ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
Zim11911
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi and E85 rebuild

Hello everyone New here wanted to say hi and share what is going on with my Z.
So late March I bought a 2003 2.5 si Z4 with 98k on it. I got a crazy deal on it and wanted to get a weekend project car that I could have fun driving to the gym and see if I enjoy playing around on the track.
At the time I bought it the Z did not consistently start like 1 out of 10 tries. After digging into it the EWS was not consistently responding to the DMW so after replacing the EWS and reprograming it started and drove well. I drove the Z to the gym several times then it was time to start sorting out things on it.
First, the classic oil leak from the valve cover it looked old due to burnt-on oil so I replaced the gaskets, valve cover, spark plugs, and coils. I was surprised by how brittle everything was. Next up were the lower control arms all the ball joints had gone bad, rear trailing arm bushings had gone soft, and shocks and struts looked to have never been replaced. So new Poly bushing all around and B6 shock and struts and lower control arms and it rides like new now.
The current step is to start sorting out the interior of the car with cracked plastic and scratched-up trim everywhere, needing a modern head unit. I have disassembled the interior and started sanding and repairing the plastic.

If there is interest I will keep this thread open for my rebuild and share the journey and hopefully learn a lot with yall along the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
3798j11329.50
      05-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
Zim11911
Rep

Well, bit of work tonight manage to get most of the trim colors updated to a nice red and started putting interior plastic trim pieces back in. I added two USB ports for the head unit I have plan to install. Later this week I plan to change the leather door cards from gray to black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:54 AM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I had the same car except it was red, sold it and got the coupe but I do miss it dearly.

Make sure to overhaul the cooling system ASAP. Both of my cars had coolant tower failures around the same miles as yours.

Wouldn't hurt to do the oil filter housing gasket, if it hasn't started to leak it will.

Also, look into the steering column issues, there is a fairly easy and free fix, you'll notice an odd sticking feeling when it gets hot out or when using the heater heavily.

If you haven't done the DISA flap upgrade that's an ASAP as well. The pin can come out and into the intake it goes, bad news for the engine.

You can do the upgraded Vanos o rings too, it does make a difference.

That's pretty much all of the issues with these cars. The E86 cars don't have some of those but have others instead. Nothing is a big deal if you can do the work yourself, which you obviously can. The 03 2.5i is incredibly easy to work on. Enjoy it and welcome!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:57 AM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Oh and one last thing. I see you don't have the SPORT button on that red trim around the shifter tunnel. Cool fact for the 03model is if you buy the trim that has the button the wiring is already under it and it's plug and play. Tightens up the steering and the throttle response is greatly improved. Worth doing, I pretty much always drive in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:39 PM   #5
Zim11911
Rep

cool thank you so much for your response and the shared information. I have ordered a replacement expansion tank since there seems to be a little bit of cracking as well as new radiator hoses. The service records I have show that the water pump was replaced about 10,000 miles ago. For the failures you saw, was it the water pump or other parts of the system? I took your advice and ordered the flap upgrade for the Disa as well as for the Vanos. I will order the sports button and I appreciate the recommendations.

Last edited by Zim11911; 05-02-2023 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 08:18 PM   #6
Zim11911
Rep

well got some more work done on the car interior. changed to door pannel leather cards and started on a double din housing for the radio.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0