ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
I checked out a bunch of reviews on G2/Dupli color/POR15...think I'll put this on the back burner for now. G2 red is not very red, more like burnt orange, the 900* rating is better than the others, looks like a pretty good project to get the car all up on stands ( tough for me at the time ) then all the cleaning prep/masking. Going to just do the detail.
My lug nuts are pretty crappy looking, thinking about getting a brand new set. Has anyone ever tried an aftermarket lug nut, or just stick to OEM ?
The G2 is two part expoxy and when I did mine I split the paint and hardener in half and did the calipers on one side of the car on Saturday and the other side on Sunday.
      03-23-2017, 04:06 AM   #24
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Good to know, with the mixing I did not know that they could be split in half and resealed. I do want to do this and doing half one day makes a lot of sense and it would be easier to take half the car up a bit to get the wheels off and certainly easier to do the detail to the wheels with them off the car.
      03-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #25
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC (Bianca)

I like the idea of paining the calipers, to dress up the area behind the wheel. Being an Auto-xer, eventually the plan is to do a brake upgrade, but for now, I think the paint is the way to go. I just ordered some of the free swatches from G2.

Any pictures of this paint on the calipers? I'm looking at the Orange currently, but read here that the red is closer to what I'm looking for (copper/burnt orange).
      03-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #26
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I like the idea of paining the calipers, to dress up the area behind the wheel. Being an Auto-xer, eventually the plan is to do a brake upgrade, but for now, I think the paint is the way to go. I just ordered some of the free swatches from G2.

Any pictures of this paint on the calipers? I'm looking at the Orange currently, but read here that the red is closer to what I'm looking for (copper/burnt orange).
Here's some pics of the G2 red.
Attached Images

03-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #27
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Nice, those look great ! My OEM stock M wheels cover up a lot of the caliper, but your wheels have a lot of "openness" to them. I didn't graduate from brake school, but that metal tab across the front ( ? ) Mine look like crap. I don't want to remove the whole caliper, but is it possible to order 4 new "tabs" Is it an easy process to take off/reinstall ? While keeping the caliper on the wheel and intact ? Wish G2 RED was more " RED " I did read in my research that you can custom order any color for $100. I didn't know they had swatches they send you for free. I may consider going with a totally different color, so as not to clash with my Imola Red.
      03-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #28
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice, those look great ! My OEM stock M wheels cover up a lot of the caliper, but your wheels have a lot of "openness" to them. I didn't graduate from brake school, but that metal tab across the front ( ? ) Mine look like crap. I don't want to remove the whole caliper, but is it possible to order 4 new "tabs" Is it an easy process to take off/reinstall ? While keeping the caliper on the wheel and intact ? Wish G2 RED was more " RED " I did read in my research that you can custom order any color for $100. I didn't know they had swatches they send you for free. I may consider going with a totally different color, so as not to clash with my Imola Red.
The anti-rattle clips are pretty easy to change out and you don't have to remove the caliper, just the wheel. You can buy a full set at Autozone for less than $20 if memory serves me correctly and they have a better finish than the OEM BMW parts. The ones on my car in the photo are from Autozone.

Here's how to remove and replace the anti-rattle clips easily.
Attached Images

Last edited by dc_wright; 03-25-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      03-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #29
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thank you so much for that easy to understand pic, way easier than trying to polish them. Anti-rattle clip....Oh that takes me back to brake school
      03-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #30
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for that easy to understand pic, way easier than trying to polish them. Anti-rattle clip....Oh that takes me back to brake school
The BMW parts will polish up nicely, but they're made from a steel that's very rust susceptible so it doesn't last very long. The Autozone clips look to have a pretty good zinc plating and hold up pretty well.
      03-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #31
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I checked them out on the O'Reilly website, yep $20 front and back specific, well worth the small investment if doing all this. I ordered the free swatch from G2 today in RED, the color on the site " looks " real dark. Hoping maybe they recently made a change. I'm a dreamer. They had a Q/A on the site. They don't recommend trying to do half one day, half the other. All about needing to weigh the two parts, to make sure they are equal. Said you would need a jewelry scale. I load my own ammo ( part time gun enthusiast ) so I have scales, but I can see where pouring out 2 parts, taking consideration for what is left in containers....could be a challenge to get them EXACTLY perfect. Already thought about taking two identical small containers, putting them on a scale, pouring little by little to get them balanced by weight. A bit of extra trouble, but being a perfectionist is part of the fun. I'm pretty sure getting 1/2 the car up is doable at this point, all four off the ground...not NOW. I'm going to check my jack in the back, maybe that would help, since my stupid floor jack is too tall. Harbor Freight has a low rise/speed jack on sale for $ 79....MMMmmmm
      03-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I checked them out on the O'Reilly website, yep $20 front and back specific, well worth the small investment if doing all this. I ordered the free swatch from G2 today in RED, the color on the site " looks " real dark. Hoping maybe they recently made a change. I'm a dreamer. They had a Q/A on the site. They don't recommend trying to do half one day, half the other. All about needing to weigh the two parts, to make sure they are equal. Said you would need a jewelry scale. I load my own ammo ( part time gun enthusiast ) so I have scales, but I can see where pouring out 2 parts, taking consideration for what is left in containers....could be a challenge to get them EXACTLY perfect. Already thought about taking two identical small containers, putting them on a scale, pouring little by little to get them balanced by weight. A bit of extra trouble, but being a perfectionist is part of the fun. I'm pretty sure getting 1/2 the car up is doable at this point, all four off the ground...not NOW. I'm going to check my jack in the back, maybe that would help, since my stupid floor jack is too tall. Harbor Freight has a low rise/speed jack on sale for $ 79....MMMmmmm
I used a small kitchen scale to spit the two parts out into equal weights. Your ammo scale probably has even better resolution, but it doesn't have to be perfect. It's two part epoxy so there just has to be sufficient hardener added to the paint for it to catalyze and harden.
I've got the Harbor Freight low profile long reach jack, and I still have to get some 2 x 12 under the front tires to get the jack under the car to the center front jack point.
      03-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #33
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I had to go back and realise we have hijacked this thread. Well I'm just claiming to be a newbie to car forums in general and just point fingers. I wheel detailed yesterday, with Brown Royal ( posted pics on my BRAKE DUST thread, or maybe it's not mine) Anyway Post # 13 referred to MGP caliper covers as being used and liked ( how this thread started MANY years ago ) I just went to CarID and for the Z4MR they have some nice, "aerospace" aluminum powder coated ones, red looks red, that seem pretty well designed and built, 45 reviews that seem pretty strong. Easy on, one wheel raise at a time, few minute install, no fuss, no muss. $199/free shipping. Seems a bit steep. Now, as far as heat build up or some other problem, that is another question. The MGP states LESS DUST/LESS FADE- Do to infrared temperature study PROVING 30*-50* cooler brake temps. They say that the heat is dispersed better than no cover at all. MMMmmm.... Both have their merits of trying. I just know that using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent is my present BandAid.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 03-26-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0