ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

2007 MINI COOPER S, BY PROCEDE!

See for yourself. Vishnu is working on a system upgrade for the new turbocharged MINI Cooper S. I dont know why this have me very excited.

Stock Stats:

0-60mph- 6.2, 172hp. Curb weight 2600lb.

If they could squeeze another 50hp out of it that would be amazing. What do you guys think?

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=101395
      08-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Arcangel2176
Registered
Rep
Drives:

wonder if these guys are gonna do 135 stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I dont know how much power I would want going into a MINI. The one a drove had a mild, but consistent, propensity to torque steer. I can only image what 50 lb.ft. more will do. If I were to get a MINI, which is still a possibility, I would leave it stock as it has more than enough to power to have fun and any more seems pushing it (even though the chassis, apart from the torque steer, could easily handle it).
      08-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

FWD + lots of power = annoying torque steer
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
bats
Chilly Willy.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel2176 View Post
wonder if these guys are gonna do 135 stuff
Same motor, unless the 135i get some changes? Shouldn't take long at all..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

I'm thinking of getting a little toy before I get my 135i. A PROCEDED MINI would be too much fun. Yeah there is torque steer but its a 2600lb car. I'm sure I can handle it. The Mazdaspeed3 seems to handle 260hp just fine....So many people would underestimate you in a car like that. I cant wait for Shiv to release details in a few weeks. I would rather experiment with his products on a 20k MINI rather than a 35k BMW.
      08-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
See for yourself. Vishnu is working on a system upgrade for the new turbocharged MINI Cooper S. I dont know why this have me very excited.
I know why. Because the damn thing only weight 2600 lbs. That's a LOT less mass to move around, and mass you feel in every corner, transition, etc.

I personally like the Coopers, but never liked the Brazilian supercharged motors. The new turbos? Could be a whole lot better, if it's anything like my 2.0T. Dunno, I haven't driven one yet. But I'm not ashamed to say I'm seriously considering whatever JCW (or shall I say, BMW!) comes up with for '08.

There's one big drawback, tho; FWD. I really do miss RWD.

No torque steer problems in my VW, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

mini with procede definatly for me
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

They already have it for the 335i so the only difference is the exhaust. This is not a big issue. A Procede 135 will be the Mutts Nutz........
      08-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I know why. Because the damn thing only weight 2600 lbs. That's a LOT less mass to move around, and mass you feel in every corner, transition, etc.

I personally like the Coopers, but never liked the Brazilian supercharged motors. The new turbos? Could be a whole lot better, if it's anything like my 2.0T. Dunno, I haven't driven one yet. But I'm not ashamed to say I'm seriously considering whatever JCW (or shall I say, BMW!) comes up with for '08.

There's one big drawback, tho; FWD. I really do miss RWD.

No torque steer problems in my VW, FWIW.

Haha, you nailed it!! Within a few weeks VISHNU will announce the power offering. What do you think would be a nice healthy bump? I might just get a used 07 Cooper with PROCEDE and let the 1er coupes price gouging and waiting list to die down.(could be a full year)
      08-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Haha, you nailed it!! Within a few weeks VISHNU will announce the power offering. What do you think would be a nice healthy bump? I might just get a used 07 Cooper with PROCEDE and let the 1er coupes price gouging and waiting list to die down.(could be a full year)
Real good question, I intend to drive a Cooper S soon and I'll give you a feel for what I think a "nice healthy bump" will look like. I have no experience with that engine yet. I can say that ~225hp and the same torque would make that thing be a nice little rocket, and I'd certainly sit up and take notice. My GLI is about 215hp/230tq. Chop off 650 lbs, add an LSD... Yeah, that would be a fun little car.

Not sure how hard it will be to find an LSD equipped car used; I do know I haven't seen one in dealer stock around here yet--maybe only on ordered vehicles?

It's too bad the 1er doesn't weigh a little less--a barebones stripper 128 around, say, 2800lbs would be a riot.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
DustinDallas
stud in a bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Cooper S

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a little toy before I get my 135i. A PROCEDED MINI would be too much fun. Yeah there is torque steer but its a 2600lb car. I'm sure I can handle it. The Mazdaspeed3 seems to handle 260hp just fine....So many people would underestimate you in a car like that. I cant wait for Shiv to release details in a few weeks. I would rather experiment with his products on a 20k MINI rather than a 35k BMW.
You wont get a Cooper S for anywhere near $20k..I dont even think I've seen a NON-S Cooper for that cheap.

They start at $22k (the S), and trust me, you dont want a stripped car. Mine was like $30k, and I still could have added a lot more. Another guy on this forum just test drove a new S hatchback and he said it stickered for $32k-ish..and thats without the John Cooper Works kit, and they wont take a penny off msrp..still.

Stick with the 135i..the price difference will prob be minimal considering the performance jump.
      08-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
1POINT9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z3/JCW Mini/328i NO AUTOMATICS

Shiv personally tuned my Evo. He knows what he is doing.
With exhaust, and a drop in filter he was able to get 352 AWHP out of my car.

I would rather have him tune personally rather than buy a premade flash.. You get the best bang for the buck..

Set up a dyno/tune day in your area and if enough people sign up with deposits he will fly out.. Thats how we did it at Turbo Trix in Edison NJ..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKid View Post
They start at $22k (the S), and trust me, you dont want a stripped car. Mine was like $30k, and I still could have added a lot more. Another guy on this forum just test drove a new S hatchback and he said it stickered for $32k-ish..and thats without the John Cooper Works kit, and they wont take a penny off msrp..still.
I dont know about that... I have been looking pretty seriously at the S lately and you can find some very nice cars out there for less than 25 grand.
      08-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #15
DustinDallas
stud in a bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I dont know about that... I have been looking pretty seriously at the S lately and you can find some very nice cars out there for less than 25 grand.

it's possible....i just meant when both cars are spec'd out similarly, the price gap between the Cooper S and the 1 Series (est) decreases drastically.
      08-19-2007, 01:13 AM   #16
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
FWD + lots of power = annoying torque steer
Unless you get a LSD Or as I did a ATB DIFF..
      08-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #17
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would be VERY worried about adding another 50 ft-lbs to my MINI. (R53 with LSD)

Even as is (15% pulley, CAI, exhaust) it tends to jerk the wheel a little. Not always, (and not like an OLD FWD Turbo DSM) but enough to really remind me that it IS a FWD car and that I prefer RWD cars. Had to try it at least once, so it might as well be the MINI!

All I have is one test drive in an R56, and that was with two others in the car. Maybe the R56 is better set up to handle the bump in power. From what my guy at the dealership (who DOES know his stuff) tells me is that the new turbo engine and the N54 are very similar in design and approach.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #18
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKid View Post
You wont get a Cooper S for anywhere near $20k..I dont even think I've seen a NON-S Cooper for that cheap.

Stick with the 135i..the price difference will prob be minimal considering the performance jump.
I think he wants a preowned to hold him over.
      08-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Nope. I would look at new.

I priced mine out to 24k. And thats without negotiations and using my connections. Honestly, I would be looking at around 21k for a Cooper S with sport package, Xenons, sport suspension(its not incl. in sport package!) and LSD. Thats perfect for me. I dont need a these damn toys in my Cooper if I went that route. Plus I would want to keep the weight around 2600 to get the full benefit of a CEDE if it ever comes. I'll decide by december.