ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

Airbag light - how to reset?

The previous owner of my Z4M coupe must have dropped some coffee or chocolate into the seat preset buttons because they stick down quite badly when you press them. So today I took the seat out and disassembled the whole mechanism and cleaned it up all nice. The buttons work like butter now. But in the spirit of breaking at least one thing for everything you fix, I now have an airbag light on my dash.

It must have been from taking the seat out, but it never occurred to me that this would happen just from unplugging a power seat. I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, but no luck. I checked on my OBDII scanner, but it says no codes.

Do I really have to take this thing to the dealership to have it reset?

Pic for the hell of it.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

You have to disconnect battery to prevent the fault light illumination you have.

The SRS fault light needs to be reset using the appropriate software. If you don't have it...off to the dealership you go....

There are a few code readers that are capable of resetting SRS faults...... I prefer to use my software.
      04-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
You have to disconnect battery to prevent the fault light illumination you have.

The SRS fault light needs to be reset using the appropriate software. If you don't have it...off to the dealership you go....

There are a few code readers that are capable of resetting SRS faults...... I prefer to use my software.
Thanks Clearancediver

I think i'm going to never unplug anything from this car ever again without disconnecting the battery. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I had the same problem when I first got mine. Display select button on the end of the turn signal stalk, too.
Latte', I suspect.
Just used generous quantities of rubbing alcohol on Q-tips and repetitive button pushing.
      04-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Follow up and a happy ending. Just took my car to my mechanic and he cleared the code for me for free. Took him about 1 minute. He is an awesome guy.

He told me a few things which I found interesting.

When the airbag light is lit you have a disabled airbag system and it won't deploy.

Also it is OK to take the seat out as long as you don't turn the key in the car.
I put my keys in and rolled down my windows when my seat was out and that got me this code. Had I not done that, I would have been OK.
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      05-02-2018, 02:19 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsoda View Post
Follow up and a happy ending. Just took my car to my mechanic and he cleared the code for me for free. Took him about 1 minute. He is an awesome guy.

He told me a few things which I found interesting.

When the airbag light is lit you have a disabled airbag system and it won't deploy.

Also it is OK to take the seat out as long as you don't turn the key in the car.
I put my keys in and rolled down my windows when my seat was out and that got me this code. Had I not done that, I would have been OK.
Glad you got it sorted mate

however you Indi mech is not correct... well kinda not..

The airbag light isn't just connected to the airbag of the car, its also connected to the passenger weight matt and the complete SRS system.

So its code dependant if the airbags wont deploy in a accident.

your airbags might be completely fine, and you have an issue with your SRS, guaranteed your airbags will fire in case of an accident, your pre-tensioners might not.. So you see, its code dependant, however one thing is always true, if you have an airbag light on, you should get that fixed asap.

v.