ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #89
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
What a bunch of elitist crap. Bravo for purchasing your daughter a safe, well built and for the most part reliable car. I would rather this than some el cheapo rice burner or American made plasti-box. Sure its a fast powerful car - but have you ever seen a kid whizz by you doing 80 mph in a Civic? I sure have. THAT is a death wish. At least the Z will handle speed with ease. I am not advocating speeding but merely bucking the general idea that a kid should drive a piece of junk when learning - to me that notion alone is irresponsible parenting.

Teen Survival School is one of the best things you can do for her as a new driver as others have stated.
Amen brother!

How his child will treat this car is directly related to how he raised her and the values that were taught. Period.

I grew up with alot of very weathy kids and some got it and some were just dipshit luxury car totaling machines.

Having been in a serious crash in a Z4 I can tell you these cars are pretty damn safe.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #90
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
Its kinda funny that everyone thinks these cars are too fast. Sure they are fast, but many cars can hit 100mph with ease these days. Any new car is going to have what you listed Hud-Z but the general tone of this thread is that she should have an old beater to start with....that is where I disagree. My daughter (17) - drives a 2009 Lexus RX 330. Trust me it can hit 100 mph pretty easy - but its the safety stuff around it that swayed me to buy it for her. If anyone is into boats - think Bayliner vs a good brand. They all meet Coast Guard standards, but Bayliners tend to come in when the seas get rough - why? Because they JUST MEET the standards where the higher end boats far exceed them. This is the comparo I am suggesting.
I agree that I would not want my teenage son driving a beater. But I think that Teenager + high performance sports car = high risk of a bad outome. I expect that most actuaries working for insurance companies would agree with me. There is a reason why insurance rates for teenagers are so high.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #91
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=TheBroker;11413468]How his child will treat this car is directly related to how he raised her and the values that were taught. Period.
QUOTE]

No. Its more like this:

How his child will treat this car, most of the time, and especially when the folks are watching, is directly related to how he raised her and the values that were taught.

Its that other portion of the time, that worries me.

I was a pretty conservative and cautious kid. But I still remember the time a 17 year old me was doing wheelies on my RD400 a few blocks from the house, unaware that my Dad was watching me from three cars behind. And to make matters worse, my brother would go NUTS on the thing, all the time, and he never ever got caught by the folks!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 02-24-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #92
All American 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 si Coupe

woohoo my view count passed 2,000!

I was worried I wasn't going to make it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #93
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

If you posted for a view count you are a DICK.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #94
All American 6
Private
Rep

That wasn't the initial intent. It kind of grew into that. Lighten up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #95
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Lighten up Frances
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #96
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Lighten up Frances

"Take it easy, Kid. It's only a thread."

::slinks back into the shadows::

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #97
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ
What a bunch of elitist crap. Bravo for purchasing your daughter a safe, well built and for the most part reliable car. I would rather this than some el cheapo rice burner or American made plasti-box. Sure its a fast powerful car - but have you ever seen a kid whizz by you doing 80 mph in a Civic? I sure have. THAT is a death wish. At least the Z will handle speed with ease. I am not advocating speeding but merely bucking the general idea that a kid should drive a piece of junk when learning - to me that notion alone is irresponsible parenting.

Teen Survival School is one of the best things you can do for her as a new driver as others have stated.
Elitist crap? I think the opinions shared here have been pretty interesting... even if I doubt the legitimacy of the original post... even if I might not agree with much of what's been written. It's all been in good fun.

Anyone suggesting that a low slung sports car is purchased for its safety devices is fooling themselves. Car vs. object impacts, the Z4 is a pretty tough chassis. I've worked enough accident reconstruction to be able to say with some certainty though, that car vs. car collisions... the heavier the car & the higher the belt line and bumpers, the better the occupants inside seem to fare. In these specific areas (weight, belt line, bumpers) the Z4 looses to just about everything else on the SUV/truck/minivan dominated road.

I would never suggest anyone buy their kid a crappy/unsafe car, or that they must work their way up to something "nice"... if you can afford it, buy new and be proud that you can. But don't expect anyone to believe your buying ANY low slung sports car for the safety measures they afford to you or the new driver in you family with their freshly minted learner's permit.

For what it is, the Z4 is as safe as it can be. For a new driver, it's not a safe car. Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #98
All American 6
Private
Rep

I've just reread Finnegan's post on the Tire Rack driver course. It's in Atlanta this April. For $75 sounds like a good daddy daughter day. I'll have to find out if they will allow a learners permit driver to attend. The BMW course only allows licensed drivers. AA6
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #99
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6
I've just reread Finnegan's post on the Tire Rack driver course. It's in Atlanta this April. For $75 sounds like a good daddy daughter day. I'll have to find out if they will allow a learners permit driver to attend. The BMW course only allows licensed drivers. AA6
That is a good price.

Check Porsche Club of America courses in your area, too. Where I'm at, you don't have to be a member/bring a Porsche, they're less expensive than the equivalent BMW course and often use the same group of instructors.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #100
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

My comments here have always been motivated with safety as a concern. Given that you have decided to permit your daughter to drive this car, and given your faith in her trustworthiness, a driver training program is certainly an excellent idea.

Also, as the car is an SI, it may still have run flat tires. You may wish to consider replacing them with conventional tires. I found that on rutted pavement, the run flats constantly wanted to pull the car in directions other than where I wanted the car to go, for example, closer to the lane of oncoming traffic than I found comfortable.

And I really would consider asking your dealer if Sport mode can be disabled without damaging the car. Your daughter may be trustworthy, but perhaps not so for a friend of hers who may convince her to let him/her drive it one day.

Cheers and safe driving!

Last edited by Huz-Z; 02-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: fix spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #101
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure you can just unplug the sport mode button...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #102
All American 6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Also, as the car is an SI, it may still have run flat tires. You may wish to consider replacing them with conventional tires. I found that on rutted pavement, the run flats constantly wanted to pull the car in directions other than where I wanted the car to go, for example, closer to the lane of oncoming traffic than I found comfortable.
I've experienced this. I didn't realize it was the run flats. It could easily cause an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
I'm pretty sure you can just unplug the sport mode button...
I'd be interested in more info on this.

Thanks,
AA6

Thread on a complete multi-day detail coming soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #103
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6 View Post
I've experienced this. I didn't realize it was the run flats. It could easily cause an accident.
Switching out the run-fluts is probably the best thing you could do safety wise. When I had my 3.0si the tramlining completely went away when I got rid of them
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #104
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
Switching out the run-fluts is probably the best thing you could do safety wise. When I had my 3.0si the tramlining completely went away when I got rid of them

I am running with Hankook Ventus V12's that I got from Tire Rack at a great price. They are a massive improvement. Others here have installed other conventional tire brands and been equally pleased with the results.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #105
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Might want to also pick up this compressor (seller didn't clarify if he was selling it as well), but if he is, it's a great idea since you won't have run flats.
      02-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #106
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Might want to also pick up this compressor (seller didn't clarify if he was selling it as well), but if he is, it's a great idea since you won't have run flats.
Great idea!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #107
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Holy hell this turned into something weird! If i had the cash I'd do the same thing, maybe a different car but something along those.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #108
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Some of you guys are going pretty hard on the OP, what is the big deal with him buying this car for his daughter? It's a $25k car with a non-M motor, it's not like he bought her a new M5. It's small but also agile and probably safer in a crash than a brand new similarly priced Kia or Hyundai. Drive past one of the high schools in my town and take a look at what the kids are driving, lots of BMW's 3 series, 5 series, X3's, Range Rovers, Mercedes, lots of Mustangs and even some Porsches and Vettes, the student parking lots has beter cars than the teachers parking lots. My first car was a brand new Chevy S-10 BAJA pick-up, it's what I wanted at the time (1989), my younger sister got a brand new Mustang LX 5.0 for her first car and my dad bought it for her before she even had her license, she never killed herself in that car and that was long before the days of ABS, and DTC stuff. The OP's daughter will be fine if she has a good head on her shoulders, she can just as easily hurt herself or somebody else in a "family" car as she can in a sports car.

Last edited by partlowr; 02-28-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #109
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

This is insanity. NO child should be driving a new car bought by their parents. Driving a car is a luxury. If they want a car, they can get a job, or work for their parents and save up to buy their own freakin car. Maybe a 15 year old safe hand me down that needs a little elbow grease.

Maybe it was the way that I was raised. Maybe its because my parents didn't have that kind of money. I do know that even though I pay cash for all my cars, I still wouldn't buy a 15 year old a NEW(ish) car.

Let me guess-----he's making payments on the car?????
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #110
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
This is insanity. NO child should be driving a new car bought by their parents. Driving a car is a luxury. If they want a car, they can get a job, or work for their parents and save up to buy their own freakin car. Maybe a 15 year old safe hand me down that needs a little elbow grease.

Maybe it was the way that I was raised. Maybe its because my parents didn't have that kind of money. I do know that even though I pay cash for all my cars, I still wouldn't buy a 15 year old a NEW(ish) car.

Let me guess-----he's making payments on the car?????

We really need a "have a cookie and sit back down in the corner" smilie up in this bitch.
Appreciate 0