ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #45
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Flow dynamics? Nfi,
I guess nfi means you have no fucking idea. That's a shame, for I had assumed you must because otherwise making these sorts of statements about intake flow analysis would be pretty much worthless.
Quote:
those snorkels going down and connecting up to your OEM Z4M intake hole, youll be getting about 1/8th of the air that this intake can handle and pretty much useless in that regard.
Quote:
and yeah oem Z4 air hole at that rpm that will provide enough flow at this stage
Quote:
youll be strangling the intake
Given the above and the idea that imo BMW would have applied at least some math to the design of their intake (for instance it sits in a low pressure area of the front end) which would be needed to supply an S54 with enough air, and that we know this intake is also able to supply more than enough air to a supercharged s54 which will need more than any NA version I think I'll drop out of this conversation here

Best of luck with your project, I hope it works out well for you.
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #46
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
WTF is this???

What is the purpose of those 2 huge holes? And where is the radiator?
Those are actually pretty cool, induction resonance optimised intakes. If you can tune the resonant frequency of the intake to peak as you hit max power you can increase the volumetric efficiency. These are good on a race car as they generally tune the intake runner for operation around in the smaller rev range that it will be working in, for a road car it is less than ideal as outside of this range the resonance will have negative effects on efficiency. If they have some way on this to vary the runner length that would be really really cool, I don't know, but that would definitely need a pretty fancy ecu.
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #47
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Lol mate, they are not air intakes, but direct exhausts for the radiator. Maybe you should be typing nfi a bit more too if you think those exhaust are air intakes.

Still would be great if you could post up the bottom end of your snorkel so we can see how large it is compared to the actual flap snorkel.

Anyways, it's ok to have different opinions, that's what makes us all unique, and how we find out different ways to do things. It's all good Tom, nothing personal implied mate. I just wanna see if we let this intake breathe better if we can up the performance a bit. Would probably require extra fueling and adjusted maps, but hey, can't hurt to try.

Last edited by Vanne; 06-03-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #48
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Lol too, you're probably right. My first thought was that they were acting as some kind of s-duct helping flow attach to the car by ducting air from the floor, but reading the specs of the car it notes a "Carbon fibre airbox with resonance induction optimised inlet pipes", that got my mind twiddling (it uses a helmholtz resonator design which can have similar shapes) . Any better pictures of the intake mouth out there? Either way it looks pretty badass!
Listen, I'm not saying that you are wrong (I don't have the knowledge to calculate it), it's indeed possible you might be right, but without any analysis on the system how can you be so certain about the statements you make?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #49
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Your right Tom, I can't mate, but seeing as most S54 NA race cars with our intakes seem to have huge intake frontal area, must be for a reason. Either way, no harm done.
Gonna give it a go, if it works, great, if it doesn't, nothing lost.
      06-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #50
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
This is how the Karbonious looks like with the trimmed snorkel. A more elegant solution is needed. I wrote Karbonious if they are working on a Z4M specific snorkel, we'll see what happens.

I am not sure if I can feel any difference in mine after full exhaust, CSL intake and Alpha N tune. Seems a but too loud with the Stromung mufflers and Rogue X pipe but I still have some adjustment to make. X Pipe is/was rubbing on one of the braces.

It'll be interesting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Vanne1593.00
ANILE8178.50
      06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #51
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Alright, alright. I will be first in line. It's confirmed official on their facebook page. I hope it's soon. I want it in before we do the Fall cruise in Canada. Muahahaha
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      06-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #52
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPower View Post
Alright, alright. I will be first in line. It's confirmed official on their facebook page. I hope it's soon. I want it in before we do the Fall cruise in Canada. Muahahaha
Great news! I'll be in line to buy as well.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      06-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #53
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Oh SNAP !! time to plant another money tree in my backyard and water the shit out of it!!
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      06-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #54
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Oh SNAP !! time to plant another money tree in my backyard and water the shit out of it!!
Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #55
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Guys I can see we are a lot of us with the need for the Karbonius snorkel. Maybe it is time to go for a group buy? And also start thinking of the best solution how this snorkel should be designed?

Before 20 days and more I have send them detailed measurements from my car about the snorkel, but I have no news to hear back from them.

Last edited by FD3S; 06-19-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #56
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPower View Post
This is how the Karbonious looks like with the trimmed snorkel. A more elegant solution is needed. I wrote Karbonious if they are working on a Z4M specific snorkel, we'll see what happens.

I am not sure if I can feel any difference in mine after full exhaust, CSL intake and Alpha N tune. Seems a but too loud with the Stromung mufflers and Rogue X pipe but I still have some adjustment to make. X Pipe is/was rubbing on one of the braces.

It'll be interesting.
This picture shows exactly what I was trying to say in the above posts. That oem inlet is tiny. I hope Karbonious are not just looking to straight connect it to that inlet?