ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

How to: Clean the inside of your Speedometer Gauge Window

I've noticed some residue and water spot buildup on the inside of my speedometer gauge cover, and I decided to take some pictures of my process after cleaning it today. It's really quite a simple job and I had it done in less than 30 minutes. I used Invisible Glass and a few shop towels to do the cleaning.

Step 1. Remove the single T20 Torx screw on the top, middle section of the gauge bezel. Once this screw is out, you can remove the entire gauge cluster with a couple good pulls.

Step 2. Once the gauge cluster has been removed from the dash, you need to unhook the cable that is attached. Simply press down on the black clip lock and then gently pull on the white clip. The cable will easily detach.

Step 3. Unscrew the four T8 Torx screws in the back of the cluster. Once they are removed, look for the black plastic clips on the sides and bottom. Carefully unhook them and pull the backing away. This will reveal the electronics and motherboard, so be careful.

Step 4. Removing the front silver gauge bezel can be a little tricky, since I didn't know what tool I was supposed to use to unhook the clips. I used a flat head screwdriver, but there may be something better. Start by unhooking the side clips, and then unhook the more difficult bottom ones (see picture).

This part took me the longest, but once the silver piece is out, it's a bit easier to remove the black piece that holds the gauge window.

Step 5. Clean the windows. Invisible glass worked great for me. Some people have suggested using an air duster to blow out any dust or dirt that may be hiding in there.

Follow these steps in reverse order to reassemble. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

A lot of work. Great attention to detail. Thanks for the write-up. I had previously never considered that this could be accomplished without damaging some parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Mine has got some water spots inside. Where would be a good place to get the 'invisible glass' from? An auto shop or is more of a grocery store type product?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Just wanted to bring this back up to say that I've just done this. For some reason the first screw for me was a T15 Torq, not a 20.

I was petrified of breaking those silver releasing locks that I ended up just swabbing the insides with a q tip. Would have been nice to completely remove them but after hearing how much these things are to replace I didn't want to risk breaking what may be quite brittle after ten years.

So it wasn't a perfect job but when looking at the dials now they look superb.

There are a few more guides kicking about on bimmerpost and the internet but this one was the best, even though its quite a straightforward job. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
OneFastMac
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this info is exactly what I needed. I'll be sure to update once I've been able to clean my gauges and post pics for the next owner that may find themselves needing this info!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Here's a video. It's made for folks changing gauge faces but it gets you to the same place -- and then some.

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 05:07 PM   #7
OneFastMac
Rep

The gauge removal and disassembly really is as simple as the first post makes it out to be.

Highly recommend anyone needing to clean their gauges to follow this guide (and the video posted above) because its very simple to do.

My biggest recommendation would be to use cleaner that doesn't have ammonia or highly acidic properties as it may etch the plastic lenses. I used a hybrid-ceramic auto detail spray to clean the lenses and prevent future moisture build-up.

Once I got mine apart, it was clear that a previous owner had had the gauges taken apart before and they hadn't used a clean towel on the lenses. They had some minor scratching so DO be sure to use CLEAN soft towels on your lenses.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
3798j11165.50
      01-18-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastMac View Post
The gauge removal and disassembly really is as simple as the first post makes it out to .
I did mine a few months back and I was shocked by how easy it was.
The thing that surprises me is how anything gets behind the lens much the less drips and smears, mine looked similar to yours.
Attached Images

01-18-2023, 10:42 AM   #9
OneFastMac
Rep

Having the cluster as loosely assembled as it is was a bizarre choice for a convertible haha

BUT, again, it is super easy to clean so I shan't complain too much!
Appreciate 0