ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
CarribeanZ4
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2007

Pump & Hydrolics - 2007 Z4

Hi Forum

I've recently had a garage diagnose my 07 convertible Z4 as having a defective roof motor. Accordingly, I ordered the replacement part and had them replace it.

However, they have told me that, apparently, after refitting the motor and replacing the roof, they realised that the hydrolic line was leaking too.

They are now saying that they need to remove the roof again to refit the hydrolic line. They say that, apparently, it is impossible to test the full hydrolic system while the roof was off the car, ergo I need to pay for the roof to be removed and refitted again.

Grateful for any views.

Best
M
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

I have seen more than one video on how to test roof motor with roof out of the vehicle
Here's a short one

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmrbee View Post
I have seen more than one video on how to test roof motor with roof out of the vehicle
Here's a short one

Yea, as noted above you can test the system off of the car.

However, I'm honestly not sure how they pinpointed a blow line as the source of the leak without pulling the top again. A loss of pressure might be either a blown line or a faulty hinge lifter. However, since your top was just worked on it could also be the line connection (there are four) to one of the hinge lifters was dislodged when the top was either taken off or reinstalled.

Did the top work when it was returned to you?

Show the video to the repair shop so they are aware there is a method of checking the hydo system with the top is off. Ask them to check the line connections to hinge lifters, as they might have been jarred lose during there work. Then, if need, ask them to top off the system with hydo fluid and test the system to determine where the leak is actually located
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
CarribeanZ4
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2007

Hi guys

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks so much for your answers. I used that information to get a discount from the garage and, more importantly, to get them to remove the hydraulic lines and cylinders.

I then sent the cylinder away to top hydraulics to be refurbed.

However - in the meantime the car has stopped working, as in won’t turn on - so I haven’t had chance to get them to implement the fix. Will update further once I have it working again.

Best
M
Appreciate 0