ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

how to change this bulb on e85?

I noticed not all Z4's have this parking light on the rear bumper... in either case my US car has it, and the passenger side bulb is blown. How do I change it? I checked the wheel well, tried twisting it from outside, and tried from the trunk... doesn't seem to be any logical way of removing it...?

The bulb I'm talking about is for the round red parking lights on the SIDES of the car.. (not in the tail light assembly)

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

i thought it pops out?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Yea it pops out. I had to do mine about a year ago. It's kind of hard to get out, but it does. I think you might need a little flathead screwdriver to pry it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Thanks, I'll try to pry it from the outside.
Found it kinda odd that the manual contains instructions on how to replace all the exterior bulbs, even the license plates... but does not mention those two.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Might have been an oversight, since only North American cars get them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

man I don't know how you guys got yours out. I tried a little screwdriver, it scratched the paint. I tried a larger screwdriver, it scratched the paint. I tried a suction cup, the whole bumper flexes outwards. :|

I'm going to try again using a larger suction cup... I have my Garmin NUVI still, thinking that cup oughta pop it out without damaging anything. *crosses fingers*
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

They weren't designed to be removed from the outside - there are fasteners on the inside of the bumper that you have to get to by removing some trim pieces (rear wheel well trim, etc...)

They are the rear side marker lights that are only required in the US - other countries don't require the front and rear side markers.

I could be wrong, but I thought those lights were LEDs. In either case, the BMW TIS instructions say to remove the rear bumper covering to get to them.

*Edit*
Looks like there aren't any screws, but it may be fastened on the inside by plastic clips. Here is a picture of the inside from TIS:

If I remember correctly, I could see the inside of the side marker lights when I had the rear tail light assembly removed. You can remove that by taking the plastic cover off in the trunk, and removing the 3 nuts and unplugging the electrical connector. After you pull the tail light off, you may have enough access to the side marker light without having to remove the rear bumper or any other trim pieces.

Last edited by scottyD; 11-11-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

First thing you need to get on order is a set like this. Never use a screwdriver for prying, they are meant for screwing

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Trim-Faste.../dp/B000I28MKU

These willl save your paint and other items and are a must for removing door panels and other trim pieces.

Other than that, remember they rarely build it so that you have to take a screwdriver and pry on it. Everything fits in a certain way and the best thing to do is be patient and search hard for a good diagram like the one posted above.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Darn, too late. Well I did it Rambo style and took a big ol' Suction cup to it and popped it off after a few tries. (no damage to paint or anything) Only the red reflector popped off, and underneath as ScottyD said is, two mini-LED lights on a tiny circuit board... and it's heat-glued to the backing. So the bulbs (LED's) are obviously not meant to be changed individually. I'm assuming a replacement is a dealer part I will have to order.

I'm thinking something might be up. It's rare enough for a single LED to blow, but both? Maybe a resistor went.... maybe something fishy with the wiring. (I just got the car used, so no idea what's been done to it if anything.)

If I remove the trunk carpet on the passenger side, I see a black box near where the light is, but not exactly on the other side of the light. There are wires going to it, but no obvious way to remove it. But that wouldn't make sense either if TIS says to remove the wheel well lining to gain access. Since the trunk is sealed it should be separate from the bumper cover + light. Hmm. Unfortunately I won't be able to take the wheel off + remove the lining until I drive back to my parents place... don't have the tools or level ground to work on in the condo I'm in.

Thanks for the replies and taking the time to post up the TIS instructions.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You get to it from under the car.
remove shields etc from around the bumper behind the rear wheel.
You will also have to partially remove the wheel well liner.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Yeah, looks like TIS says to remove the screws underneath the bumper cover, and to remove the expansion rivets in the wheel well. Just doing that might allow you to get an arm in there to pop out the old one and put in the new one without having to remove the whole darn bumper just to fix the light.

Odd that the LEDs are both burnt out - I agree. Maybe play with the electrical plug connector in there to see if it's loose.

If you need a new one, looks like these are the parts you need:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...60&hg=63&fg=10
Appreciate 0