ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Installed: Strong Strut Strut Tower Brace and Firewall Braces

So, took me the better part of an hour to slowly remove the stock firewall braces as well as install the strong strut and the new stiffer firewall braces.

Definately looks a lot nicer under the hood now so that alone is already a big plus.

However, where it matters is the handling! Immediately after a quick test drive, I already noticed that the front end felt less "floaty" and more planted to the ground. The car did not have the tendency to tramline like it did before on bumpy roads. Definately noticed that I didn't have to fight the grooves in the road to maintain a straight line.

Strut tower brace, be it ACS, Strong Strut, or OEM, I recommend this as a must upgrade part!

Also noticed after recieving my European Car mag in the mail, they installed the OEM STB on their Z4M Coupe project car. They took it to the track and using GPS traqmate, were able to determine that having the STB present, they shaved an average of 2 seconds off of their lap times.

So no, its not just me, the STB is definately a must!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Pics please!
      07-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
IQ-Man
Beer Engineer
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 supercharged, Movit Brakes

That the braces give an advantage of 2 seconds laptime... well that's definitively reverie. Not even 0,2s

But it is right, that they raise the stiffness a lot! And the strange thing is, that it's more important to change the stock "firewall braces" (I just call them "short braces"), than mount the long strut brace.

We have tested it on a body test bed from the M GmbH and found out, that just the two shorter braces increase the stiffness of the front part of the body about 40%!! Of course I don't know, how strong the strongstrut braces are... but they look not half bad!

Here you find my braces:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72411

www.Z4Racing.de
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

pbdm4k - After seeing the strong strut on your car,..... it's really tempting to make a change.
It's a great quality piece.

I may just drop them a line and ask about their design, related to front end impact.
It's hard to imagine it as a problem, but it'd be interesting to know if they designed for it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

The OEM firewall braces and Dinan firewall braces have a flute on the underside of the brace to allow them to buckle and fold in the event of an impact.
Paul @ Strong Strut said that the holes machined into the bars would allow them to collapse.

However the front tower bar alone was enough of a difference to make this a worthwhile mod!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
IQ-Man
Beer Engineer
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 supercharged, Movit Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Paul @ Strong Strut said that the holes machined into the bars would allow them to collapse.
Don't think that this is true.

But (!) the M GmbH sais that it's no Problem with stronger struts at this place.

www.Z4Racing.de
Appreciate 0