ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-20-2024, 11:35 AM   #1
StiffNeck
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW Z4 3.0i

Oh my, what a difference!

I purchased an 07 Z4 with 85K on it back in the Fall of 2022. Since it was the 3.0i Roadster with all the trimmings including the sport package, to me it was a dream come true. It was not long before I did the 3 main mods being: a new aFe top of the line intake, the switch from the single intake manifold to the 3 stage Disa valved manifild all running on Active Autowerke's Z4 N52 tune. These mods were done at my mechanic since I am not anywhere near handy with automotive work unfortunately, but lucky enough to have a trusted shop that is. I then stupidly purchased the Active Autowerke's N52 performance headers without first checking in depth that they fit the Z4 chasis. It took a bit of work and cost, but with the help of Karl Hugh ( the middle brother of the three Hugh brothers that started and own AA ) we were successful in getting the header installed. The sound was amazing and still music to my ears. Later I made the mistake of trying to ad a lightweight performance muffler with some really nice chrome and carbon fiber exhaust tips onto the car, and while the shop thought it was the best sounding straight 6 they had ever heard, all I heard was an obnoxious amount of noise that was sufficient to have the stock muffler put back on and then I added some nice Italian SS exhaust tips. To me, the car sounds amazing without being obnoxious and is totally free of any drone.

Foward a year to this past Winter and I decided that I will be keeping this car until I can no longer drive I addredssed the real elephant in the room: the suspension, or lack of it. Using ECS I had the entire control arm assemblies and bushings replaced with the Meyle HD units and then went with the Blistein B6s all the way around opting for a bit more comfort over pure performance of the B8s since I will never track the car. Of course I ended up having virtually every component involved in the cars suspension replaced too at the time and while it was rather costly the results are so great that I felt the need to make this post to anyone thinking of replacing the concrete like shocks that came with the E85s. Amazing and incredibly comfortable which really surprises me. On a track, an experienced driver would probaly prefer the B8 or even more advanced offerings designed for such use, but if you are just tired of being beaten up every time you drive your older E85, believe me, having all the suspension components replaced along with control arms and using the Blistein B6s are certainly worth the cost if you simply like spirited driving on the road. Just wanted to share as it took me a while to find the courage to address the lousy stock suspension that is a result of many miles and age. And if you really want great sound, the Acitve Autowerkes N52 headers for the Z4 facelift model that will require a bit or welding and possibly track control arm bushings for clearance, is worth the effort. Amazing sound without being obnoxious.

I was really thinking of getting a Lotus Elise go cart but after this farily large upgrade I doubt I will be spending much time looking for one now as my beloved Z4 is just so damend fun, especially with the top down. Happy driving!
Appreciate 1
belcom178.50
      04-23-2024, 09:00 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Sounds like some proper mods! I had a 3.0si coupe so I know how wonderful that 3-stage intake can be. For exhaust, Eisenmann makes a system but it can be pricey. They're known to have a proper sound though, rich and throaty. I had Eisenmann cans on my Z4MC, great sound.

Suspension: I never refreshed either of my Z4 coupes but I did just do my 2002 Porsche 911. Just getting all that 20+ year old rubber out of there and fitting fresh stuff makes an incredible difference! I think that would be true for any sports car of a similar age.

Congratulations on the car. Z4's are very special IMO! Consider joining ZSCCA -- a truly great, very enthusiastic bunch of Z car enthusiasts. I've remained a member even though I don't own one anymore, just to stay in touch with them.
Appreciate 0