ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #45
mziggy16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '01 911 C4 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAR4MC View Post
While i had the exhaust out for the Diff Rebuild, i also decided to clean up the exhaust cans and tail pieces... Polished them up nice and good...
Hey ZAR -

What was your method and products used to clean up the exhaust? I'm thinking of giving mine a similar treatment.
      06-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #46
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziggy16 View Post
Hey ZAR -

What was your method and products used to clean up the exhaust? I'm thinking of giving mine a similar treatment.
Hey Buddy,

> Take of the exhaust cans,
> Get some All purpose cleaner/degreaser and give them a nice scrub to remove what ever dirt/sand/debris. (dont scrub too hard, you dont want to make even more scratches for you to polish out in the next step)
> then get some good metal polish and a slightly Abrasive Metal polishing pad/wheel that you can attach to your rotary Polisher and then you polish the shit out of them.. (dont go with a very abrasive pad as it will create new fine scratches and you will need to repeat this process with a mild pad afterwards to take of these new scratches.)
> Lastly once you done polishing them, buff to a nice shine with a clean microfiber to remove any left over polish...

All the best, PM me if you need any advice....
      06-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #47
griebel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Garage List
2022 BMW X4  [0.00]
2018 M4  [0.00]
2008 Z4M  [0.00]
Did you replace your bearings with BMW OEM ones or did you do something different?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #48
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by griebel View Post
Did you replace your bearings with BMW OEM ones or did you do something different?
new OEM ones from BMW.
      06-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #49
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Really impressive DIY work. Just goes to show that you don't need the dealer to do all these jobs. But I am a chicken when it comes to things like rod bearings. The YouTube videos don't make it look any easier either. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #50
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
Really impressive DIY work. Just goes to show that you don't need the dealer to do all these jobs. But I am a chicken when it comes to things like rod bearings. The YouTube videos don't make it look any easier either. Lol.
Yeah i hear you.... Its why i paid to get the Rod bearings done in my Z when i had just got the car, that gives me plenty time to get comfortable with the process before i have replace them again.... the next time around though, i will do it myself

Last edited by ZAR4MC; 06-25-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #51
griebel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Garage List
2022 BMW X4  [0.00]
2018 M4  [0.00]
2008 Z4M  [0.00]
I am surprised you didn't go with WPC or BE bearings.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #52
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by griebel View Post
I am surprised you didn't go with WPC or BE bearings.
To be honest, at the time when i was getting them done, i would have had to import it which would have made it a bit more complicated, additional delays.ect and i needed my Z running ASAP as my daily was also acting up.

My brothers E46 M3 has the Vac Motorsport bearings and i will consider a stronger non OEM bearing shell next time around but i think i'm ok for the next 5 years now as i only covered +-9500 Miles since replacing the bearings almost 2 years ago.
      06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #53
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Great Thread, build and car! Keep it up!
Appreciate 1
ZAR4MC93.00
      07-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #54
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

I was bored a few weeks ago so I decided I’d pull off the front kidney grills from the car and and paint the chrome section in black just to see how it would turn out.

This pic of a UK car was the inspiration behind the colour change from chrome to black.

So I removed the Grills and split them

This was where one of the grills had cracked prior to me removing it so now I could fix it while it was out. Started off by securing it with adhesive so it doesn’t split open completely.

Some of the Pitt marks on these old grills

More visible after some light sanding with 320 grit

So After sanding it was time to mix up some primer.

Always strain the paint before putting it in the gun

Ready to shoot

First coat of primer down

The repaired crack starting to fill up nicely

After a few more coats of primer to ensure that there’s enough left on the part after sanding.

Done painting primer now it’s ready to sand with 600grit

After some sanding , the crack is no longer visible

Sanding completed , ready to paint

Then painted them Gloss Black

End result looks great

Finished off late so couldn’t get any decent pics but here is on of them Fitted them to the car

I’ll keep them like this for now while I decide if I want to redo them in Satin black or leave it as is for some time and later change the gray center section to Satin black with the gloss black outers.

Better Pics

07-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #55
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

On my quest for more Grip/handling... i started with coilovers and now was time to look at Tires . the OEM 225/45R18|255/35/R18 setup is not bad at all but on the really tight circuits like VKC/Gymkhana.ect, the front doesn't have enough grip .

First i was looking into running a 235/35/R18 | 265/30/R18 which i was going to fit but was then lucky enough to find 2x Rear (9J) Z4M rims in great condition so i quickly grabbed them as i had the bright idea of running a 265/30/R18 square setup on 9J rims both front and rear.

Next up My brother purchased a Set of M3 rims with Semi Slick tires for his car so i figured i'd test the 265 square setup with his 2 rear M3 rims (265's) and my Rear Z4M rims (265's) on the front.. This way i can confirm the setup will work before forking out cash for 2 more 265's for the other two 9J's.

I fitted the M3 rims on the rears and wanted to run some 6mm spacers i had lying around but the standard wheel bolts weren't long enough so i've ordered a set of 10mm Spacers with extended bolts. hopefully they will arrive soon...

In order to fit the 9J rims and 265 tires in front, I had to adjust the camber to as -ve as it could go for the tire to clear the wheel arch when the shock is compressed. there's still enough space between the tire and the strut so thats not an issue... Maybe i can run a 275 square setup at some point in the future.. [emoji1]

Once all was secure, I took the car for a test drive and my initial impressions are that the steering as lost some of its feel/sharpness with the bigger rim/tire in front but after i managed to get some heat in the semi's at the rear, i took the car on a few hard corners and the front end grip has improved drastically... it really gives the confidence to dive hard into the corner flat out! cant wait to try it out at the next event. [emoji49]

Next up - Paint the Z4 rims, put 265 tires on and fit it on the car...
      07-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #56
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Update : I went and fitted 4x new 265/35/18’s on the style 224 9j rims and had them fitted to the car. Still have to go and buy paint to have all the rims redone. I think I’ll try a new colour next time.

Then the spacers arrived from the US.

I was happy with the quality and they are very lightweight.

I Couldn’t wait to have them fitted so I got the rear in the air and installed them

Once that was done , I lowered the car and double checked I was happy with the fitment

Sitting nice fat [emoji16] looking badass [emoji48]

Went for a test drive and came back, all good , no rubbing against the front arches. Put the car back up and removed the rims.

I then took the 4 rims and tires and washed them with APC and a scrubbing brush to remove any chemicals/oils or release agent used when manufacturing the tires . Once they had dried, I brought them inside to apply the rubber treatment on all the tires.

Before rubber treatment

Applied Mothers tire care rubber treatment

Tire absorbing the rubber treatment

After two generous coats of rubber treatment

Rims were then fitted on the car, I wanted the two silver rims in front and the gunmetal rims at the back.

That’s it for now , Will update again once rims have been painted.
      08-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #57
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

You are a total inspiration. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 1
ZAR4MC93.00
      08-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #58
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
You are a total inspiration. Thanks!!!
Much appreciated, thank you.
      09-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #59
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Recent updates:

Managed to get together with some friends for a small breakfast run. Had these machines on some nice roads, was a lot of fun.

Some pics :

———-

Then I decided to attend to all the marks and scratches I picked up since the car was last detailed. Got the car jacked up, wheels off and these were some of the issues.

After polish, glaze, sealant and wax .

Looking nice and fresh again...

Once the car was clean, I put it back up to remove and clean the brakes , this is when I realized I running low on front pads.

I could have ran them for the hillclimb but they would need replacing before the track day so I decided to just get them replaced now with a few days to bed them in nicely before the event . Some pics :

After the brakes where done , I decided I’d paint the rims since I got tired of the silver fronts and gunmetal rears .
So I went to the paint store and asked them to mix me up some new gun metal paint.

Some pics of the work involved

Had the tyre letters done in red

And that’s it , I think I’m ready for hill climb now [emoji16]
      09-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #60
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Hill Climb Update:

For the last 9 or 10 years I’ve known about the Legendary "Krugersdorp HillClimb" , A Historic event dating back to 1912 and all these years 1000’s of cars and 10's of 1000’s of people have gathered on that very same hill to either compete or line up in the bushes to spectate.

With such competition, records were set and the current record still remains unbeaten. This was set at the 22nd Krugersdorp Hill Climb on the 23rd September 1967 by Bobby Olthoff who raced a 5000cc McLaren-Ford on this narrow, twisting,winding and tricky 0.67 mile (1.07Km) course at a time of 42.93 seconds. Amazing to see that till today, it remains unbeaten.
Here are some pics of Bobby Olthoff and his McLaren-Ford:

Other Historical Pics of this event

Some car clubs use to host an event there but I found out about it through The VW Club of SA who use to setup and host the Krugersdorp Hillclimb as an annual event, sadly when I owned cars worth taking there I never got the opportunity as work or something other would come up and after 2014 the event was no more due to it becoming so difficult to get approvals for road closures ect… This was a huge disappointment as I had always wanted to see what it was about and experience this challenging road which had claimed many cars and some lives over the years. Fortunate for us, somewhere in 2017 the VWCSA Team had started planning to revive the Hillclimb bringing it back in 2018. Their incredible efforts saw 70 Drivers registered, it was promising to be a spectacular day out… As soon as I heard about this, I called my brother and told him that we HAVE to enter or else it may never happen, He also agreed to enter and we set about preparing our cars for it. We attended to things like brakes, suspension, tyres to ensure our cars would be safe and ready on the day. The plan was to go through and get a feel for the car, the road and how they all work together… We were not going to abuse the cars with super hard launches, flat foot changes.ect but rather try to be smooth, neat and have fun and get a time that we be respectable for our first hillclimb.

9th Sept 2018 - The day of the Hill Climb – Track Length = Around 1.1km long

We arrived at the top of the hill around 7:50am, it was freezing cold, the wind was howling and people had already started flocking to the vendors to get their morning Coffee’s… We were greeted by the many drivers who had already arrived and started unloading cars, tools, kits.ect. and was humbled to see all types of machines getting ready to take on the hill.. GT40, GTR, GT3, GT3RS, GT2R, C63, Lotus, KTM XboxR, and many other cars… you could already see that this was a serious event and these guys were all here to push the limits… After a quick walk through the pits, we submitted our indemnity forms and went for drivers briefing.. Nate and I were in the 6th group so we had time to watch 50 cars or so run up the hill before we had to line up so we went through and found our spot on the side of the hill, sitting in the bush on some rocks and watching as the cars came raging up the hill. The first car we saw was the Porsche GT3RS and what a performance show he put on, screaming through up the hill, slashing through those corners, it was an amazing display of man and machine working together… Everyone around us loved it as much as we did… car after car, you could see the drivers trying to learn the road, their cars, the right lines for braking and cornering, you could see they were working hard!!!
The spectators attended by the thousands to support, groups of people could be seen all over the hill side…

But these guys had the right idea, They must have attended before as they came prepared… relaxing, Drinking wine and braai’ng… They looked like they really enjoyed the day.

After some time, they called our Group down, Nate and I had signed up together so we in the same group… Our numbers being 62 and 63 respectively… We fetched our cars and made our way down the hill, swerving and braking in certain areas to try to put some heat into the tyres as it was still very cold around 8 Degree’s at that point. Once we got to the bottom, we made a u-turn and formed a line, the marshal starting the cars off 1 at a time, waiting for the car racing to complete its run and the track to be clear before sending out the next car.. Eventually I get to the line, halmet on, gloves on, camera on, I put the Sport Button on, and engage M-Track mode for my first run as I have never raced on this road before… The flag drops and I do a small launch and get on my way, slight right, then medium left into a hard right hairpin, straight onto a slight right and into a hard left hairpin, straight onto a slight left into a hard right hairpin before the final straight onto the finish line. while arriving at the finish I remember thinking… "WTF just happened, it was so intense"… My first run saw a time of : 52.50 , A time I was happy with for my first ever run up the hill. Thereafter I knew I had to try different things if I was to improve on that, I had to run with full traction off since even with m-track mode on, the system was still slowing down the car too much on the hairpin corners, I needed to take better lines and brake later or harder… all these things to learn and less than a handful of runs to do it with… Every run I tried something different, take a new line, brake later, stretch a gear, go wide here, cut close there… On my 4th run I had set a time of 51.53 but by then it was time to go home and I wouldn’t see anymore runs to better that… The car is capable of a sub 50sec run and I hope to achieve this at the next Hillclimb now that I know the road.
Here are some pics of our cars and other race cars taken by the awesome Photographers who attended (Chris and Dylan)

All in all, it was an amazing experience which I will never forget and I hope to attend more of these in the future... Thanks to the VWCSA Committee and to all those who contributed for all your efforts, it was a huge success...

Here are 2 of my runs...
Run 2

Run 4

Also here’s a clip of our stock S54’s screaming as we passed some of the spectators.

These are the results for the RWD N/A Class, don’t think we did too bad since according to this we placed in the top half.

(Full results can be seen here: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/forms..._timesheet.pdf

Thanks for looking...

Last edited by ZAR4MC; 09-17-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0