio.

Whether or not my iPhone4s is charging (lighter USB adapter charger), the Aux-In continues to work.

Perhaps the configuration of the Aux-In is different in factory equipped cars like mine.
It would seem odd if this was the case.

Or perhaps earlier i-devices cannot provide a signal to the headphone jack while charging. I would be surprised if this was the case too but I'm new to Apple.

From what you have said I would suspect your Aux-in connection is intermittent - a loose connection either at the radio end or the jack end. Start with the jack end. Easy to rule this out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Bayonet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 Mc

thats weird....ive experienced what you have when I charge my iphone and use the aux (it automatically changes it to radio....but then it DOES allow me to change the mode right back to aux. So for mine its just that initial connection
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
thats weird....ive experienced what you have when I charge my iphone and use the aux (it automatically changes it to radio....but then it DOES allow me to change the mode right back to aux. So for mine its just that initial connection
That's what mine does if I try to charge my iPhone and play music, for that brief moment the radio doesn't think the AUX cable is connected. I try not to charge and listen at the same time.
      02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am not sure why this occurs.

I put my iPod in it's mount and it plays and charges with no issues. This works on both cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
fiberguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Imola Roadster

Apparently BMW head units vary widely in their sensitivity to ground loops in aux mode. I installed an aux input for satellite radio that I hard wired into the fuse block on my first Z4 and never had a moment of trouble. When I did an identical installation in my ZM (using the SkyFi2 unit removed from the first Z) I have problems whenever the ambient temperature is above 78F. The aux input will play for a minute, then disappears. In cooler weather, everything works great.

My searching indicated that aux cut out problems are common, particularly in earlier Minis which have similar head units and are often caused by ground loops. That's why battery powered inputs work, but when the input is plugged into the car power, the aux fails.

The suggested solution is a ground loop isolator. I just installed a PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5mm isolator bought off of Amazon and am waiting for warmer weather to see if this cures my problem. It was a 10 minute job to hide it behind the dash access panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #18
ZEDTEMUR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Exclamation 2004 z4 aux adapter issue

I have purchased a aux adapter and plugged in to my radio, when you select aux mode it appears on the menu of the deck, but when I plug in it switches to FM radio. I don't know what the problem is? id be happy if some one can help,,
Appreciate 0