ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #45
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 MCoupe

I got my daughter (same age) an 04 330xi - you are very brave getting her a small red 2 door performance sports car! Make sure you tell her not to let ANY boys drive it! After my 330ci was blindsided by a semi and totaled with the interior untouched, BMW is worth it for the safety.

06 Cayenne S / 07 MCoupe / 01 330CI / 04 K1200GT

Last edited by udme86m; 01-23-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #46
All American 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
i have no idea the point of the OP
Same as anyone else that comes here. Excited about a new car. Want to talk and learn about it.

We're having fun with the car.

Post went in a different direction than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 MCoupe

Welcome and congrats!

06 Cayenne S / 07 MCoupe / 01 330CI / 04 K1200GT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #48
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Wow! What a cool gift. Let's hope she appreciates it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6 View Post
Same as anyone else that comes here. Excited about a new car. Want to talk and learn about it.

We're having fun with the car.

Post went in a different direction than I thought.
Indeed. Threads like this, at least on forums I've been on, tend to go this direction. I'm not defending that, or saying it's wrong, just that they do. The way the thread started unfortunately looked a lot like some disingenuous threads we've seen here in the past. That started a reaction--but I'm betting you had no way of knowing that or the OP might have been a bit different.

For the most part we're a pretty good bunch here, helpful and knowledgeable. In fact, this one of the most calm and polite forums I've had the pleasure of interacting with. I think if you were to poke around the rest of the forum, look at threads, and see what's going what I say is borne out in fact.

So, impressions after having the car a couple of days? Pictures of the car in addition to the shots on the dealer's site? Comparisons to the car you currently drive, or cars you have driven? I'd bet you're having a hard time not driving it...a lot.

You can always start a new thread (I enjoyed the comparo you posted), since this one hasn't gone the direction you hoped. We're happy to answer any question you might have (general, mods, car/feeding of the car, etc.) and talk and learn about the car. So feel free to post up questions, or tag on to an existing thread.

It might help to start a new thread that focuses on those impressions or questions. What you decide to do is of course up to you.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-23-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #50
Swanicyouth
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M

What, you couldn't get her an ///M?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #51
All American 6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
I wanted one. There's not that many for sale in the condition, desired color, and auto. Got me thinking: The opportunity to obtain a low milage m or si coupe is coming to end.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #52
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

She's gonna hate the wood.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #53
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
WTF?! I hope you're joking...snide remarks like these give M owners a bad name. Get off your high horse
Quote:
Originally Posted by e for effort View Post
I'm from a middle class household and I have to say that although I've had a lot of help from my parents financially, I never took it for granted. I honestly wouldn't buy my first child a nice car either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make them slave over a shitty job to only end up getting a Geo Metro when they know dad has the means of buying something nicer and SAFER. Unless your kid is a complete let down and can't meet any of your expectations as a child, then I would concur that they only deserve what they have thus showed for. Good grades, respect, loving, helpful, regard for human life, and understanding the world around them. The things I just listed are a few to name that I would reward my child for accomplishing.

EDIT:

This could also be a cultural thing.
Well said! I agree wholeheartedly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
She's gonna hate the wood.
She better not complain. Having a car to drive at age of legal licensing is nice enough as is!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #54
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Nice!! I'm also an only child and my first car was my dream car. It was a '97 Honda del Sol VTEC. It was a stick and I got it when I was 15 1/2. Unfortunately only a few months after I got my license I totaled it into a telephone pole. Luckily I was alright but obviously I was devastated.

Definitely get your daughter to some advanced driving classes, as others have mentioned, and also just lots of talks about safety and what's acceptable on the road vs. the track.

Congrats to her though, I'm sure she's ecstatic. What a gorgeous car.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #55
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Nice!! I'm also an only child and my first car was my dream car. It was a '97 Honda del Sol VTEC. It was a stick and I got it when I was 15 1/2. Unfortunately only a few months after I got my license I totaled it into a telephone pole. Luckily I was alright but obviously I was devastated.

Definitely get your daughter to some advanced driving classes, as others have mentioned, and also just lots of talks about safety and what's acceptable on the road vs. the track.

...and Original Poster...Nikki is female,giving your female solid advice.

Other direction of thread>>.....I too saved up at 13-15 yrs. old and bought my first car ( Datsun 240-Z). My Dad made me be sure and have extra saved for a 12 month insurance guarantee and maintenance slush fund too.

I ended up being the only guy in my friendship circles that NEVER became stranded due to a cars breakdown or nailed for service repairs due to knowing the machine inside and out....and I didn't end up a mechanic.( Not that there is anything wrong with that either for those that are).

I think as a parent, teaching the kid to do well in school,hold a part-time job and the skills that follow to support their own car is a HUGE advantage in maximizing their later adult maturity and decision making behavior.

But some get it and some don't. I'd love to see the results of a 30+ year long study of these outcome differences in parenting styles. Truly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #56
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Plan A is now Plan B

Pardon the intrusion. Can't keep quiet on this one....

Plan A is now:
Keep the Z4c for yourself.
Buy her an e36 318is/i Manual Tranny, for example...

Plan B: Give her the Z4c as a graduation present, like from college!

TEACH her to DRIVE first with a manual tranny.
It will be more fun, she'll be cool because she learned a skill from Daddy, easier car to handle/ not too much power, still a safe cage, Less Chance to drink lattes and text.... it may save her life!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #57
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American 6 View Post
I wanted one (an ///M)... not that many for sale in the condition, desired color, and auto...
ie: NONE!

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #58
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
This is a pretty funny thread. I didn't think it would go this far. I'm beginning to agree with one of the posters who mentioned that the OP was just trolling and making a statement that the Z4 is for teenage girls. We fell right into his trap.
      01-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
This is a pretty funny thread. I didn't think it would go this far. I'm beginning to agree with one of the posters who mentioned that the OP was just trolling and making a statement that the Z4 is for teenage girls. We fell right into his trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Pictures of the car in addition to the shots on the dealer's site?
This would go a long way to making that determination. The first pics were just pulled off the FS listing on the dealer site.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #60
All American 6
Private
Rep

Dark, Raining, and Dirty

I wanted to wait until the car was clean and light enough outside to get a pic with the kid doing a "Toyota Jump"

It has been raining in the Atlanta area for several days.

Updated the pics. We're digging this car.
Attached Images

Last edited by All American 6; 01-29-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #61
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:

Great advice! the best part is when you drove it into a telephone pole and totaled it. There is a huge different between a FWD, 160hp del Sol and a high hp and torque Z4.
Anyway, it is the OP daughter and his money so he could do whatever he wishes
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #62
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e for effort View Post
I'm from a middle class household and I have to say that although I've had a lot of help from my parents financially, I never took it for granted. I honestly wouldn't buy my first child a nice car either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make them slave over a shitty job to only end up getting a Geo Metro when they know dad has the means of buying something nicer and SAFER. Unless your kid is a complete let down and can't meet any of your expectations as a child, then I would concur that they only deserve what they have thus showed for. Good grades, respect, loving, helpful, regard for human life, and understanding the world around them. The things I just listed are a few to name that I would reward my child for accomplishing.

EDIT:

This could also be a cultural thing.

Well said and I can see where you are coming from. Some families/cultures are different. You are absolutely correct. We should take that into account as I made a blanket statement for all kids at that age. I apologize for that but at the same time todays parents...I am speaking now of guys/gals born in the 1970s and even late 1960s seem to have become soft. But I can see giving your kid something better if you can afford it but to me they should somehow earn it if they really want it. Good grades are a good one, having a job, being a stellar kid and just being an overall good person in society. No bums, drunks, druggies, etc..

Last edited by Endless619; 01-24-2012 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #63
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

haha I had the same del sol vtec. I liked that old car. Not fast by any means but a cool 2 seater in my price range back then.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #64
claritycheck
Rolling Republic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
Well said and I can see where you are coming from. Some families/cultures are different. You are absolutely correct. We should take that into account as I made a blanket statement for all kids at that age. I apologize for that but at the same time todays parents...I am speaking now of guys/gals born in the 1970s and even late 1960s seem to have become soft. But I can see giving your kid something better if you can afford it but to me they should somehow earn it if they really want it. Good grades are a good one, having a job, being a stellar kid and just being an overall good person in society. No bums, drunks, druggies, etc..
Yeah, I'm sure 99% of people can see eye to eye with this.

I also agree that there are a lot of parents out there that have become "soft." I am solely speaking about those that give their kids things that aren't deserving i.e. in my culture there are tons of 18 year old kids driving Ferrari, Lamborghini, 911, GT-R, and you know that kid doesn't deserve it more than half the time. You can bet your ass I'll hate on those kids, because deep down inside they know they don't deserve it, but they know they're entitled to it, because of their parents position.
      01-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #65
lodewijkV
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Snowwhite

So many jealous reactions! Some of you should be ashamed.

It's not because his daughter gets a beautiful car most of us could only dream of at that age, that's she is automaticly going to wreck it!
Her father will probably teach her good and she'll be a perfect driver !

Good luck & have fun with this stunning ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #66
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

What you were too cheap to buy her an M?

I kid I kid! Mfan put the knife down...

Welcome to the family!

Don't mind the hate, it's coming from a good place. Although it may not sound like it, it's (mostly) concern for your daughter's well-being. I'd echo the comments that you make sure you show her how easy it is to lose control of the rear tires, especially if wet. A car clinic is an excellent idea.