ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #23
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Now that's brilliant!!!
Anyhow, my point is, as long as it pass the FIA scruitneering, other teams should just STFU and start modifying their wings and do major upgrades.

McLaren has been saying "Flexing wings" for almost a year....even if RBR has a flex-wing that passes FIA regulations. That means they're on the limit of technology that the regulation allows. And I don't think RB7 can win by just one single part that outstanding. The overall chassis and package is top notch all the time.
If simple aero upgrade packages that teams bring to each new race can provide in the range of 0.3s improvement on average. I don't see why something as big as a deflecting front wing couldn't provide up to a full second of increased performance.

About in the range of how much the RB7(in the hands of Vettel) was in front of the MP4-26.

Anyways, I agree. I'd like to just see Macca come out with one and get competitive for pole. Imagine Hamilton in a car comparable to the RB7.
      04-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #24
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
If simple aero upgrade packages that teams bring to each new race can provide in the range of 0.3s improvement on average. I don't see why something as big as a deflecting front wing couldn't provide up to a full second of increased performance.
There is no question it gives a huge advantage, especially now since they run narrower front tires than in the past. The extra downforce created in the high speed turns from the flexible wing, helps deal with the understeer many teams are battling with.

It is a matter of time before we see new wings showing up at the next few races. Vettel's quali time in Australia was just too good for teams to ignore. I guarantee teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes are working hard right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #25
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Imagine Hamilton in a car comparable to the RB7.
Sorry but in equal cars, SV still > LH.
      04-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Sorry but in equal cars, SV still > LH.
Thats your opinion. You are entitled to it.

..You'd be wrong, but still entitled.
      04-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

There should be a time trial fun day where all of the drivers are given the same car to do a few hot laps in...that would let us see who the fastest really is

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
There should be a time trial fun day where all of the drivers are given the same car to do a few hot laps in...that would let us see who the fastest really is
at least top gear has been able to do that for us w/ some drivers
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Imagine Hamilton in a car comparable to the RB7.
Yah, then what? Lol

Vettel would still have position on him
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #30
bliss at 9k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E90

Quote:
Thats your opinion. You are entitled to it.

..You'd be wrong, but still entitled.
I would say in out right speed Vettle has Hamilton. Maybe in experience and a full race situation Vettle still has room to grow. But out right speed Vettel has Hamilton.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #31
Jules-B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Autovogue 335i

Surely they could just look at the underside of the wing on the ends to see if there is any road rash!?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #32
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Yah, then what? Lol

Vettel would still have position on him
What do you mean then what? Then I enjoy watching him win as easily as Vettel has in the past 3 races.
      04-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #33
chris328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hamilton and Vettel are good drivers but they crash too much and neither is a team player based on history.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #34
EMP07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

^^ wow that is a lot of movement in that video. so clear on the straight.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328i View Post
Hamilton and Vettel are good drivers but they crash too much and neither is a team player based on history.
2 things, first off. What about Hamilton in the last year and a half makes you think hes not a team player? Him and Button get on pretty well it seems.

Secondly, These are F1 drivers. They have to be competitive. You don't get to the top by letting your teammate win. You need to go watch the Senna movie. Because even the great Senna was not a team player. He was out to beat not just Prost but everyone. Not to just befriend them for the team.
      04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss at 9k View Post
I would say in out right speed Vettle has Hamilton. Maybe in experience and a full race situation Vettle still has room to grow. But out right speed Vettel has Hamilton.
Let's not forget that "if" LH did lead SV while in equal cars, that SV would be breathing down his arse the entire time. After about 2 laps LH would have locked up his fronts like 100 times and flat spotted the crap out of his tires. Giving a, albeit slight, advantage to SV
      04-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #37
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

How little time it takes for some of you to forget that Vettel made just as many mistakes as any other driver last year.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 04-06-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #38
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
How little time it takes for some of you to forget that Vettel made just as many mistakes as any other driver last year.

When did the Vettel Kool-aid get passed around? Hes a great driver, but he's not perfect.
Can say the same about your LH-pandering. Who said Vettel was perfect? We're just responding to ur post about how LH would be unbeatable given SV's ride. Its a weak-sauce comment. McLaren should quit crying about RBR's front wing, and go plagiarize that s**t
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #39
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Can say the same about your LH-pandering. Who said Vettel was perfect? We're just responding to ur post about how LH would be unbeatable given SV's ride. Its a weak-sauce comment. McLaren should quit crying about RBR's front wing, and go plagiarize that s**t
I don't know about pandering.. I think you mean something else. I just made a tongue in cheek comment and everyone got their panties in a bunch. :P

Which I'll admit wasn't unexpected. This forum seems to be more anti-Hamilton for the most part. So I'm just doing my part. Anyways, we'll see whats what in 3 days!
      04-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #40
bliss at 9k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E90

Quote:
Let's not forget that "if" LH did lead SV while in equal cars, that SV would be breathing down his arse the entire time. After about 2 laps LH would have locked up his fronts like 100 times and flat spotted the crap out of his tires. Giving a, albeit slight, advantage to SV
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #41
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
i like how this thread got side tracked....

the bottom line is....the wing passed FIA scruitneerring and should meet FIA sporting regulation....
      04-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #42
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about pandering.. I think you mean something else. I just made a tongue in cheek comment and everyone got their panties in a bunch. :P

Which I'll admit wasn't unexpected. This forum seems to be more anti-Hamilton for the most part. So I'm just doing my part. Anyways, we'll see whats what in 3 days!
My comments were also tongue in cheek, hence the "" after it. Relax dude. We're just having fun. Don't be so sensitive. That is what I hate most about this forum. Everyone has to tip toe about what they say and can't just have some light hearted fun. If we were all the a bar together having this convo, we'd all be chuckling and realizing we all love F1 and are just having some fun. r-e-l-a-x everyone
      04-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #43
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My comments were also tongue in cheek, hence the "" after it. Relax dude. We're just having fun. Don't be so sensitive. That is what I hate most about this forum. Everyone has to tip toe about what they say and can't just have some light hearted fun. If we were all the a bar together having this convo, we'd all be chuckling and realizing we all love F1 and are just having some fun. r-e-l-a-x everyone
haha I'm not un.. relaxed. My original post made use of the same green smiley. I didn't have much issue with your comments, though I thought you were more of a Webber fan.

The bit about Vettel and his mistakes was just because this entire page, save for my posts is all about Vettel. Nothing against your post inparticular.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 04-07-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #44
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
haha I'm not un.. relaxed. My original post made use of the same green smiley. I didn't have much issue with your comments, though I thought you were more of a Webber fan.

The bit about Vettel and his mistakes was just because this entire page, save for my posts is all about Vettel. Nothing against your post inparticular.
Well I've been impressed with Vettel ever since his debut as a tester w/ BMW. Then I really became a full fledged fan of his after he got that first GP win with Torro Rosso, that was an amazing feat. I have also been a fan of Webber since his BMW days. To be honest, I am pulling more for Webber this year b/c I just think it would be awesome for him to win a championship before he's done. But obviously I'm going to root for each. I honestly have respect for each and every driver in the series this year. I can honestly say that I don't hate or dislike any driver in this year's field although I obviously have my favorites. LH has come a long way from the arrogant prick he was the last 1.5 seasons. I think that mid last season he really matured as a result of being around Button and also realizing that for all the talent he has, RBR just had a better package. Anyway, I will make my jabs but all in fun and as long as the racing is tight, I will always enjoy the outcome