ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Newbie: BC or Vogtlands or ST X?

Hi there everyone!

I'm looking into a set of coilovers for my non M. I'm primarily looking for ride comfort. Since I'm in Canada and we are notorious for getting ripped off on car parts, I've narrowed my search down to BC Racing, ST X and Vogtland coilovers due to my budget.

Between the two, which would:

a) be more comfortable
b) easy to deal with warranty
c) adjustability
d) better lifespan

Please do suggest other coilovers in this price range as I am just looking for coilovers for regular daily driving and cruising. No tracking.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by SwissArmy; 03-19-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think if you're looking for both comfort and lifespan, go with oem shocks/springs.
You'll loose the adjustablility, but lowering will always result in less comfort or you'll risk the car bottoming out.
As for lifespan I haven't seen anyone doing 100k+ miles on the same coilovers, whereas stock suspension examples are abundant.

If you still want coilovers (and take the extra harshness into account), inform with the manufacturer what spring stiffness it has in case of linear springs. Progressive springs are difficult to rate in that way, but are usually a bit more comfortable.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
SwissArmy140.50
      03-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think if you're looking for both comfort and lifespan, go with oem shocks/springs.
You'll loose the adjustablility, but lowering will always result in less comfort or you'll risk the car bottoming out.
As for lifespan I haven't seen anyone doing 100k+ miles on the same coilovers, whereas stock suspension examples are abundant.

If you still want coilovers (and take the extra harshness into account), inform with the manufacturer what spring stiffness it has in case of linear springs. Progressive springs are difficult to rate in that way, but are usually a bit more comfortable.
Thanks GuidoK. I was thinking about OEM shocks and springs but I do want the lowered look. I understand lowered ride height cannot effectively attain the same comfort as OEM but I am just looking to get something as close as possible to OEM ride quality. I will have to look into what linear and progressive springs are because I am totally new to this.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I debated on adjustable coilovers as well and ultimately decided I did not need them.
Went with lowering coils and high quality adjustable shocks/struts. Ride is a little harsher over OEM but I prefer a stiffer ride.

If you can hold on till spring we could meet up and you can see for yourself.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I debated on adjustable coilovers as well and ultimately decided I did not need them.
Went with lowering coils and high quality adjustable shocks/struts. Ride is a little harsher over OEM but I prefer a stiffer ride.

If you can hold on till spring we could meet up and you can see for yourself.
The ST coils? Hmm...Looking to purchase in about 2 weeks only because I'm sick and tired of frame banging on my OEM struts + H&R lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I found I needed a 15mm spring pad in the back to bring the ride height where I wanted it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0