ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

H&R coils installed, need more low

so i greatly assisted in the installation of my H&R coilovers this past weekend and noticed that my rear is maxed out at the lowest setting but is not as low as i would have ideally preferred.

the only way to go lower would be to get shorter springs at this point, however i also have a set of eibach sport lowering springs unused that i was previously going to install before deciding to go coilovers

my question now is if anyone knows the height of the eibach springs and/or the height of the H&R springs that come with the coilovers?? ideally i would have measured them side by side but i did not know i wanted to go lower until after they were already installed.

presently my 04 z4 3.0i (w/sport) sits about 1.5" lower in the front and about 1" lower in the rear than stock. the ride is pretty damn harsh in the rear and on some of my local shortcut roads i take to work which are riddled with bumps and holes the ride is not very friendly feeling at all. did get up to about 100 mph (hard to do on this small island) on our only toll road/epxress way this weekend and it felt smooth as glass and the ride was excellent on new tires/wheels (19's) and new h&r suspension.

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 10-14-2013 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
BobbyDee
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 E85

lowering the z4 on coils, you must live where streets are free come pot holes and dips.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

not hardly. been driving low for 10 years now.
      11-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Any pics so we can see how "not low enough" you are while maxed out? I'm currently shopping for coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

soon come.

got to see my car drive by a few times with someone else driving for the first time yesterday and it looked really good to me, the z4 is really starting to grow on me.
      11-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

sorry for the bad pictures and for taking so long, i just can't seem to remember to take pics when we are at random awesome spots every weekend. i never seem to forget when in my vip crown though

this is at my work on an Army post in Okinawa, sometimes it seems like they just issued out toyota altezza's

better pics in the future i promise:

11-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
newbizie
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0i

Seriously nice stance!!! any lower you will be tucked!! i say bag it
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

thanks ^ ^ ^

anyone experienced annoying clacking sounds coming from a corner (in my case its the rear passanger corner) after installing coilovers? gonna have a mechanic check it out again cuz i think its getting worse but he said he couldn't see anything visually wrong or buy prodding around.

only happens when going over bumps on that side.
      12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
so i greatly assisted in the installation of my H&R coilovers this past weekend and noticed that my rear is maxed out at the lowest setting but is not as low as i would have ideally preferred.

the only way to go lower would be to get shorter springs at this point, however i also have a set of eibach sport lowering springs unused that i was previously going to install before deciding to go coilovers

my question now is if anyone knows the height of the eibach springs and/or the height of the H&R springs that come with the coilovers?? ideally i would have measured them side by side but i did not know i wanted to go lower until after they were already installed.

presently my 04 z4 3.0i (w/sport) sits about 1.5" lower in the front and about 1" lower in the rear than stock. the ride is pretty damn harsh in the rear and on some of my local shortcut roads i take to work which are riddled with bumps and holes the ride is not very friendly feeling at all. did get up to about 100 mph (hard to do on this small island) on our only toll road/epxress way this weekend and it felt smooth as glass and the ride was excellent on new tires/wheels (19's) and new h&r suspension.
All springs that I know of have the length and spring rates on the springs. Some are in code. Unless they are the same spring rate or you know the weight of the rear, measuring the height won't tell you much about how they will sit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

yeah this is pretty much what i figured, thanks for confirming this ^ ^ ^
      12-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
thanks ^ ^ ^

anyone experienced annoying clacking sounds coming from a corner (in my case its the rear passanger corner) after installing coilovers? gonna have a mechanic check it out again cuz i think its getting worse but he said he couldn't see anything visually wrong or buy prodding around.

it was the exhaust and exhaust mount that was causing this annoying squeak and clanking sound. i know the roads are real shitty around where i live and now that the suspension is even stiffer and i drive even harder i guess this caused the exhaust mounts to have more stress. problem solved
      12-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah
thanks ^ ^ ^

I've got the same problem but my sound has now squeaks. Just a clunk. I've only noticed it doing a hard left . I haven't pushed the car lately to reproduce the sound. I had my mechanic look at it and he said everything looked fine. Next time I get a chance to drive the Z, I'll try to reproduce the sound again.
      12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

you must be trying to get featured on stance nation

that looks good as is...any lower is too much imo.
      12-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

i thought i responded on here a couple days ago but it looks like it didn't take.

originally i said something like:

thanks ^ and my other car is even lower and more stanced out (flush but not poking

so to me this is what my eye and preference is trained to at the moment. my other car (05 toyota crown grs182) and previous three cars (lex 05 LS430 UL, lex 99 gs400, and 95 y33 nissan/infiniti gloria/M ) have all been slammed and stanced (flush).

the z4 must really be designed differently than my other car and previous 3 cars cuz when slammed on wheels that fill out the wheel well diameter wise and tucking at least 50% of the top of the tire by the fender the cars have all still been about 4" off the ground. if i lowered my z4 another inch to where it was tucking about half the tire it would only be like 2" off the ground.

my personal preference is to have at least half the tire tire tucked under/inside the fender (front and rear) and to be flush within 1-2mm in the rear (meaning the tire is 1-2mm away from inside fender lip) and flush enough to drive (plus turn although a lot of my other car friends can't necessarily say the same thing and not ruin a front fender.

i am close but still about 1/2 drop and a 5mm spacer away in the front from achieving my goal which is currently possibly, but in the rear i am about 1" drop and another 10mm spacer away.

do they make any SS kits for the z4 like they do for vip styled sedans? it is essentially a spacer that raises up the mounting point of the wheel which then in fact lowers the car more without having to change the springs or anything. if i could put in a 20-30mm ss kit in the rear and some bigger rear spacers then my current wheel setup would sit perfectly on this z4 in my opinion.
      12-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

No.
      12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

the ss kit is also referred to as an RCA kit and this is what it looks like:

just changes the mounting position by acting as a spacer essentially lowering the car down more. maybe i can get some custom ones made if i can't find any online ;D
      12-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Bag it... Like this..

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903595
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

can't afford another air setup (time or $ wise), plus this car (z4) was supposed to be function over form,, hmmm, maybe it is good where it is at now then going off this logic
      04-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nice pics. I've never seen mud flaps installed before. I bought a set years ago that now I'm thinking about installing.
Appreciate 0