ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Which Z4 should I buy?

Hey guys, I've been looking for something fun/affordable to take to the track and think I've arrived at a 3.0 e85 Z4 roadster

I'm looking at two right now and hoping you guys can help me pick or provide some insight based on your experiences.

2006 3.0 90k miles tear in the roof, rear quarter has been painted, no accidents reported $10,300

2007 3.0si 152k miles seems to be in pretty good shape based on miles but have not seen the car in person. $9000

Both cars are 6speed, the standard seats for me are to slippery for the track so I would have to swap those out with some recaros or maybe if you guys know a common M3 or m sport seat that fits well. How are these n52 engines with hogh miles? Can I trust picking up one of these with 150k miles? Thanks for any input

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1

Last edited by thatg; 05-25-2021 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Need more information on the cars in question. Given track duty you'll want to inspect all of the bushings at this age, rotors/pads/calipers and check the engine for any oil seepage (oil filter gasket, valve cover, etc.). A pre-purchase inspection from a reputable shop goes a long way.

Are you looking at roadsters or coupes? Going to need rollover protection for most track day outfits with the convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
thatg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Need more information on the cars in question. Given track duty you'll want to inspect all of the bushings at this age, rotors/pads/calipers and check the engine for any oil seepage (oil filter gasket, valve cover, etc.). A pre-purchase inspection from a reputable shop goes a long way.

Are you looking at roadsters or coupes? Going to need rollover protection for most track day outfits with the convertible.
Hey thanks for the reply only looking at roadsters. The one with 90k miles for $10.3 is local so i drove that yesterday. Handling felt tight but smooth. The si with 150k miles is up in Seattle so it would be sight unseen. I know a ppi is probably $2-300 but I'm stubborn that way, and dont think these dealers would give me a break for some worn out bushings.

I did just find an 06 with 74k miles but looks like it literally has no options. Not even a sport button, manual seats.

Is there a package most people regret not getting? I know on an old 335i i had it was a non sport and the seats/suspension really made it a much worse experience than if it had the sports package

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Kind of to piggy back on what 86zed touched on, check tracks in your area first or where you want to go for convertible requirements. Some tracks around me allow stock roll hoops, some low speed auto x. But others require more roll over protection than stock. Cheap/affordable might be an oxymoron pending on what track you’re trying to get set up for with a e85.

If it’s a dedicated track car you’re going to change out the sport shocks/springs anyway, if it’s a manual you won’t benefit as much from the crisp throttle allowing for higher rev control like in an auto, so if you went non sport you’re really loosing the heavier steering feel. If you went prefacelift you could easily convert to hydraulic steering.

If there’s already a need to put a new roof on, pending how you go might be cheaper to source a used hard top. If you need the hard top prep kit let me know, I have it still in package no need for it on my e85 as I just picked up a e86. If you cage it you’ll either have soft top up all the time or pull it off all together so hard top option might be something to look in to.

Last edited by Piper1; 05-25-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
thatg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Kind of to piggy back on what 86zed touched on, check tracks in your area first or where you want to go for convertible requirements. Some tracks around me allow stock roll hoops, some low speed auto x. But others require more roll over protection than stock. Cheap/affordable might be an oxymoron pending on what track you’re trying to get set up for with a e85.

If it’s a dedicated track car you’re going to change out the sport shocks/springs anyway, if it’s a manual you won’t benefit as much from the crisp throttle allowing for higher rev control like in an auto, so if you went non sport you’re really loosing the heavier steering feel. If you went prefacelift you could easily convert to hydraulic steering.

If there’s already a need to put a new roof on, pending how you go might be cheaper to source a used hard top. If you need the hard top prep kit let me know, I have it still in package no need for it on my e85 as I just picked up a e86. If you cage it you’ll either have soft top up all the time or pull it off all together so hard top option might be something to look in to.
Thanks for the advice here. So I'm looking for this to be a summer cruiser/take to the track once a month. I did a bmw M track event back in September and had a blast. The track would be a completely new experience as far as taking my own car. Initially it would be pretty casual depending on how much fun I'm having with it 😅

I don't expect to keep the car longer than a year, but will definitely be doing a lot of canyon carving and some road trips here and there so i would like the car to handle as well as stock options (maybe some m upgrades) would allow, while still being somewhat comfortable for a trip.

I thought the si model would check a lot of those boxes with the bucket seats/m suspension, but they seem tricky to find. I didn't want to wait for a lower mile one to pop up so I'm leaning toward picking up this one with 150k miles

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Thanks for the advice here. So I'm looking for this to be a summer cruiser/take to the track once a month. I did a bmw M track event back in September and had a blast. The track would be a completely new experience as far as taking my own car. Initially it would be pretty casual depending on how much fun I'm having with it 😅

I don't expect to keep the car longer than a year, but will definitely be doing a lot of canyon carving and some road trips here and there so i would like the car to handle as well as stock options (maybe some m upgrades) would allow, while still being somewhat comfortable for a trip.

I thought the si model would check a lot of those boxes with the bucket seats/m suspension, but they seem tricky to find. I didn't want to wait for a lower mile one to pop up so I'm leaning toward picking up this one with 150k miles
There are differences between non M sport suspension and actual Z4M suspension. Some searches will give you the overall details. I never tracked mine on stock sport suspension, prefacelift are common to have rear springs break and mine went couple years into owning it so that all got upgraded then. Maybe someone who’s tracked stock could help on that front.

If you don’t plan on keeping the car more than a year I’d recommend slower speed auto crosses so you can learn the car, least to start. Worse thing you can do is push a car you haven’t had a lot of seat time not knowing how it reacts. If you’ve not done much track to this point and want to learn more there’s nothing better than going to school, getting as much feed back and knowledge from one on one instruction and learning the car is worth it and you’ll come out of it with skills you never knew you had. Example I push my Z4 harder and faster on the same track where I later had the opportunity to take a new Shelby gt500 for couple laps on.

Key area don’t cheap on brakes. It’s the only thing that stops your car safely. We all like to go fast. You’re going to have to slow and stop some time. Gotta be ready for when you do.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
thatg
Major
Rep

Thanks, thats solid advice on starting with auto-x are there any good websites/forums/clubs for that kind of thing out in Socal?

I think the stock stuff on an Si should be sufficient. My concern for this particular one was the high miles and things i might need to replace/how much longer would the motor last
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Thanks, thats solid advice on starting with auto-x are there any good websites/forums/clubs for that kind of thing out in Socal?

I think the stock stuff on an Si should be sufficient. My concern for this particular one was the high miles and things i might need to replace/how much longer would the motor last
Here’s one site I found for you. https://www.solo2.com/ myautoevents.com is more for around my neck of the woods but an easy google search should find what you need. Also check out the track section here if you haven’t yet.

As far as the motor and mechanics if maintenance has been kept up with sure it’d be fine to push, more miles more owners makes it tougher to keep track of so high mileage try to get as full of a service history as possible and get someone to inspect it thoroughly.

Last edited by Piper1; 05-26-2021 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

FYI, the lci n52 3.0 has a lower hp output than the pre-lci m54 3.0i. Probably negligible. You can convert the 3.0i to a 3.0si by swapping the intake manifold and a tune.
They are super fun. However at that mileage, you should plan on doing many R&R.

Others can chime in, but I didn't find much difference engaging the sport button with a manual. It's more pronounced with automatics.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
FYI, the lci n52 3.0 has a lower hp output than the pre-lci m54 3.0i. Probably negligible. You can convert the 3.0i to a 3.0si by swapping the intake manifold and a tune.
They are super fun. However at that mileage, you should plan on doing many R&R.

Others can chime in, but I didn't find much difference engaging the sport button with a manual. It's more pronounced with automatics.

Agree!

For 2003 to 2005, the 3.0i was 225 hp. For 2006 to 2008, the 3.0i had an n52 engine producing 225 hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Your asking a hard question, I don't normally chime in on these kinds of threads, but thought I'd give you some advice.

Track in these things is super fun, but setting one up for safety and handling will cost you cash, which you won't get back when you sell it. Your talking about owning one for a year and moving on? With those miles/age, you'll want to refresh quite a few things to safely partake on any track event, which won't be worthwhile if your selling in a year..

Find something you'll hang onto longer than a year or 3, or just buy whatever and don't invest any cash in it as your selling it anyways.

Hard choices, rember to keep smiling and keep it safe. If your track oriented, I'd look for a coupe as mentioned before, lots of tracks have restrictions. Oh and it gets even more complicated if your installing harnesses/seats.

Enjoy