ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Australia
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
mangozac
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Any Z4M owners in SE QLD?

Hi all,

I love my 2.5i Zed to bits but a few months back I began yearning for more power. So I'm looking at either a 3.0si or Z4M but as many know these cars (especially the M) are much rarer here in Oz.

I'm leaning towards the M, but the price premium is high so I really want to go for a drive/ride in one to experience what it's like. People who know me have recommended the M, but I need to experience for myself.

So my question is this: are there any Z4M owners on here from SE QLD? Or does anybody know of one? If so I'd really appreciate being shown what the car is like so I can decide what I want. Coupe or Roadster doesn't matter - both will give a pretty good feel for it (I'm a roadster man for the record).

Fingers crossed someone out there will be able to help out!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
agc93
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Lightbulb Necromancy lives on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangozac View Post
Hi all,

I love my 2.5i Zed to bits but a few months back I began yearning for more power. So I'm looking at either a 3.0si or Z4M but as many know these cars (especially the M) are much rarer here in Oz.

I'm leaning towards the M, but the price premium is high so I really want to go for a drive/ride in one to experience what it's like. People who know me have recommended the M, but I need to experience for myself.

So my question is this: are there any Z4M owners on here from SE QLD? Or does anybody know of one? If so I'd really appreciate being shown what the car is like so I can decide what I want. Coupe or Roadster doesn't matter - both will give a pretty good feel for it (I'm a roadster man for the record).

Fingers crossed someone out there will be able to help out!
Sorry to resurrect the thread massively so long after the point and you may have gathered this with research but thought it worth pointing out:

The 'si' models only came in with the 2006 facelift models. All the pre-facelift models were only designated as 'i' since they had the heavier M54. Confusingly, after the facelift there was still a normal 'i' and an 'si' model, both with the new N52, just the 'si' justified the s with about 50 extra horses and a welcome increase in brake size.

With all that being said, if you're just interested in the engine, you could always try and find an E46 M3 (same engine as M Roadster and Coupe) and take that for a spin.

As for the price premium (last time I checked an E86 M cost literally double the price of a decent E85 3.0i!), you might also want to look into the 3.0i (full disclosure: I have a 3.0i). Before I bought this, I drove both the 2.5i and 3.0i (as well as matching E46 325Ci and 330Ci's) and they are chalk and cheese. While the 2.5 is plenty fun, as you pointed out, it could do with more power. The 3.0 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade on paper but it makes all the difference in practice. Mine goes like a rocket and serious hills are the only time I am left wanting.

Obviously this is all very subjective and not what you were originally looking for, but just my $0.02c.

Also, if you do go down this path, I know there is a 3.0i for sale down Nerang-way that I would never buy but you could take for a spin to get a feel for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Price premium is worth it They are special in a way not many other cars are.

I'm on the GC but haven't had my M coupe for a few years.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
mangozac
Australia
Rep

Better late than never!

Hi guys thanks for the replies! I did actually get introduced to a guy in Brisbane with a Z4M Coupe and he was generous enough to give me a drive. It was amazing and I definitely want one (in roadster guise) so I'm just being patient and waiting for the right one to be listed (and they don't get listed often ). It wasn't just that endless, linear power curve of the S54 engine. Everything about the car felt perfect!

The guy whose M I drove commented on the M54B25 in my Zed and reckons it's a terrible engine because it hasn't got enough torque. The 3L variant on the other hand is one of the best standard engines ever.

I was aware about the si variants and N52 engines, and the extra power is why that was what I was considering. Nearly pushed the button on a really nice one from Victoria too, but decided that I would always felt like I was settling if I didn't wait for the M

So if anybody knows an Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster going up for sale please get in touch as I'm very interested!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
agc93
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys thanks for the replies! I did actually get introduced to a guy in Brisbane with a Z4M Coupe and he was generous enough to give me a drive. It was amazing and I definitely want one (in roadster guise) so I'm just being patient and waiting for the right one to be listed (and they don't get listed often ). It wasn't just that endless, linear power curve of the S54 engine. Everything about the car felt perfect!

The guy whose M I drove commented on the M54B25 in my Zed and reckons it's a terrible engine because it hasn't got enough torque. The 3L variant on the other hand is one of the best standard engines ever.

I was aware about the si variants and N52 engines, and the extra power is why that was what I was considering. Nearly pushed the button on a really nice one from Victoria too, but decided that I would always felt like I was settling if I didn't wait for the M

So if anybody knows an Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster going up for sale please get in touch as I'm very interested!

From what I hear, the Interlagos ones (along with Imola) are quite rare, but I think there were one or two in NNSW when I was looking at mine.

Yeah, driving the 2.5 before I bought mine was wholly uninspiring but the 3.0 M54, for all its faults, is one hell of an engine

Since I've bought my roadster, I really want a Z4M coupe to round out the matching set now
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
mangozac
Australia
Rep

Yeah I think I've only ever seen one or two Interlagos on Carsales over the last 18 months. One looked really horrible and had white wheels! There was a bunch of Imola ones at the end of 2013 too. I have a spreadsheet for tracking all of the Z4M Roadsters that get listed

There's a Titan Silver M roadster for sale at a Nissan dealership in Springwood at the moment, but silver is such a boring colour and the hex aluminium interior trim just makes the entire package really bland.

For all the M54's faults? I was under the impression that it was a highly reliable engine and one of BMW's best?

Z4M Coupes are pretty cheap these days - and there's always a few available for sale. A couple in Interlagos too! Go on, round out the collection
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
agc93
Rep

Quote:

There's a Titan Silver M roadster for sale at a Nissan dealership in Springwood at the moment, but silver is such a boring colour and the hex aluminium interior trim just makes the entire package really bland.
Come on man, hold out and get one of the good colours!

Quote:
For all the M54's faults? I was under the impression that it was a highly reliable engine and one of BMW's best?
Oh, it's certainly one of their best but does have a couple of issues. Main ones that come to mind:
  • Weight! Compared to the N52 that came after it especially, it's a bit heavy-ish
  • Cooling. Oh god, the cooling. More of an issue on E46's than the E85
  • VANOS. Since it's still the early days, there are a couple of seals and things in the VANOS that can go bad over time. Most of them got fixed in the N52 engine

It's still an absolute rip-snorter though!

Quote:
Z4M Coupes are pretty cheap these days - and there's always a few available for sale. A couple in Interlagos too! Go on, round out the collection
Don't go saying that, I can't afford that and I'm not sure the gf will be real impressed if I come home with another fuel-sucking two-door!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
mangozac
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agc93 View Post
Come on man, hold out and get one of the good colours!
Absolutely! I know I just wouldn't be happy if I didn't! Gotta be patient - the right one will come up eventually!

Quote:
Oh, it's certainly one of their best but does have a couple of issues. Main ones that come to mind:
  • Weight! Compared to the N52 that came after it especially, it's a bit heavy-ish
  • Cooling. Oh god, the cooling. More of an issue on E46's than the E85
  • VANOS. Since it's still the early days, there are a couple of seals and things in the VANOS that can go bad over time. Most of them got fixed in the N52 engine
Ahh yes, I'm well familiar with the weight and VANOS problems, although that's the first I've heard of cooling issues. I'd add DISA flap pivot pin failure and good old rocket cover gasket leaks to the list, but fortunately out of all those things it's only the rocker cover gasket that has given any problems (touch wood). $30 bucks for a new gasket and an hours work one afternoon and she's sweet!

Quote:
Don't go saying that, I can't afford that and I'm not sure the gf will be real impressed if I come home with another fuel-sucking two-door!
Another reason why I'm glad to be single :P
Appreciate 0