ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Rear CAT Delete with RPI?

My coupe runs the RPI rear set up and I don't find it to be too loud. That may be because I don't mind a good sounding if somewhat loud exhaust note (as long as there is little drone in a closed car), or possibly the RPI cans have broken in and gotten a bit quieter than they would have been when first installed (I have heard that this happens - true?).

Apparently the secondary CAT presents significant exhaust back pressure. I had thought of removing it or just gutting it, but wondered if anyone had actual experience with this, using RPI or similarly 'sporty' (i.e. a bit loud) exhaust boxes at the rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
My friend tracks his Z4MC and went full catless on the car with the RPI mufflers to the tune of 104+ dB that posed issues at a few of the local tracks where limits are generally <100dB.

I do not recall if he did an intermediate setup with one set of cats still on the car. Either way, the car runs straight pipes back to the stock mufflers now and its loud but not as extreme.

On the bit about exhaust components "breaking in"- my Stromung exhaust increased in volume after a few months, has stayed there ever since. I do not know of any instances where a car gets quieter.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I've had RPI's for several years now for a mostly daily driven car. I think it did get a bit quieter after some time but it's been so long ago really that it may just be getting used to them.

First time i ever heard of someone saying they're not loud enough though!!
      11-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
This is true. When I first installed my RPI's, the car sounded gloriously loud. I captured the sound of it after 3 days of driving around and it sounded loud in video too. Now, it doesn't sound as loud when revving and also in video, sounds a bit more tamed.

This is the only exhaust that I know of for the M that seems to get quieter within time. Not to say it's a quiet exhaust. It's still the loudest of them all.

I do have Euro catless headers, DKF S pipe with race cats but changing them to resonators as soon as the car is out the shop. I'm also swapping the stock X pipe for a straight through X pipe with no resonator. I want it louder and preferably to spit flames once I get it tuned.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
The exhaust isn't getting quieter, we're just going deaf

I'm happy with my setup of Fabspeed (catless) headers, stock US-spec section 1 (which I believe have smaller cats than the Euro-spec), stock X-pipe, and RPi 'mufflers'.

But it is loud.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
XMetal1128.00
      11-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
The exhaust isn't getting quieter, we're just going deaf

I'm happy with my setup of Fabspeed (catless) headers, stock US-spec section 1 (which I believe have smaller cats than the Euro-spec), stock X-pipe, and RPi 'mufflers'.

But it is loud.
What? What did you say??? I can't hear you

Most people say exhaust "break-in" as they age and gets quieter, but I think they're either getting used to the noise, or their ears lost a few dBs in sensitivities. Think about this for a moment. As the mufflers age, more of the sound deadening fiberglass materials get burnt off, which means it should get louder, not less.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Haha perhaps, Rockstar has a valid point, however, people that haven’t heard my car in a while also say it sounds quieter than it did when I got the cans installed. I could literally see the fiberglass materials being burned off and once gone, it didn’t sound the same. Also, my hearing seems to be as good as new based on the recent government hearings tests I’ve had. Only way to test this is to use a dB decibel meter
Appreciate 0